Ready Player One: The Ride? | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Ready Player One: The Ride?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Actually Amblin owns the theme park rights....not WB. Remember anything Spielberg produces, he retains 51% of the rights to which is part of the reason why we got Transformers and MIB.

RP1 wouldn't be a ride...it makes way more sense to make the Oasis an interactive cosplay resort akin to what Disney is doing with Star Wars where you stay at the resort and do quests etc which are in the form of extremely elaborate escape rooms and challenges.
I'm betting for every single attraction even when it's a property they own they draw up a contract to detail the rights and details for the specific attraction. There's a lot of elements that have to be worked out and different people expect to be compensated for the use of the IP in the park. After all you never know when your competition will end up buying the entity that owns the IP in your park.

OK I'll give a bit.

It's on the radar.

Doesn't mean anything, but there ya go.

Whether I want it or not is irrelevant, but I don't understand how you see the opening race and think "This won't make for a good theme park ride".....

Yea but three racing attractions make no sense...(Mario Kart, Fast and Furious, and now Ready Player Racers)

Well technicality some cameos could be removed however Warner Bros characters could appear in the Orlando version since Six Flags in California has the rights to DC & Looney Tunes.

I don't think so. In fact, here's an excerpt from Part 9-10 of the Six Flags-SEC agreement:

"We have the exclusive right on a long-term basis to theme park usage of the Warner Bros. and DC Comics animated characters throughout the United States (except for the Las Vegas metropolitan area), Canada, Mexico and certain other countries. In particular, our license agreements entitle us to use, subject to customary approval rights of Warner Bros. and, in limited circumstances, approval rights of certain third parties, all animated, cartoon and comic book characters that Warner Bros. and DC Comics have the right to license, including Batman, Superman, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Tweety Bird and Yosemite Sam, and include the right to sell merchandise using the characters. In addition, certain Hanna-Barbera characters including Yogi Bear, Scooby-Doo and The Flintstones are available for our use at certain of our theme parks. In addition to annual license fees, we are required to pay a royalty fee on merchandise manufactured by or for us and sold that uses the licensed characters. Warner Bros. and Hanna-Barbera have the right to terminate their license agreements under certain circumstances, including if any persons involved in the movie or television industries obtain control of us or, in the case of Warner Bros., upon a default under the Subordinated Indemnity Agreement."

I don't think so. In fact, here's an excerpt from Part 9-10 of the Six Flags-SEC agreement:

"We have the exclusive right on a long-term basis to theme park usage of the Warner Bros. and DC Comics animated characters throughout the United States (except for the Las Vegas metropolitan area), Canada, Mexico and certain other countries. In particular, our license agreements entitle us to use, subject to customary approval rights of Warner Bros. and, in limited circumstances, approval rights of certain third parties, all animated, cartoon and comic book characters that Warner Bros. and DC Comics have the right to license, including Batman, Superman, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Tweety Bird and Yosemite Sam, and include the right to sell merchandise using the characters. In addition, certain Hanna-Barbera characters including Yogi Bear, Scooby-Doo and The Flintstones are available for our use at certain of our theme parks. In addition to annual license fees, we are required to pay a royalty fee on merchandise manufactured by or for us and sold that uses the licensed characters. Warner Bros. and Hanna-Barbera have the right to terminate their license agreements under certain circumstances, including if any persons involved in the movie or television industries obtain control of us or, in the case of Warner Bros., upon a default under the Subordinated Indemnity Agreement."

Animated is key term. Hints why Universal can use Potter, and use WB IPs for HHN

Just got back from seeing the movie. SO GOOD. I would love to see some kind of incarnation of it at the parks. Hopefully the box-office stays up there so it can be possible.

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, but I think the real obstacle for a theme park ride (aside from the IP considerations) is that I just don't know how you turn the concept into a ride in a unique way. It's basically crying out to be a simulator, and Universal Studios Florida has enough of those.

They could perhaps make it work in the next gate, but I don't think it's a fit for USF right now.

Actually Amblin owns the theme park rights....not WB. Remember anything Spielberg produces, he retains 51% of the rights to which is part of the reason why we got Transformers and MIB.

1) Universal is not a majority shareholder of Amblin
2) Universal still had to pay Paramount for Transformers licensing rights, same with MIB and Sony

OK I'll give a bit.

It's on the radar.

Doesn't mean anything, but there ya go.

Whether I want it or not is irrelevant, but I don't understand how you see the opening race and think "This won't make for a good theme park ride".....

I don't think that's what people really want to do, TBH. Like others have said, a possible RPO Void-esque experience is much more likely. And I'm sure they are looking at it in case of a breakout insanity, which I don't think is going to happen. This success is rather mild compared to the likes of Marvel/Star Wars openings.

Saw the movie today and went BONKERS over it. Really good movie! The point I want to make is.....What if they do something to say you are now in the Oasis when you enter the building? IF YOU ARE ALREADY INSIDE THE OASIS.....then you don't need the VR goggles.

1) Universal is not a majority shareholder of Amblin
2) Universal still had to pay Paramount for Transformers licensing rights, same with MIB and Sony

I don't think that's what people really want to do, TBH. Like others have said, a possible RPO Void-esque experience is much more likely. And I'm sure they are looking at it in case of a breakout insanity, which I don't think is going to happen. This success is rather mild compared to the likes of Marvel/Star Wars openings.

It can work as either or. I don’t care, honestly. But to say it “cant” be an attraction is asinine.

That's not the discussion, though. Few people have said they don't see a theme park ride from this franchise. Ignoring logistics (IP rights, BO return, etc).... it's not a far-fetched idea to become a ride.
The thing about this IP is it's going to have a very niche fan base, but again that doesn't mean an attraction can't happen. Tron and Bourne (if T2 is in fact Bourne) are recent examples of this.

I can definitely see how this could be a ride, I just don't see it as being likely (unless it's an IP they use to fill out Park 3's opening line-up).

Reactions: Dhdhddh
My point exactly about it only being expected to have a $40M 3-day opening. If it has the typical 40-45% second weekend drop-off, it's likely to drop to $22-$24M for next weekend's 3-day.

The only thing that may give it some legs is the complete and utter lack of ANY movies that people care about until Avengers.
Nailed it. China is responding well but The Quiet Ones ate its lunch.

Box Office: Steven Spielberg's 'Ready Player One' Nears $400M Worldwide

With Rampage opening next weekend, I think the domestic take will just be "alright."