Ready Player One: The Ride? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Ready Player One: The Ride?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The problem with the RPO is you would need a whole lotta licensing to make it work. It’s really just pandering to nostalgia and you need that to make it remotely work. Again, I just don’t see anything in the book lending itself to a ride. It’s just a kid doing random crap and then a big ending.

You can have a RPO attraction without him, and I like the idea of OASIS and we have to take part in finding something useful This is Spielberg's first major blockbuster movie since 10 years ago and a major stand-alone blockbuster movie since War of the Worlds. I agree with you on the licensing though, that's another major issue, but given how Universal operates by relying on 3rd party IPs nowadays for major attractions (as much I rather prefer Universal using its own) but I wouldn't try and rule it out.

I find it funny that people talk about this attraction and glasses being the dealbreaker when that's a huge part of the actual movie...putting on VR goggles

I just really hope it would fit with AR technology (which was also going to be used for MK) instead of VR while heavily relying on practical sets. There are far too much screen rides at Universal Studios theme parks than you would have for practical effects and that's pretty much overkill.

Reactions: Ashhanbre
I find it funny that people talk about this attraction and glasses being the dealbreaker when that's a huge part of the actual movie...putting on VR goggles
Which is why it doesn’t need to be at the parks. VR is done well at home.

I think that's why they are saying it wouldn't work. The book itself is incredible and there are many possibilities in it that could be used as an attraction, but most of them would have to use the glasses, which is what turns people off.

***EDIT*** Just saw one of the latest trailers and it had King Kong, the T-Rex from Jurassic Park and the Delorean from Back to the Future. I mean, if the ride could actually be "US ALREADY INSIDE THE OASIS" then I could totally see them making scenes of practical effects, no glasses needed.

Last edited:
So I guess with the box office success of RPO, it might open the possibility of the movie being made into a ride in the future due to its retro status.
I mean, it's the biggest movie since Black Panther, but that's not saying much.

Predictions have the movie opening to a 3-day opening weekend of $40M and a 4-day of $52M. A 3-day of only $40M isn't much to write home about. I also think there is too much nostalgia IPs used in the film and if a ride were to be made, I don't think movie studios would lend over their IPs as easily.

Let's wait to see the second weekend drop-off...
My point exactly about it only being expected to have a $40M 3-day opening. If it has the typical 40-45% second weekend drop-off, it's likely to drop to $22-$24M for next weekend's 3-day.

The only thing that may give it some legs is the complete and utter lack of ANY movies that people care about until Avengers.

Reactions: Scott W.
I mean, it's the biggest movie since Black Panther, but that's not saying much.

Predictions have the movie opening to a 3-day opening weekend of $40M and a 4-day of $52M. A 3-day of only $40M isn't much to write home about. I also think there is too much nostalgia IPs used in the film and if a ride were to be made, I don't think movie studios would lend over their IPs as easily.

Roger Rabbit movie has plenty of IPs from Warner Bros., Universal (Woody Woodpecker), and other studios. It still has its own ride at Disneyland without referencing to the properties it licensed to. RPO could have its own original story and only referencing to some properties like Nintendo (which will into Universal theme parks) if possible.

RPO could work as an escape room only IMO. It makes no sense any other way. The premise doesn’t fit a ride.

It maybe could work as a lagoon show for Universal Studios. Love to see all the ip's not as film clips but uniquely used an a somewhat cohesive story.

RPO will be a modest hit at best. With a 55-mil 4-day opening, I'm going to guess it'll probably sputter out around the 200 mil mark. Good business, but not enough where Uni will tap WB and Village Roadshow for the full theme park rights... besides I'm not even sure what an RPO ride would even be, or that people would even want one.

Feels like RPO would be better suited to a VOID-esque VR experience rather than an attraction. People want to explore the OASIS, not hop into a DeLorean and recreate the city race. I think people are just blinded by the nostalgic properties without thinking this through.

RPO will be a modest hit at best. With a 55-mil 4-day opening, I'm going to guess it'll probably sputter out around the 200 mil mark. Good business, but not enough where Uni will tap WB and Village Roadshow for the full theme park rights... besides I'm not even sure what an RPO ride would even be, or that people would even want one.

Feels like RPO would be better suited to a VOID-esque VR experience rather than an attraction. People want to explore the OASIS, not hop into a DeLorean and recreate the city race. I think people are just blinded by the nostalgic properties without thinking this through.
Funny you say that, as I was thinking through the entire movie that this could be The Void’s next big project. Probably not at Disney Springs, though anything can happen, I suppose.

My point exactly about it only being expected to have a $40M 3-day opening. If it has the typical 40-45% second weekend drop-off, it's likely to drop to $22-$24M for next weekend's 3-day.

The only thing that may give it some legs is the complete and utter lack of ANY movies that people care about until Avengers.
A Quiet Place, Rampage, and Blockers disagree....

Blockers probably won't do well at the box office, and Rampage comes out one week before Avengers: Infinity War. However, I think that A Quiet Place will surprise a lot of people.
Rampage moved up a week after Infinity War moved. I'm not feeling a lot of buzz compared to other Dwayne Johnson movies, but I expect it to hit 100 million here in the states.
Blockers has very strong reviews; it should match Game Night at the very least.

Well as someone who hasn't read the book or seen the movie this seems like the most ideal IP for a ride. I've only seen the trailer, but I could certainly imagine flying around in a Ghostbuster Delorean escaping close calls with the T-rex and Kong. It definitely could be a "best of" Universal type thing and incorporate lots of stuff that would appeal to a broad audience. Also possibly a great way for Universal to bring back some of the classics they've removed over the years.

Reactions: Ashhanbre
There's a nice review today of Battle for Eire, at BGW, by Russell Meyer on Theme Park Insider. It uses a new type of VR mask, and utilizes the simulator in Ireland that's been used for 4 attractions in the past. This might be something that would work with Ready Player One, the Ride, if it ever comes to pass. Anyway, it's an interesting read, and a new take on VR.