Rise of the Resistance - Boarding Passes/Uptimes (DHS) | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Rise of the Resistance - Boarding Passes/Uptimes (DHS)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
At the same time, it would relieve the CMs of the "frenzy and discord" at park opening. And the park would no longer need to open so early, either.
better the CM's than the paying tourists. they get paid (though not enough) to do it :lol:....BUT it would be best if no one, tourist or CM, had to endure this.

better the CM's than the paying tourists. they get paid (though not enough) to do it :lol:....BUT it would be best if no one, tourist or CM, had to endure this.
Guests are enduring the "Frenzy" right now too, though.

Personally I think it would be more orderly and while a bit less fair as it would highly advantage WDW hotels, I think anything is better than what they're doing now. The current way of doing things is not something that they can keep doing for too long after the Holidays. They need to get capacity up on this so that it can accommodate stand-by quickly.

Reactions: Andysol
Me thinks it's time to go the Hagrid route and just do stand-by, but close the line early. I really wonder how long they expect the VQ to be in place and if it'll be done by the time MMRR is opening - especially because rumor is Mickey will be using the VQ upon opening.

Traditional "queue" is the most most "fair" system. Period.

Boarding passes are the min/max of "fair" and "pleasant". Waiting in line isn't pleasant but it's fair; having prebookings isn't fair at all but pleasant.

I somehow doubt MMRR is going to have virtual queue...

I somehow doubt MMRR is going to have virtual queue...
The main reason i've heard Disney wants to do a VQ for MMRR is bc, as we all know, the Chinese theater can't hold more than 45 minutes worth of queue (they haven't expanded the queue, it's mostly the same). They're probably gonna have to snake the queue all throughout the entry area of the theater and potentially down to Pixar Place. Combine that with the ride system being the same as Rise and a lot of moving parts and it could have a lot of breakdowns.

Maybe they won't use the system, but if they don't i'm thinking they're feeling really good in the ride's reliability as a lot of WDW insiders are saying the plan is for the ride to launch with VQ.

The main reason i've heard Disney wants to do a VQ for MMRR is bc, as we all know, the Chinese theater can't hold more than 45 minutes worth of queue (they haven't expanded the queue, it's mostly the same). They're probably gonna have to snake the queue all throughout the entry area of the theater and potentially down to Pixar Place. Combine that with the ride system being the same as Rise and a lot of moving parts and it could have a lot of breakdowns.

Maybe they won't use the system, but if they don't i'm thinking they're feeling really good in the ride's reliability as a lot of WDW insiders are saying the plan is for the ride to launch with VQ.

MMRR also doesn't have an elevator and simulator drop tower either. I think Disney wants some big queues for once.

Traditional "queue" is the most most "fair" system. Period.

Looks at all the dumb asses running to FOP when rope drops......Nope. VQ is the future and it seems like a great guest experience. If I know a line is going to be 4 hours all day I'm not standing in line. If the VQ if full so be it. Sure people have vacations planned around this stuff but the reality is reality.

Universal was criticized for the long stand by Hagrid lines. In retrospect, though, especially since Hagrid's had to cope with weather as a new outdoors ride, Universal probably made the right decision in not using a virtual queue. I agree with Joe. It's looking like a traditional stand by line might be the best option. No fastpass though, since that just slows things down more.....Unfortunately, with low capacity due to technical issues, there's no perfect situation for this....especially with 36,000 on site Disney hotel rooms plus thousands of non Disney hotel rooms, It's nearly impossible for any system to accommodate those numbers.....not counting off site hotels and locals.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Universal was criticized for the long stand by Hagrid lines. In retrospect, though, especially since Hagrid's had to cope with weather as a new outdoors ride, Universal probably made the right decision in not using a virtual queue. I agree with Joe. It's looking like a traditional stand by line might be the best option. No fastpass though, since that just slows things down more.
Disney seems to finally be admitting FP doesn't work with by not having FP at the start of these new rides and from what i've heard, they have no intention of using FP on any of their new rides through 2021 at launch. Of course FP will come eventually to all of these, but they realize it's an ops nightmare, especially when demand for an attraction is high.

Reactions: therock and Mad Dog
I think the big problem here is that Disney isn't communicating to guest what the boarding pass procedures will be and definitely not communicating changes until day of. All of this, of course, is to mask the fact that the ride isn't really ready for daily operation and so far, the PR move seems to have worked.

I do think they're are going to have a huge issue over the holidays with tons of families who booked vacations based off of the marketing for this ride and a huge majority won't be able to ride it and won't understand what they need to do to get a boarding pass.

