Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think we're about to enter the second, duller phase of Universal's golden era. Comcast are happy to splash the cash, but they've developed a formula, and they're clinging to it. So investment in the parks will continue to impress, but there's much less imagination and ambition on display than in the case of Potter, Kong (we presume), or even Springfield. Nintendo might buck this trend, as I feel Universal truly excel when they're responsible for an outsider IP.

Nonetheless, I think it will be well executed fun, and we're in crazy times when this is a mere filler attraction.

Reactions: RonaldsModernLife
Every time I ride Rio de Tempo I think of small world and every time I rode Body Wars I thought of Star Tours and every time I rode WoM I thought of SSE.

Oh, and Nemo and Mermaid, same thing.

I will give you Nemo and Mermaid remind me of each other. Small world and Rio only the one part, the rest to me is completely different since it uses a lot of screens. The other ones I can't say. I am too young to remember Body Wars or WoM.

Edit again for my brain fart/

Last edited:
I will give you Nemo and Mermaid remind me of each other. The other ones I can't say. I never have been on Rio (which I don't think you can really compare rides not in the same city), I am too young to remember Body Wars or WoM.
Rio de Tempo is in the Mexico Pavilion in Epcot.

Every time I ride Rio de Tempo I think of small world and every time I rode Body Wars I thought of Star Tours and every time I rode WoM I thought of SSE.

Oh, and Nemo and Mermaid, same thing.
The only one I can really agree on is Rio de Tempo and to a small degree Nemo and Mermaid, but Nemo exits into an entire aquarium so I rarely think of it.

Body Wars/Star Tours were definitely shared a lot of similarities, but Body Wars is closed now so it's sort of a moot point.

Last edited:
The only one I can really agree on is Rio de Tempo and to a small degree Nemo and Mermaid, but Nemo exits into an entire aquarium so I rarely think of it.

Body Wars/Star Tours were definitely shared a lot of similarities, but Body Wars is closed now so it's sort of a mute point.
Star Tours and Body Wars existed for over a decade about a mile apart.

Yes, but how many times have they used the "falling" effect in rides? I can think of at least 5. 3 on what is basically the spider-man ride system and 2 on a more old-school simulator (Simpsons and Minion Mayhem).

As always you are so true in your wisdom. I have the same with rollercoasters, always going up and down! Where is the imagination? Sure some go down first but then it's up again. Get it over with, it's all the same, have you done one you have done them all.
#sarcasm

Last edited:
As always you are so true in your wisdom. I have the same with rollercoasters, always going up and down! Where is the imagination? Sure some go down first but then it's up again. Get it over with, it's all the same, have you done one you have done them all.
lol, I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not :lol:

Rio de Tempo is in the Mexico Pavilion in Epcot.

lol

Can I just say I am having a blonde day and move on from there? Or maybe vacation brain since I have been off work for 4 days? We always call it the Mexican ride in my defense :)

So, what are you guys saying? They could make USF better simply by bulldozing Transformers into the ground?

Me personally? No. But they shouldn't keep building 3D based simulators. They need to come up with SOMETHING different. And I am not saying I like what Disney is always doing or ever doing really, but that doesn't mean that Uni should sit on their hands and build the same thing over and over again.

I don't watch any late-night TV, or quite frankly, understand the appeal. That being said, I'm decently optimistic about this new ride. UC has had an astounding track record thus far, and they've been really good at making attractions better the second time around (Springfield, hopefully FF).

What I think is most exciting (and what I think most people forget) about Fallon, and in many ways FF, are the surrounding lands. Universal has been building very siloed lands (HP, Springfield) or just creating a hodgepodge of attractions (front of USF). Fallon and FF will hopefully result in some great changes to the surrounding cities and turn them into cohesive lands.

Say what you want about Disney, but they can really nail themed lands. Each land of Magic Kingdom has a large variety of differing attractions under one vague, incredibly detailed land. Universal has nailed creating very specific lands (again, Potter + Springfield). I'm hoping they can go the other way now. I view NY + SF in the same way that I view Adventureland and Frontierland. I think those lands create places for people to stop and appreciate the spaces in between attractions. I don't think NYC + SF are at that level yet.

