Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Ready Player One: The Ride?

There's a nice review today of Battle for Eire, at BGW, by Russell Meyer on Theme Park Insider. It uses a new type of VR mask, and utilizes the simulator in Ireland that's been used for 4 attractions in the past. This might be something that would work with Ready Player One, the Ride, if it ever comes to pass. Anyway, it's an interesting read, and a new take on VR.

To also elaborate, Eire also seems to be using more advanced VR tech, more-so than what we see at other regional parks like Six Flags and even Cedar, as Busch Gardens has worked with the HTC Vive technology (which is much beefier in capabilities than Oculus).

The only way I can see RP1 working, is if it's done similarly to Eire, but on a tracked level.

It might be possible that RPO could have a mixed screen and practical sets like Spider-Man ride is, so that they don't have to be over-reliance of being fully on screens like Fallon is. Many people say it's not possible to have a Kong ride with practical effects, but ignores the fact Universal had a full-one practical ride called Kongfrontation. You just need enough imagination and thinking to make it work. Nintendo isn't enough for Universal and Universal needs as much viable IPs capable of fitting in its theme parks in the future. It seems like RPO could be Universal's next shot if the negotiations for LOTR theme park rights goes nowhere.

It might be possible that RPO could have a mixed screen and practical sets like Spider-Man ride is, so that they don't have to be over-reliance of being fully on screens like Fallon is. Many people say it's not possible to have a Kong ride with practical effects, but ignores the fact Universal had a full-one practical ride called Kongfrontation. You just need enough imagination and thinking to make it work. Nintendo isn't enough for Universal and Universal needs as much viable IPs capable of fitting in its theme parks in the future. It seems like RPO could be Universal's next shot if the negotiations for LOTR theme park rights goes nowhere.

1. You are aware that RPO is completely based on VR, right?

2. Please tell me you're joking. If not, they still have DreamWorks, Illumination, Jurassic World, and possibly DC. RPO is not an essential property.

I really think you are undermining what Nintendo brings to the table, by a LONG mile.

Could RP1 be considered? Maybe, but I see no reason to believe that Universal doesn't have a good chance with Lord of The Rings, and even then, Ready Player One even if the first film is a success, does not guarantee a sustainable franchise.

1. You are aware that RPO is completely based on VR, right?

2. Please tell me you're joking. If not, they still have DreamWorks, Illumination, Jurassic World, and possibly DC. RPO is not an essential property.

1. I realize that, but I'm saying it might be possible for RPO to have some kind of ride that doesn't over-rely on screens.

2) Illumination is already covered at USF and USH, so it's not possible to have an Illumination land in the 3rd theme park. DC Comics is owned by Six Flags and won't give it up so it's not possible to have them. All I could think of a possible Jurassic World-themed area and DreamWorks Land at a 3rd theme park in Orlando, but that's about it, and we won't see a 3rd Universal theme park until around the mid-to late 2020s in time of the L.A. Olympics in 2028.

I really think you are undermining what Nintendo brings to the table, by a LONG mile.

Could RP1 be considered? Maybe, but I see no reason to believe that Universal doesn't have a good chance with Lord of The Rings, and even then, Ready Player One even if the first film is a success, does not guarantee a sustainable franchise.

The Tolkien family resist giving away the LOTR theme park rights to any company though for whatever reasons they have, so if the negotiations with them goes nowhere, Universal would have to look somewhere else. I never said RPO would guarantee a sustainable franchise, it would be similar to that of E.T. and Who Framed Roger Rabbits, which they don't have any franchises at all, yet have attractions at major theme parks. If Universal wants to replace something like MiB or whatever that is, then RPO could be a suitable replacement.

1. I realize that, but I'm saying it might be possible for RPO to have some kind of ride that doesn't over-rely on screens.

2) Illumination is already covered at USF and USH, so it's not possible to have an Illumination land in the 3rd theme park. DC Comics is owned by Six Flags and won't give it up so it's not possible to have them. All I could think of a possible Jurassic World-themed area and DreamWorks Land at a 3rd theme park in Orlando, but that's about it, and we won't see a 3rd Universal theme park until around the mid-to late 2020s in time of the L.A. Olympics in 2028.

Ummm, LA is nowhere near Orlando, so why would they wait until the Olympics to open it?

Ummm, LA is nowhere near Orlando, so why would they wait until the Olympics to open it?

I think it's been talked in the past, but I would honest to god doubt you would see bleeding from one resort to another.

But I am going to ask this, how in the seven blazes does Ready Player One even come to discussion on what is next for Universal right now, especially when we are dealing with just a one-off right now until we see either a film sequel or book sequel come out (which both could happen, as Ernie Cline is working on Ready Player Two (That's what I call the RP1 Book sequel).

I think it's been talked in the past, but I would honest to god doubt you would see bleeding from one resort to another.

But I am going to ask this, how in the seven blazes does Ready Player One even come to discussion on what is next for Universal right now, especially when we are dealing with just a one-off right now until we see either a film sequel or book sequel come out (which both could happen, as Ernie Cline is working on Ready Player Two (That's what I call the RP1 Book sequel).

To be fair, ET is a one-off, so it's not impossible. But I can't see Universal making a RPO ride within the next 6 years (cause Nintendo, Potter, Jurassic World), and the IP will probably be forgotten after that. The one scenario that I could see RPO coming into the parks is if it goes into the the new park, and that's unlikely to happen.

To be fair, ET is a one-off, so it's not impossible. But I can't see Universal making a RPO ride within the next 6 years (cause Nintendo, Potter, Jurassic World), and the IP will probably be forgotten after that. The one scenario that I could see RPO coming into the parks is if it goes into the the new park, and that's unlikely to happen.

Who's to say though that RP1 can't just go and replace something like Mummy, because in all technicality, they could just explain it as if it's going to "The Oasis" and having a tracked dark ride with VR incorporated, to basically do whatever they want with it.

It can be done, and rather simply at that, as you don't need the real world locations used in the book and movie to make it work (Sorry @Joe ;)).

*Slaps my hand over my face*. Really seriously asking this? Let alone the fact I never discussed about Universal waiting until the Olympics to open it. I'm talking about the time period when the upcoming 3rd theme park might open around that time, and the Olympics is the biggest internationally recognized sports event in history for both sports and non-sports fans alike, as it involves countries going against each other without politics involved. I say it because it's when people recognize the opening date of the LA Olympics one something most people can't ignore.

Uhhh it's because this thread is about the possible discussion about RPO being a ride and all? Honestly just because Universal has ongoing projects right now doesn't mean we can't discuss the possibility of RPO being an attraction. Always best to predict what the ride might look like ahead of time.

Well technicality some cameos could be removed however Warner Bros characters could appear in the Orlando version since Six Flags in California has the rights to DC & Looney Tunes.

Oh, you guys kept speculating.

This is not going to happen, at the very least not at Universal Studios.
The ONLY thing I see going for this is they potentially have a whole new park to fill with stuff. I just wonder how relevant it would be by then. It's far less crazy than Disney building a Tron ride so you never know I guess.

You guys do know they don't even have the theme park rights... right?

Actually Amblin owns the theme park rights....not WB. Remember anything Spielberg produces, he retains 51% of the rights to which is part of the reason why we got Transformers and MIB.

RP1 wouldn't be a ride...it makes way more sense to make the Oasis an interactive cosplay resort akin to what Disney is doing with Star Wars where you stay at the resort and do quests etc which are in the form of extremely elaborate escape rooms and challenges.