Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I stopped by USF this morning to say farewell to Twister. Can't say I will miss it much though, pretty poor and outdated attraction. This doesn't have to be an epic E-ticket for it to be a success for Universal.

You and your family and your opinion is that you don't want 3D Sim stuff.

Me? And my family? And my friends? Bring it on.

Opinions are like mix tapes....
Agreed. Which is why we have so many debates on here. Some people want X and others want Y. Heck, some topics two people are on the same side and in another topic those same people are on opposite ends. In the end it comes down to which is the popular opinion, time will tell and I don't think any of us can say down the line how popular or unpopular this ride will be. We are all speculating.

This is the only thing I'm going to say on this matter since there is a thread for it. But if you don't like the attractions with screens then you should just stop bothering with Universal. This is how it's going to be going forward, it's easier and most cost effective to make these attractions and they have been nothing but hits for Universal so far.

Don't kid yourself, that is Universal's only end game as well. They're doing it through a different strategy, but that's all they care about.

Yeah I mean at the end of the day, they both are businesses....so obviously the end result is profit so they can stay afloat. But I agree with you in terms of strategy. Universal has taken the aggressive, expand, expand approach which is ultimately benefiting the park-goers because they have more attractions, resorts and options and great for Comcast because they are expanding their economic avenues. Plus they are truly creating immersive environments. I can't speak much for Disney, because I don't follow Disney as much as I follow Universal. But I mean I just think even in the instance of the Magic Band. They spent a significant, significant amount of money on something that, quite frankly, isn't necessary. I am still going to carry around my wallet or credit cards wherever I go. But their logical was, oh hey, lets spend a ton of money so we can get a ton of money back.

I just think they each have different priorities, which again is fine since they are two different companies. The comparing Disney to Universal game is a bit redundant and has been exhausted enough.

I don't care either way as long the ride itself takes me through an amazing adventure. 3D actually can achieve this better and EASIER... is it an easy way out for a company?... perhaps. I do believe that this can also be done with AAs, and I am not talking about the typical Disney's "Slowly ride by a scene on a looped audio/motion". My only problem with AAs is maintainance and all the "write it off and keep ride open" standards. Both companies are guilty of this. When it comes to Universal, I wish I could help that Ultrasaur to finally chew those weeds, actually most of JP River looks stiff and fake, among many others. Disney, 1st thing that comes to mind Carousel of Progress. Sometimes is a stiff hand other days jaws are not moving, and I am using COP because statues (Disco Yeti) don't count anymore as AA's.... my point is, it's always something with AAs and when you compare that vs 3D, for better or worse 3D has a better show quality and more reliable. So if the company is willing to keep every AA operating at a minimum of 95% movement, then bring it on. Anything under 95% ... go 3D please!!!

Universal's forte is projection technology. Disney's is robotics. Disney uses projection tech, and Universal uses robotics. But their strengths are what set them apart. Universal beceame a thing when they STOPPED copying Disney. I don't see them reversing course. If you are looking for Disney style attractions, there are a plethora of them 12 miles southwest of UOR.

Universal's forte is projection technology. Disney's is robotics. Disney uses projection tech, and Universal uses robotics. But their strengths are what set them apart. Universal beceame a thing when they STOPPED copying Disney. I don't see them reversing course. If you are looking for Disney style attractions, there are a plethora of them 12 miles southwest of UOR.
No, I'm hoping for something awesome and not repetitive. All I'm asking is for variety.

There seems to be more protectionism than an actual defense of screens, especially telling people to go 12 miles of UOR if you don't like it. Sheesh, I can love UNI and still criticize aspects that bother me. I can't help but think that if we had the Sesame Street and Madagascar attractions here, people who are dissing slow moving waxy rides wouldn't have a problem with it, and the complaining about screens would steadily decrease. The fact the debate is so hot shows the issue is not anecdotal.

Simulators are lazy, IMO, and I always felt parks fell on them for lack of space, that's why the f&f attraction baffles me.

Whylightbulb told me that all future UNI attractions will feature screens, but not all will be screen based. I'm fine with that.

No, I'm hoping for something awesome and not repetitive. All I'm asking is for variety.

There seems to be more protectionism than an actual defense of screens, especially telling people to go 12 miles of UOR if you don't like it. Sheesh, I can love UNI and still criticize aspects that bother me. I can't help but think that if we had the Sesame Street and Madagascar attractions here, people who are dissing slow moving waxy rides wouldn't have a problem with it, and the complaining about screens would steadily decrease. The fact the debate is so hot shows the issue is not anecdotal.

Simulators are lazy, IMO, and I always felt parks fell on them for lack of space, that's why the f&f attraction baffles me.

Whylightbulb told me that all future UNI attractions will feature screens, but not all will be screen based. I'm fine with that.
No, what I was saying is if you are looking for Disney style attractions (i.e.: AA centric), Disney is where you should go to get them. Whining about the fact that Universal is doing what Universal does best seems pointless to me. And calling Universal lazy is laughable.

No, what I was saying is if you are looking for Disney style attractions (i.e.: AA centric), Disney is where you should go to get them. Whining about the fact that Universal is doing what Universal does best seems pointless to me. And calling Universal lazy is laughable.
I didn't call them lazy, I said simulators are lazy.

I don't think anyone is asking for Disney attractions, but the variety they offer.

Universal is capable of many great things, saying that screens and simulators are what they do, and looking at the attractions they've created around the world, I wouldn't say screens are the defining factor what they do or are capable of. I would actually be worried if they decided to say they're only making one type of attraction, and then blindly defending that decision.

And seeing how people went crazy at the UNI section of magic when I threw out the idea of a Transformers like attraction next to Spiderman for the avengers got a friggin uni fanboy mob for even suggesting two similar attractions utilizing the same exact tech, so close to each other was stupid, it's surprising the tide has changed that some are happy with the same rides and ride tech being copied and used in the same park now, because that's wehat UNI does.

Universal does a bunch of Market research. You don't invest in a big attraction like this unless the guests tell you its the kind of attraction they want. So it's being built.

During the next 5 years Disney will upgrade a popular Soarin' attraction, add an extra Toy Story Track, update the Star Tours film, add Soarin' over Pandora simulator, and a Millenium Falcon simulator.

These attractions are popular and its what the guests visiting these theme parks want. So both companies are adding a ton of them!

Reactions: Hockeyman55