Universal was criticized for the long stand by Hagrid lines. In retrospect, though, especially since Hagrid's had to cope with weather as a new outdoors ride, Universal probably made the right decision in not using a virtual queue. I agree with Joe. It's looking like a traditional stand by line might be the best option. No fastpass though, since that just slows things down more.

Never said BEST option, just the most "fair". By fair I mean the ability of any day guest to ride on a given day.

Reactions: Legacy and Mad Dog
Looks at all the dumb asses running to FOP when rope drops......Nope. VQ is the future and it seems like a great guest experience. If I know a line is going to be 4 hours all day I'm not standing in line. If the VQ if full so be it. Sure people have vacations planned around this stuff but the reality is reality.
VQ can't be used on everything. The thousands that would otherwise be standing in line then just end up in the streets and the park as a whole can fit less people in through the gates because they aren't utilizing the queue space.

Me thinks it's time to go the Hagrid route and just do stand-by, but close the line early. I really wonder how long they expect the VQ to be in place and if it'll be done by the time MMRR is opening - especially because rumor is Mickey will be using the VQ upon opening.

Problem is they can't hold turnstiles until 7 because the "secure" area inside of security has been completely filled up, making it a fire hazard. They haven't been opening early for fun, it's been because they need to comply with the fire marshall.

I meant the other Disney parks. At this point, with all the complains no matter what they do, Disney should say "screw it", stop the BG, and make everyone stand in line. Then they can kvetch about it like people in FoP do.

The issue isn't one of desire, it's because they can't hold more than 1.5 hrs of people beyond the turret. Even then, any queue extension plans without cutting off any major guest pathways buys them an extra hour.

I think the main issue is using the app to get a boarding group. It's a free for all. I think everyone should have to wait in a line somewhere in the park to get a boarding group pass. That way the people that are there first get the first boarding groups and no one has a disadvantage based on their internet speed.

Reactions: Alicia
VQ doesn't work well for people that are only planning to be in a park for a few hours, which is often the case with vacationing tourists, AP holders and locals. It's only attractive to someone that likes to hardcore rides in parks for 10-12 hours....Plus, as others have said, it floods the common areas with crowds of people.

The issue isn't one of desire, it's because they can't hold more than 1.5 hrs of people beyond the turret. Even then, any queue extension plans without cutting off any major guest pathways buys them an extra hour.
I thought the queue seemed rather small when walking through, but that seems like an oversight not to have had it be able to hold more when designing the attraction. Of course the attraction was designed for Disneyland where they have more than 8 rides in the park.

I think the main issue is using the app to get a boarding group. It's a free for all. I think everyone should have to wait in a line somewhere in the park to get a boarding group pass. That way the people that are there first get the first boarding groups and no one has a disadvantage based on their internet speed.
I like this idea. Cause WiFi issues this morning caused me to get 30 groups behind my neighbors.

VQ doesn't work well for people that are only planning to be in a park for a few hours, which is often the case with vacationing tourists, AP holders and locals. It's only attractive to someone that likes to hardcore rides in parks for 10-12 hours....Plus, as others have said, it floods the common areas with crowds of people.
A standby line wouldn't work for them either. At this point you just aren't going to get on rides at Disney unless you are willing to go early, late, or wait. Again demand greatly outstrips supply no way around it.

Also Disney has been doing fastpass bookings digitally for long enough that yes, they can use virtual lines for every new ride. Just doing a normal line is just more of a PITA for the average person and isn't really any fairer. I'm sure some execs at Disney probably hate having to actually staff people accordingly to manage this whole thing. It would be cheaper to open right on time and dump everyone into a line, but the expectations should be higher than that in the Disney parks. I wouldn't be surprised if ops were butting heads with the suits a bit on how to manage this thing long term.

My thought though all this discussion is if I really need to be one of the first? The ride will be substantially the same 6 months from now just a hotter wait. I think I am showing my age but Diagon was the last "being in first" that I think I will be doing. Plenty happy to go next year. I waited until Hagrid's was about an hour line and was glad I did, since it is not a problem to get a ride or even two if I want. FoP I waited and was able to rope drop later on so little wait.
All in all I would rather not fight the crowds any more. Guess I'm tired....

Guess I blocked out the whole Kong thing, yeah I got some softs there...

It looks like a decent ops day so far, already on Group 96 at 3:50. Last few nights they’ve stopped just past 120 so we’ll see how far they get tonight.

Reactions: Alicia