Revenge of the Mummy (USH) | Page 21 | Inside Universal Forums

Revenge of the Mummy (USH)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Also you have to take into consideration that starbucks and the transformers gift shop are taking a portion of the space in the side of the building. If we could relocate those, we can have a slightly better ride. I'd still say we should build the showbuilding higher To match orlando.
That would never happen. Mummy's days are numbered.

In other news, I got kicked out of the Single Rider line yesterday because "oh these lines are way to long, you're going to need to come back later or move to standby".

Ughh.

Mummy isn't going anywhere anytime soon. USH is allocating capital to increase park offerings and replacing Mummy would only leave the total number flat. 

Having said that…I hope that is does go away at some point. I'm not a fan. Universal has demonstrated that they are focused on creating immersive environments at their Hollywood Park. I'd expect an expansion of the Jurassic Park theme in the lower lot if Mummy were to be removed. Maybe a clone of the new Jurassic coaster going into Japan?!?! One can hope… 

Reactions: Stylowtrix
Its probably closed because "The curse, its real! The whole place is a trap! He's after your souls! Look for medjai symbol, its your only hope!"

oh wait... that's Orlando... nevermind...

Reactions: JaySalahi
The original design was at launch to go straight forward and exit the building, make a loop right next to the Starway and then back into the building. It was was cut for budget purposes and allocated to Orlando's. Also, a year later (2005) the ride was extended an additional 15 seconds. The ride vehicles were slowed down in scenes 3, 4, and 5. New on-board/off-board audio was produced for this update.

Reactions: Chris and Alexshow.
...This seems interesting but if that was the case. It would of also asked a question. If the ride track went outside, would it be wise to think a facade update was in the original plans? As that would make sense if they go outside, but..its GE so I think I know my answer already.

The original design was at launch to go straight forward and exit the building, make a loop right next to the Starway and then back into the building. It was was cut for budget purposes and allocated to Orlando's. Also, a year later (2005) the ride was extended an additional 15 seconds. The ride vehicles were slowed down in scenes 3, 4, and 5. New on-board/off-board audio was produced for this update.
I do remember hearing about the loop concept.  That would have been awesome, but budgets of that time were very low.  Just look at Shrek and Mummy and Simpsons all in those post 9/11 years.

Orlando always got bigger budgets, its a resort. Post 9/11 USH became a locals park, mainly as the Asian community from overseas didn't come as frequent. All the new "mall type retail" stores came in. Shrek (inside theatre) was a joke, just a movie theater with no art direction... really? LOL! Yup. ROTM was supposed to have a massive queue all the exterior queue going towards the Starway was all supposed to be in-doors. That was cut as well. So as you can tell USH really isn't going above and beyond like they did in the 1990's.

So in Orlando during HHN when there was a 3D house, we'd always make the joke about riding Mummy wearing the 3D glasses due to the black light ghost mummy imagery... so naturally, after I took a trip through This is the End, since it conveniently dumps out right by Mummy and there was zero wait, I couldn't resist. I totally rode it while wearing the 3D glasses.... and yes, it DID enhance those black light cutouts! :lol:

So while everyone else seems to be counting down the demise of this great ride, I still enjoy it for what it is rather than what it could be. Last night I rode it 5 times and I found myself really appreciating what this version reminded me of. .....a classic cheesy old-school dark ride. That's what the cut-out ghost mummies remind me of (and its amusing how easily those do scare guests).

I like the mummies coming to life in the first tomb scene. I was really paying attention to them last night. They're definitely creepy.

Oh yea, I've noticed the scarab beetle leg-tickler effect doesn't always work.

I don't despise it, it just really underwhelms me and leaves me wanting a lot more, and not in a good way like a fancy dish or fun movie. I genuinely have fun on it and enjoy it. But it just really underwhelms me. It's too short, a lot of the effects are extremely mediocre or dated, and the ending is absolutely horrible and was unfortunately ruined.

I think a new facade, and updated state of the art effects would go a long way in making it a ton better, even while being short.