Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022) | Page 46 | Inside Universal Forums

Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
With both Mummy and Camp Jurassic having their fire effects shut down temporarily, it could be because they are near construction sites? If the new nighttime show is receiving fire effects it could mean that they are connecting lines to Mummy's tanks?

Aside from that, Mummy still needs an update. It definitely is a "classic" Universal attraction that should remain in the park for at least 2-3 more decades. BUT it needs an update. A simple update involving:
-Expanding Tomb queue to the rest of it.
-Remove the entire "in a movie set" story and just make it an actual museum you are entering (where things go wrong)
-Update effects during the dark ride portions (everything from the station to the backwards drop is fine)
-Turntable, the only portion of the ride that is just embarrassing. Update projections and add rockwork or something that can hide the corners/end of the screen
-Coaster portions are great
-Change the "fake station" gag and just add more storyline (keep the fire)
-Change the finale to still being a tomb, remove the coffee, redress exit station as a tomb

With both Mummy and Camp Jurassic having their fire effects shut down temporarily, it could be because they are near construction sites? If the new nighttime show is receiving fire effects it could mean that they are connecting lines to Mummy's tanks?

Aside from that, Mummy still needs an update. It definitely is a "classic" Universal attraction that should remain in the park for at least 2-3 more decades. BUT it needs an update. A simple update involving:
-Remove the entire "in a movie set" story and just make it an actual museum you are entering (where things go wrong)
-Update effects during the dark ride portions (everything from the station to the backwards drop is fine)
-Turntable, the only portion of the ride that is just embarrassing. Update projections and add rockwork or something that can hide the corners/end of the screen
-Change the finale to still being a tomb, remove the coffee, redress exit station as a tomb
Awe, I love the fake station gag!

I do agree the story should be reworked to feel simpler and more immersive, and an extended tomb queue would be amazing.

Does anyone have any ideas on a new finale? I don’t.

Awe, I love the fake station gag!

I do agree the story should be reworked to feel simpler and more immersive, and an extended tomb queue would be amazing.

Does anyone have any ideas on a new finale? I don’t.

Keep the fog finale effect that simulates "crashing" in thru rockwork back into the tomb. While you wait for unload there can be a projection of the mummy floating away or something

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
I do wonder if Universal Creative would of rethemed/revamped ROTM to be based on the 2017 Mummy film had it actually been successful.
I’m surprised they haven’t revamped the ride in general.

Very little of the ride itself has a strong connection to the 90s movie. Get rid of the backstage part of the queue and the Brendon Frasier video and you’re done.

Extend the Egyptian part of the queue all the way to the entrance and the whole queue would feel brand new

I do wonder if Universal Creative would of rethemed/revamped ROTM to be based on the 2017 Mummy film had it actually been successful.

I’m surprised they haven’t revamped the ride in general.

Very little of the ride itself has a strong connection to the 90s movie. Get rid of the backstage part of the queue and the Brendon Frasier video and you’re done.

Extend the Egyptian part of the queue all the way to the entrance and the whole queue would feel brand new
I say retheme it to the Universal monsters ala HHN 2009 and you've made it timeless

Ironically, the 90s movie sticks out more to people than the Tom Cruise version

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit

Camp Jurassic torches out looks to be because of nearby construction. The Mummy is more likely a physical issue requiring a refurb.

Rose yesterday in the late afternoon. Still No fire in the treasure room, but the fire ceiling effect was working. Got right back in the express line to re-ride only to have the ride go down and evac as we were in the chutes to board.
Glad to hear the ceiling fire was working. Were all the pop-up mummy guards working? When I was there a couple of weeks ago one of them was not.

Glad to hear the ceiling fire was working. Were all the pop-up mummy guards working? When I was there a couple of weeks ago one of them was not.

I didn’t notice if all of the pop-ups were working. I was paying more attention to my little guy (6) that was riding for the first time. Hard to miss the fire or lack thereof though.

PS... He did not like Mummy, but is a big fan of Gringotts.

Absolutely! His favorite ride going back to last year. He also thought he was hot stuff when he did the Immigration tour.

Bringing it back on topic, my daughter (9) was bummed we missed being on the Mummy for the evac by a car.
I like the way your daughter thinks! Maybe get the tour on Mummy for your son, what didn't he like? The backwards portion I bet.

They could simply give it an overhaul to match the Singapore version of the ride. Singapore is the EXACT same ride as Orlando, just with a slightly different take on the story. Yes, you're still fleeing from Imhotep because he wants your soul, but instead of looking for The Magi to save you, you're trying to find The Book of the Living (which he also wants, of course). The dialog throughout the ride is a mixture of the Orlando and Hollywood versions of the ride, as well as some unique-to-Singapore dialog thrown in as well. The scene where we first meet Imhotep is essentially the same (he harvests his first soul), but his victim is lying down, the animatronic animations are different and he's dressed in a hooded cloak. The turntable scene is a reverse of Orlando (it turns to the left instead of the right), but instead of the silly, TERRIBLE animation from Orlando, there are some fog curtains, "evil eyes" watching you in the distant darkness, and some hieroglyphics that light up on the walls as you turn. You then launch into the ride (with better strobing pics of Imhotep chasing you than either US version) and when you come to the "fake ending," it's just a scene where Imhotep is waiting for you. He tells you that "You will never stop me! Prepare to forfeit your souls! (evil laugh)" while he starts the ceiling on fire. Then it's the same short steep drop and brief run into the end brakes. However, instead of a video screen and Brendan Frasier waiting for you (cheesy), you come upon Imhotep's giant sarcophagus (suspended from the ceiling by ropes and shaking from the inside) as he tells you several different lines that differ each time ("Let me out!" "You can't keep me in here!" "You'll never keep the book from me!" "I'll be back!", etc.).

It's the same ride, with just a slightly different vibe to it. It's got a much more timeless feel than the (now) horribly dated Orlando version. If they toss the "movie set" theme to Orlando's ride and just make it a museum or an archaeological dig and extend the "Egyptian" theming to the very beginning of the line, it would do wonders to the ride. It would also be a pretty damn cheap overhaul too.

One area where Singapore's version BLOWS Orlando and Hollywood's versions away is the Queue line. For starters, the entrance is flanked by 2 giant stone statues (of Anubis?) that have to be 40' tall. They are absolutely MAMMOTH in size and dwarfed my tiny little Fiancee (who stands a towering 4'9" tall)...she stood even with the tops of their feet (each one stands on 3' pedestals or so). The giant aspect continues through the queue line, with other huge statues and columns lining the walkway as you journey into the show building. For being a clone, it's damn impressive compared to the other versions they've done!