Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon

That's also possibly because they may only experience TF. Even if they do both parks and take HE over, Spidey is all the way at the front and may not be experienced in the end.

This continues to baffle me. Universal developed this amazing, one-of-a-kind, industry-disrupting ride technology, and they're only allowed to use it once? What about Dumbo and Astro Orbiter? Pirates and Small World? Haunted Mansion and Under the Sea? And those are all in the same park.

The people I have talked to are normal guests. When I mentioned that my daughter finally got to ride transformers and loved it to my BIL, his response was, "You mean Spiderman 2". I think transformers is better than Spiderman, I feel more in it than Spiderman, but it doesn't mean I don't still think they are the same thing. I am not sure how liking one over the other means that the guest doesn't feel they are very similar rides.
You mean like Small World and Rio de Tempo? Or Star Tours and Body Wars? Or Seas with Nemo and Little Mermaid. Or Spaceship Earth and World of Motion and Horizons?

This continues to baffle me. Universal developed this amazing, one-of-a-kind, industry-disrupting ride technology, and they're only allowed to use it once? What about Dumbo and Astro Orbiter? Pirates and Small World? Haunted Mansion and Under the Sea? And those are all in the same park.
Yes, but how many times have they used the "falling" effect in rides? I can think of at least 5. 3 on what is basically the spider-man ride system and 2 on a more old-school simulator (Simpsons and Minion Mayhem).

I just hope as part of this project they will repaint the NYC Library backdrop, it is awful when it shouldn't be, and will they take down the Rockefeller building and replace with something else?
I agree, but what I would really like to see is them build out the Library facade in three dimensions and then spruce up the NYC skyline behind it. I think both USJ and USS have this and it's time for USF to do the same.

Yes, but how many times have they used the "falling" effect in rides? I can think of at least 5. 3 on what is basically the spider-man ride system and 2 on a more old-school simulator (Simpsons and Minion Mayhem).

They're simulators though; by their very nature, their purpose is to simulate motion greater than their own capabilities. Falling is a fundamental motion. However, I'll agree that falling as the ride's climax might be overdone, between Spidey, Transformers, and even Simpsons.

The spinner is really the only comparison. And Disney has them in multiple places because for some odd reason kids love them. That is why one got added to Studios. I think my daughter likes going up high and "controlling" it.

I don't care if the same tech is used, what I care about is how a ride feels. Transformers and Spiderman use the same storyline flow including water being used at the same points, fall, character at the end, etc. The only thing similar between Pirates and Small world is boats, that is it. Same with Haunted Mansion and Under the Sea, the method of transportation is the same and that is it.

Also, the over use of 3D glasses is a true issue. Especially when mixed with motion because people get motion sickness and therefore have to avoid a large portion of the ride. Who has to avoid any of the rides you mentioned above? No one gets sick on those rides.

Transformers and Spiderman use the same storyline flow including water being used at the same points, fall, character at the end, etc.

Other than the fall, I disagree. It's no more similar than Mansion/Mermaid are.

The only thing similar between Pirates and Small world is boats, that is it. Same with Haunted Mansion and Under the Sea, the method of transportation is the same and that is it.

I would GREATLY disagree with this. Pirates and Small World are both boat rides that glide slowly by musical animatronic scenes. Mansion and Mermaid are both omnimovers that slowly glide past musical animatronic screens. If Transformers and Spider-Man feel too similar, all of these should as well.

If Transformers and Spider-Man feel too similar, all of these should as well.
You can't tell a person what they should and should not feel. I feel exactly the same. Transformers and Spider-Man follow a very similar plot line, but HM and Mermaid and IASW and Pirates each have a distinct feel to their rides. Nothing about the rides other than the RV reminds me of the other.

Basically, when i'm on TF, I think of Spidey almost every time when we go past the scene where the fire SHOULD be. I literally never think of HM while on Mermaid or think of ISAW while on Pirates (or vice-versa).

If it's different for you, then great, that's you. Not everyone is you though. Sometimes you should try to remember that.

You can't tell a person what they should and should not feel. I feel exactly the same. Transformers and Spider-Man follow a very similar plot line, but HM and Mermaid and IASW and Pirates each have a distinct feel to their rides. Nothing about the rides other than the RV reminds me of the other.

Basically, when i'm on TF, I think of Spidey almost every time when we go past the scene where the fire SHOULD be. I literally never think of HM while on Mermaid or think of ISAW while on Pirates (or vice-versa).

If it's different for you, then great, that's you. Not everyone is you though. Sometimes you should try to remember that.
:bored:

I'm also surprised this is the first move towards synergy Comcast has really exercised in the parks. By this point, I would've figured we'd have guests pining for four-chair turnarounds on The Voice...starring YOU!, SyFy Presents Face Off Horror Make-Up Show, and a Chicago Fire/Chicago P.D./Chicago Med Deep Dish Pizzeria.

No, I just laugh at people who don't realize that "in my opinion" is implied in every post.
But I quoted a specific part where you seemed to suggest that every ride with the same RVs should feel the same. That didn't seem like an opinion, it seemed like something you were trying to tell Izzy that she should feel.

I agree. The storyline is what feels the same. To a general park goer, the ride system is not something they think of. It is how they feel when on the ride. I don't ever think of Pirates on Small World. The storyline is not at all similar. It uses the same types of systems, but because the storyline is not even close, people don't notice it. But Transformers and Spiderman storyline are very similar. Bad guys and Good Guys. The good guy has you do something, you get wet, bad guys come, try to do something, good guys win, you fall, good guy saves the day, good guy comes on and tells you how great you are. Some formula. You can't give that same formula for any of the rides mentioned at Disney. Spinners are about it. Get on, go in circle, move car up and down, cars all go to the top, the end. But kids love them, they don't take a large foot print, and parents don't mind them. So they get placed everywhere.

Edited to remove my brain fart statement.... the rest is still valid.

Last edited:
Uhhhh...IoA has had one since Day 1.

Never mind. I am an idiot. I was thinking they had the carousal and Studios had the spinner and totally forgot about 1 fish, 2 fish :) Well then Studios needs a carousal :) Another small footprint, kids love, parents don't mind ride that most parks have. Surprised Disney hasn't tried to put more of those elsewhere. I will admit spinners seem to be more popular these days with kids though.

You mean like Small World and Rio de Tempo? Or Star Tours and Body Wars? Or Seas with Nemo and Little Mermaid. Or Spaceship Earth and World of Motion and Horizons?

You leave Spaceship Earth, World of Motion, and Horizons out of this!
Not to nitpick but Star Tours and Body Wars were a little different from each other, one you were simulating going to another planet and the other you simulated being able to see what is inside a human body but at the end you got to see it for real.