Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Will it be? Soarin' works because it's a serene tour. I'm not convinced this is going to be anything other than Minion Mayhem pt 2.
And Despicable Me Minion Mayhem is a popular family attraction. If they can equal the humor of DM it will be a success. A family ride doesn't have to be serene.

The description a page or so back sounds cool. I think it would be an awesome, fun-for-everybody type ride if everything in the park wasn't a simulator already. Imagine this at Busch Gardens or Cedar Point or something tho--would be kinda cool. But at Universal it's repetitve.

I consider a "family attraction" to be something that doesn't exclude people. Minion Mayhem induces motion sickness and has a height requirement. *shrug*
That's are pretty strong requirements for a family ride. That would exclude just about anything at the parks. I'd be more inclined to say that a family ride is one that includes the vast majority of family members across the age spectrum, excluding babes in arms and little toddlers. Just a matter of opinion there though. :)

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
That's are pretty strong requirements for a family ride. That would exclude just about anything at the parks. I'd be more inclined to say that a family ride is one that includes the vast majority of family members across the age spectrum, excluding babes in arms and little toddlers. Just a matter of opinion there though. :)

At a Disney park where there isn't a lot of these kinds of rides, maybe this could fly as a family attraction. As it is, this is more of the same for UOR. I'm not talking about the screens, I'm talking about differentiation in experience. This is right next door to Minion Mayhem and Shrek. Three similar experiences in a line.

Reactions: brianlo and ChrisFL
There’s a bit of a straw man being perpetuated by some of the comments in this thread that those of us who might be underwhelmed by the sound of this attraction are underwhelmed “because it isn’t an E-ticket,” or some major, groundbreaking attraction. I don’t think that’s the source of disappointment for most of those who are, and it certainly isn’t the source for me. Speaking only for myself, I have no issue with the supposed scope or scale of this attraction, but I do have an issue with another simulator coming to USF, and coming to the already 3D-heavy front of the park, at that.

C and D-ticket level attractions are necessary to round out the park’s experiences, but this kind of C or D-ticket level attraction does not - at this early stage - appear to be bringing anything new to the table, except (perhaps) an appeal to a slightly different demographic.

And Despicable Me Minion Mayhem is a popular family attraction. If they can equal the humor of DM it will be a success. A family ride doesn't have to be serene.

But the park already has Minion Mayhem. It doesn't need another one, much less right next door to it!

At a Disney park where there isn't a lot of these kinds of rides, maybe this could fly as a family attraction. As it is, this is more of the same for UOR. I'm not talking about the screens, I'm talking about differentiation in experience. This is right next door to Minion Mayhem and Shrek. Three similar experiences in a line.

This. And, frankly, I think that's the reason some people keep bringing up SCREENZ!! It's not that they don't like screen-based/simulators, it's that they think the park has a lot of them, and with even more coming. Any theme park needs a balance of different types of experiences, and the way USF is currently shaping up over the next two years, it's going to become even more dominated by simulator experiences at the expense of more physical(ish) attractions. For people who don't like 3D, or who get motion sick, the front half of the Studios is growing less and less appealing.

All of the existing simulators/dark-ride-screen-hybrids are a lot of fun, but it is possible to have too much of a good thing.

This. And, frankly, I think that's the reason some people keep bringing up SCREENZ!! It's not that they don't like screen-based/simulators, it's that they think the park has a lot of them, and with even more coming. Any theme park needs a balance of different types of experiences, and the way USF is currently shaping up over the next two years, it's going to become even more dominated by simulator experiences at the expense of more physical(ish) attractions. For people who don't like 3D, or who get motion sick, the front half of the Studios is growing less and less appealing.

Sure. I don't agree in calling things like Gringotts, Transformers, or possibly even F&F "simulators" though. Fallon, Minion Mayhem, and Shrek back-to-back-to-back is a problem.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I was actually going to say the same thing....no one where the title would i get the sense this is a "fly-over" NYC tour....it definitely has to be street level....in my opinion at least
From the blog post:

"You’ll rocket through the streets—and skies—of New York City, from the deepest subway tunnels to the tallest skyscrapers,..."

Sure. I don't agree in calling things like Gringotts, Transformers, or possibly even F&F "simulators" though. Fallon, Minion Mayhem, and Shrek back-to-back-to-back is a problem.

That's a fair opinion. I tend to find Gringotts and Transformers just slightly more on the simulator end of the spectrum than, say, Spidey or Forbidden Journey, but you're certainly right that they're not in the same class as Fallon, Minion Mayhem, and Shrek. Those are very much in a more classical "sit on a relatively stationary seat and watch a screen" simulator vein.

My issue with this ride is that it just adds to the general person going who thinks they are sitting and watching movies all day. They are taking away 3 attractions that were not screen based simulator rides in an already screen based simulator ride park to add 2 screen based simulator rides.

I am sorry, Uni is a one trick pony and if they continue to take down rides that have physical sets to add in rides like this, it is going to hurt them down the road. DM is a great attraction, but do we need a second one like it? No. I don't care that it is replacing a non-popular ride and that it is "something" and Disney is doing "nothing". What I care about is the overall feel of the park. People already complain about this and so they add 2 more rides? I just don't think it is a smart long term plan.

When transformers came in, people were amazed it could be done so fast and how it was great that it was replacing a building that nothing was in. But the #1 complaint I hear is that it is just Spiderman 2. No one cares about how fast it went in now or that it replaced nothing. They just care about the fact that it feels like the same ride as Spiderman. That is how I feel Fallon will be, no one will care that it replaced Twister, but the general population will feel like it is similar to many rides already at Studios.

They just care about the fact that it feels like the same ride as Spiderman.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, but the "normal" guest rates Transformers higher than Spider-Man, more often than not. Theme park competent people may complain that it's too similar to Spider-Man, but the normal guest doesn't care. It's just another awesome dark ride.

Absolutely. in the same way I'd absolutely love an Avengers themed Kuka arm attraction despite Harry Potter being in the same park :)

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, but the "normal" guest rates Transformers higher than Spider-Man, more often than not. Theme park competent people may complain that it's too similar to Spider-Man, but the normal guest doesn't care. It's just another awesome dark ride.
That's also possibly because they may only experience TF. Even if they do both parks and take HE over, Spidey is all the way at the front and may not be experienced in the end.

The people I have talked to are normal guests. When I mentioned that my daughter finally got to ride transformers and loved it to my BIL, his response was, "You mean Spiderman 2". I think transformers is better than Spiderman, I feel more in it than Spiderman, but it doesn't mean I don't still think they are the same thing. I am not sure how liking one over the other means that the guest doesn't feel they are very similar rides.

Yeah, one of the most common complaints I hear about Universal from even the general public is "too much 3D" or "too many simulators". So ripping out two physical rides for two more 3D simulators at a time? Doesn't seem like the best idea. Hopefully Nintendo truly pulls through.

Man, it's times like these when I still really wish F&F was an actual set-based Test Track ride. Because, you know, it makes perfect sense for that series, would fit into its plot fine, would be a great variety from the rest of the parks, and diversify Uni's lineup more, but nope! Another simulator it is. And I hardly even hate screens. :(

Oh well, at least IOA is still rounded out for now.

Reactions: martymcflyy85