Reactions: Derek R
No one is saying that two similar concept rides can't exist within the same resort. What i'm saying at least is that 6 simulators in one park (once Fallon and F&F open), the current ones all sharing fairly similar qualities already, is a bit much.

I would wait a good while before claiming that.

Perhaps you're right. I really love Gringotts. But I think in terms of boundary pushing, it was the logical conclusion of what Universal do best, a format they've been nailing since the opening of IOA. Just as Disney built omnimovers for decades, Universal are now in a little of a groove in regards to screen simulation. I don't think these rides are bad in any way, I just think they lack the leap in technology that Spiderman or Forbidden Journey, or even MiB represented. I think Mario Kart will buck this trend, however.

You can't give that same formula for any of the rides mentioned at Disney.

Challenge accepted.

Guests meander a landscaped courtyard filled with scattered markings of residents' empty resting places. They then enter a subterranean passageway where a throaty voice of unknown origin welcomes them. Guests board a slow-moving vehicle which proceeds through several scenes where the previously mentioned creatures are aware yet aloof toward guests' presence. Despite a warning, the vehicles proceed to rotate around in a scene where menacing assailants float through the air. Further down the way, creatures are at play juxtaposed against a foreboding setting. The vehicles enter a musky, tight space where guests see warning signs, yet proceed onward only to pass the very one who the warnings were about. The vehicles plunge into unkempt foliage and see the very same creatures as before singing in gleeful song. Before departure, the tiniest of these beckons guests to return.

Splash Mountain and Haunted Mansion are the same ride.

Last edited:
Reactions: UNIrd
As a concept, I think a lot of the pieces seem to fall together pretty easily here. I imagine you'll walk into the room, it will be a close replica of where The Tonight Show is filmed and you're an audience member for the night. You get in your seat and they'll be some hologram of Jimmy doing his bit behind the table and the seats will lift to the sky and the ride will begin. For the first time in ages, New York will actually have a New York themed ride. I think this has a lot of potential.

Given how close Jimmy Fallen and Universal have been recently, doing shows from the parks, taking celebrities on Rockit, etc. Could it be possible for an intro to be updated weekly? If it was something like a hologram, how difficult would it be to change it if they have a template in place?

If Universal are updating the New York area as well and using NBC IPs, I think they'd be crazy to not include Central Perk some where. It's a simply idea using a small space but who wouldn't want to have a coffee there and get their picture taken on the couch? The merchandise sales could be great from it.

As a concept, I think a lot of the pieces seem to fall together pretty easily here. I imagine you'll walk into the room, it will be a close replica of where The Tonight Show is filmed and you're an audience member for the night. You get in your seat and they'll be some hologram of Jimmy doing his bit behind the table and the seats will lift to the sky and the ride will begin. For the first time in ages, New York will actually have a New York themed ride. I think this has a lot of potential.

Given how close Jimmy Fallen and Universal have been recently, doing shows from the parks, taking celebrities on Rockit, etc. Could it be possible for an intro to be updated weekly? If it was something like a hologram, how difficult would it be to change it if they have a template in place?

If Universal are updating the New York area as well and using NBC IPs, I think they'd be crazy to not include Central Perk some where. It's a simply idea using a small space but who wouldn't want to have a coffee there and get their picture taken on the couch? The merchandise sales could be great from it.
Not with the parks only Starbucks in the NYC.

Like Spider Man and Transformers?;)

Really, I kind of like this idea. Its a pretty original take on the Soaring idea, right? Pretty cool.

I'm just really disappointed and let down by F&F.

Perhaps you're right. I really love Gringotts. But I think in terms of boundary pushing, it was the logical conclusion of what Universal do best, a format they've been nailing since the opening of IOA. Just as Disney built omnimovers for decades, Universal are now in a little of a groove in regards to screen simulation. I don't think these rides are bad in any way, I just think they lack the leap in technology that Spiderman or Forbidden Journey, or even MiB represented. I think Mario Kart will buck this trend, however.
If Kong is as killer as its being hinted at, this could seriously change things on an attraction lineup front for Uni. I hope there's some Seuss love at some point.