Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
One of the first comics I ever read was Shang-Chi. This trailer was insanely disappointing. The synopsis sounds like a complete retcon. Making Mandarin Shang-Chi's father? Is Marvel effing stupid? Making the rings bracelets? Not impressed.

One of the first comics I ever read was Shang-Chi. This trailer was insanely disappointing. The synopsis sounds like a complete retcon. Making Mandarin Shang-Chi's father? Is Marvel effing stupid? Making the rings bracelets? Not impressed.
The MCU alters or combines comic book characters all the time to fit their needs. White Wolf is a completely different character than Bucky/Winter Soldier in the comics, for example. I'm not sure i'd call it a retcon, since we haven't seen it in the MCU yet. It could only be a retcon canonically once they go against what they establish in the canon/MCU.

Well his father in the comics was Fu Manchu... who’s a whole level of totally inappropriate for the modern age. Also they’re probably trying to differentiate the Ten Rings from the Infinity Gauntlet in terms of appearance and power set. A set of individually powered relics that grant more power when they’re united?... I think it’ll be fine

China may not allow Shang-Chi to play in China as they are worried about the portrayal of China and Chinese people.

I really wanna know why exactly they're afraid--perhaps it has something to do with the chinese reception to 2020's Mulan?

An asian-led film does bad in Asia isn't good optics and also significantly weakens the Marvel brand as well as Disney Synergy. Its kinda like how Crazy Rich Asians flopped in Asia despite being big in other areas.

But then again, Marvel and China are together when it comes to popularity when every single F&F has done better than every marvel movie with the exception of endgame

I really wanna know why exactly they're afraid--perhaps it has something to do with the chinese reception to 2020's Mulan?
I think it's China's fear of the unknown with the movie. Especially given how things are portrayed in the comics.

An asian-led film does bad in Asia isn't good optics and also significantly weakens the Marvel brand as well as Disney Synergy. Its kinda like how Crazy Rich Asians flopped in Asia despite being big in other areas.

But then again, Marvel and China are together when it comes to popularity when every single F&F has done better than every marvel movie with the exception of endgame
This is China worried, not Marvel.

This is China worried, not Marvel.

Let me rephrase this....China isn't worried in particular for Shang-Chi. This Chinese populace have been bashing this movie since Simu Liu was cast, the fact the film wasn't even shot in China, and the certain characters origins.

Eternals is what scares China because you have a well established director whose is Chinese and critical of China have an influential voice that others may try to emulate causing a rebellion in China.

Shang-Chi is just a timely casualty of the battle

In other news, Shang-Chi will be one of Disney's first films to go down to the 45 day window, with Fox's Free Guy being the first.

Good for Theaters

I can't wait for a World where we can have both. Honestly some people just do not want to head out to see many films...yes WE enjoy watching films with others but if you can enjoy Falcon and Wanda at home..why not a MCU film?

Good for Theaters

I can't wait for a World where we can have both. Honestly some people just do not want to head out to see many films...yes WE enjoy watching films with others but if you can enjoy Falcon and Wanda at home..why not a MCU film?
I get why people enjoy the home experience, but I wish I could watch FATWS in theaters. Marvel films are made to be seen in cinemas, not at home, no matter how good your home cinema is. Nothing can compare to seeing a movie made for the big screen on the big screen with a group of friends and an overpriced bucket of popcorn.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I get why people enjoy the home experience, but I wish I could watch FATWS in theaters. Marvel films are made to be seen in cinemas, not at home, no matter how good your home cinema is. Nothing can compare to seeing a movie made for the big screen on the big screen with a group of friends and an overpriced bucket of popcorn.
I agree but why the heck do we need to force people to do it

If its that great people will do it...if not then the people have spoken. Also most people watch movies at home...seen Back to the Future on the TV first....but still loved it

I agree but why the heck do we need to force people to do it
Because while 2020 and the early part of 2021 can be written off in the eyes of Wall Street due to Covid and losses can be taken, Big Budget films still need to make money in order for them to justify making more of them. Disney+ already has MCU shows that they are paying top dollar for (and taking losses on), they can't afford to take losses on the movies as well. I think a 45-day window is fine, especially since big budget movies make the vast majority of their money in the first 2-3 weeks anyway.

Also, it's not like Shang-Chi or Free Guy will be streaming along with theatrical release. It just means it will be on streaming sooner than it would've been before. Disney has clearly shown that their blockbusters will only get dropped on Disney+ day and date through Premiere Access. Chapek must consider animation a lesser than product than he really should because that's the only thing he's been willing to just give to Disney+ for free.

Because while 2020 and the early part of 2021 can be written off in the eyes of Wall Street due to Covid and losses can be taken, Big Budget films still need to make money in order for them to justify making more of them. Disney+ already has MCU shows that they are paying top dollar for (and taking losses on), they can't afford to take losses on the movies as well. I think a 45-day window is fine, especially since big budget movies make the vast majority of their money in the first 2-3 weeks anyway.

Also, it's not like Shang-Chi or Free Guy will be streaming along with theatrical release. It just means it will be on streaming sooner than it would've been before. Disney has clearly shown that their blockbusters will only get dropped on Disney+ day and date through Premiere Access. Chapek must consider animation a lesser than product than he really should because that's the only thing he's been willing to just give to Disney+ for free.
It is but I'm just saying I hope one day they find a way to do both

Also budget isn't everything I enjoyed Invinsable, Mando and Falcon/Winter Solider more than Kong vs Godzillia...budget doesn't always mean quality

It is but I'm just saying I hope one day they find a way to do both

Also budget isn't everything I enjoyed Invinsable, Mando and Falcon/Winter Solider more than Kong vs Godzillia...budget doesn't always mean quality
No one ever said budget means quality, but the bigger the budget, the bigger the expected return is. Disney can justify the MCU shows costing as much as they do because they are basically costing about as much as Ant-Man, which is among the cheaper MCU movies, and they get 6-10 episodes out of the show (depending on episode length) and 6 hours worth of content, or to put it another way, 3 full two-hour movies worth of content.

Reactions: SeventyOne

This. No matter how many big films Disney releases in a month--and no matter how many times you watch them--Disney+ only gets $12/month per family. Even one blockbuster a month with a family of 3 means more money from theaters even after everyone gets their cut. And while it's 1 in 20 films that explodes and becomes a surprise blockbuster. there's virtually zero chance of that on streaming. Streaming places limits on what studios can win on their gambles.

Chapek must consider animation a lesser than product than he really should because that's the only thing he's been willing to just give to Disney+ for free.

IGN had some docs showing Disney+ has been skewing very white. Their theory is that Soul--obviously steeped in the African-American experience--and the new merman kid movie--which I believe is set in Spain?--are a gambit to drive up minority subscriber numbers. In other words, Pixar's effort to explore diverse voices is being monetized by Chapek, whether Pixar animators like it or not.

Reactions: Nick