Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon

Universal is so gracious, giving fans 4 days notice to experience Twister before it's gone for good. Oh well. Glad it's finally officially announced!

Universal is so gracious, giving fans 4 days notice to experience Twister before it's gone for good. Oh well. Glad it's finally officially announced!
Between this announcement and the F&F one, it seems as if they aren't trying to make too big of a deal about it yet (granted this was announced on TV) and they don't want people to even remember Twister and Disaster ever existed.

Is this sort of what the facade will look like, you think?
gK3k3Jc.png

So now that this has officially been announced I figured I would share what little I know. The ride system is being constructed by a company named Peterson Inc. The system as described to me was said to be "Three sets of 50 Seats. On Articulated Arms". So a show capacity of 150 seats. I don't know how long the "show" will be or anything like that. But lets assume a show time of 4 minutes with 3 minutes to load/unload that gives a capacity of approx 1,200 riders an hour. Those I know on the project are not Theme Park enthusiasts like us. But they simply said the system is "Bad Ass". Take that as you will.

I only know of one other Amusement/Theme Park project Peterson Inc has been involved with. And that was the Cannibal Roller Coaster that Opened at Lagoon in Utah this past summer. Those I know were on that project as well although I'm not exactly sure what they did as Lagoon designed the coaster all in house using mostly local manufactures:

Cannibal_54_990x660.jpg

Not that I'm saying that it will (he seems a decent enough guy), but it's quite risky making an attraction about a current working celebrity. What if Fallon says or does something in the next few years that makes him a hated celebrity figure like Chris Brown, Shia LaBeouf etc. Social media can pretty much EXECUTE someone these days.
Could require quite a quick overlay if that were to happen...

Not that I'm saying that it will (he seems a decent enough guy), but it's quite risky making an attraction about a current working celebrity. What if Fallon says or does something in the next few years that makes him a hated celebrity figure like Chris Brown, Shia LaBeouf etc. Social media can pretty much EXECUTE someone these days.
Could require quite a quick overlay if that were to happen...
I get what you're saying, but Fallon is pretty much a walking yes-man surrounded by personal yes-men. As long as they are paying him, he'll do/promote whatever Comcast wants and make it look amazing and he generally stays out of the headlines outside of his duties as host of The Tonight Show.

He's about as clean as they come.

Last edited:
I'm extremely disappointed. Twister was a great little show. This seems like it will be a transformers part two. Who are the people that are coming up with these ideas?

So two of the only attractions that used practical effects are going to be demolished and 3D rides will take its place. Seriously, wtf is going on.

Last edited:
BTW, the response to the announcement which Universal Orlando tweeted out is mostly negative. I don't understand.

This is the 4th ride currently under construction at Universal Orlando. Some perspective please, it's replacing a poor attraction and is one of many ongoing projects in an ever expanding resort. Exciting times! Alternatively, they could have done nothing ala Disney for the past 15 years.

And the ride system may make this attraction worthwhile regardless of the IP.

As I live in the UK this is one attraction I am not excited about. Untill I viewed the forums etc and viewed Jimmy Fallon on You Tube I had no idea who he was. For me I will probably try once but does not seem like a repeat attraction.

As I live in the UK this is one attraction I am not excited about. Untill I viewed the forums etc and viewed Jimmy Fallon on You Tube I had no idea who he was. For me I will probably try once but does not seem like a repeat attraction.

I know who he is, pretty much only me and my wife at both screenings of Jurassic World seemed to laugh at his cameo.

Like you, unless the ride system is outstanding, or it is incredibly funny, it will probably be a one time per trip, maybe ever.

Willing to give it a try though. We'll be in Orlando end of Sept'17 so fingers crossed it's open

The ride system is being constructed by a company named Peterson Inc.

Opened at Lagoon in Utah this past summer.

Yet another vendor (actually spelled Petersen)... BUT, the mention of Ogden, Utah is, um, timely... They are not the only other 727 vendor in that town but I won't go into that right now.

Petersen sure builds the the custom mega steel things that help make the world function: Petersen Inc. "A Winning Combination!" • Manufacturing • Utah

Don't know what to think here other than......*yawn*. The ride system might be worth a try......and I have to say that I am no less excited for this than I am for F&F. I guess both of these rides are "fillers" between the completion of Diagon Alley and the construction of Nintendoland. I'm worried that USO is losing its nice atmosphere and theming.......and dropping random rides everywhere. The park is looking more and more like a World's Fair.

It's a tough loss losing Twister, one of the few experiences left using practical effects in the park. But what I do enjoy is how out-of-the-box this concept is. It sounds like an attraction that would be in a park opening day, but not an addition down the line as it doesn't sound like it will be a huge draw on its own. Also, opening two new attractions in the same park in the same year is pretty unheard of too. It just shows how ambitious Universal really is about it's parks.

[QUOTE="mainejeff] I'm worried that USO is losing its nice atmosphere and theming.......and dropping random rides everywhere. The park is looking more and more like a World's Fair.[/QUOTE]

Wait, what? Twister is currently in New York, where there are no Twisters. Fallon tapes in New York. This makes perfect sense theming wise

Fallon was fumbling over his words but he specifically mentioned Potter, and presumably Forbidden Journey. Now we have Peterson involved seemingly, and looking at their website, this is my guess (all speculation of course):

Facade will be 30 Rock, and the rest of the street will have a full, Manhattan makeover. "Aftermath" obviously is an NBC store. You enter into Rockefeller underneath the marquee, and the former outdoor queue will now be enclosed as you wind thru a faux tour of the building. Flat screens above feature Fallon talking about the building, setting up that you're going to see a taping of the show. This winds you to where Twister has the first double doors. Except this time, a TM is lining guests up into three rows of fifty while we grab some 3D glasses. The double doors declare this the entrance to Studio 6B. This is the pre-show, and Fallon is excited to start the show, but says that they're trying something new and experimental today. The doors open, and this time its a set of three ramps that take us into the studio, and the audience is three tiers, right in front of us is a recreation of Fallon's NYC studio.

Suddenly we notice that the seats are remarkably similar to FJ, and that this HUGE bench is all on one giant kuka arm behind us, but that hasn't been fully revealed. The TMs tell us to lower our OSTRs and put on our glasses (whatever they theme them to be probably a silly joke), and the show begins with the Roots coming out, and Fallon starting his show. He cracks a couple jokes, and then for repeat factor, a different celebrity each time will pop out to challenge Fallon to a race around NYC. Fallon asks if the audience can join them, and the celeb says yes (and doesn't appear in the ride film).

Suddenly, the arms start shifting and the studio magically drops and the IMAX screen becomes the focus as we fly above 30 Rock and then plunge into the streets. Cue ride film. The kukas will have the ability to give more flight and movement sensation, and Jimmy makes cameo apperances. We crash back into Jimmy's studio which magically reappears. There's a quick joke by Jimmy and he wishes us goodbye, the OSTRs lift while the Roots, still in musion, play out as we leave into the NBC store.

One problem is that the capacity will probably be pretty harsh since there's only room for one theater (thanks Rockit), I'd say closer to 1000 or less since I think the experience will probably be five minutes long at least. If they can manage to recreate the Rockefellar skating rink (leave that miracle up to UC) for the holidays, the entire thing could be really worth it.