Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If anything I would have liked to see MORE of the fantasy elements. Pleasantly surprised to see Wong return, though I hate that they undid Professor Hulk.

If anything I would have liked to see MORE of the fantasy elements. Pleasantly surprised to see Wong return, though I hate that they undid Professor Hulk.
Wong is one of my favorite side characters, and glad he got to be in the film a little as for Hulk, I think the snap or something is taking a toll on Bruce's Body. Most Likely we will see whats up with him in She Hulk but even Abomination isn't the same any more...him and Wong seem to be friends. So the MCU likes change and rarely lets a character just settle in a place for long

Shang-Chi's Monday numbers, as the case with the entire weekend, came in significantly ahead of where it was projected even after the projection was adjusted yesterday. It was expected that Shang-Chi had made roughly $14.5M yesterday, but the actuals came in at $19.2M, bringing the 4-day total to $94.6M domestic and $150M WW. That means in just 4 days of release, the film has already earned more than Free Guy (which itself has been an impressive pandemic performer), and will pass Godzilla v. Kong and Jungle Cruise in the coming days domestically.

Shang-Chi's Monday numbers, as the case with the entire weekend, came in significantly ahead of where it was projected even after the projection was adjusted yesterday. It was expected that Shang-Chi had made roughly $14.5M yesterday, but the actuals came in at $19.2M, bringing the 4-day total to $94.6M domestic and $150M WW. That means in just 4 days of release, the film has already earned more than Free Guy (which itself has been an impressive pandemic performer), and will pass Godzilla v. Kong and Jungle Cruise in the coming days domestically.
Not siding with streaming being irrelevant for new films, but seeing Shang Chi in the theaters on opening night proved to me why I will always prefer the theatrical experience over PVOD. The fans were laughing, cheering and getting excited over the cameos. It’s why I started my career in the film industry. If I joined knowing there was a good chance I’d be working on big budget films that go direct to streaming, I think that passion might have evaporated.

Reactions: Nick
Not siding with streaming being irrelevant for new films, but seeing Shang Chi in the theaters on opening night proved to me why I will always prefer the theatrical experience over PVOD. The fans were laughing, cheering and getting excited over the cameos. It’s why I started my career in the film industry. If I joined knowing there was a good chance I’d be working on big budget films that go direct to streaming, I think that passion might have evaporated.
Yup. I know some people just don't like movie theaters, but to me, there's nothing like going to a Thursday night opening showing of the latest MCU or Star Wars film. Even a movie like Free Guy or the John Wick movies are a blast at the movies, especially with big audiences. Musicals are also great in theaters with a crowd. Honestly it kills me that I didn't see In The Heights in a theater since now i'll likely never have that chance to see it there again.

The only type of movie i'm fine waiting to see at home are more the the generic "Awards Play" movies, of which, most are usually straight dramas that to me, seeing them in a theater doesn't add enough extra to the point where I feel like I need to go, especially since a lot of those types of movies can be rather dull (although I wish I could've seen The Irishman in theaters). The big bombastic movies though are the reason why I like going. It gives a true experience that I can't get at home.

Saw Shang-Chi today; and to agree with everyone else, wow this film was really good. Might even be my favorite solo film in the MCU, ahead of Black Panther and Doctor Strange respectively.

Simu Liu and Awkwafina do really well together, especially Awkwafina. The music is the MCU's best, going beyond Wakanda's theme (Xu Shang-Chi is absolutely a banger in symphonic MCU scores); with some stellar visual effects and writing. The only major complaint, is a good bit of shakyness in the final battle of the film (which I won't spoil).

Can't wait to see how Shang-Chi moves in with the rest of the ensemble.

I think this movie was great! Though it loses much of its momentum in the third act with the return of a certain someone who just makes the movie completely silly and an over the top final battle which kind of takes away from the movie's humanity of the actual spotlight. Love what they're doing with the lore, though I do wish there was more to be had with the actual "Rings" considering the movie's subtitle is all about it haha. But characters and fights were all awesome. Definitely in my Top 10 MCU movies, possibly even Top 5.

Last edited:
I think this movie was great! Though it loses much of its momentum in the third act with the return of a certain someone who just makes the movie completely silly and an over the top final battle which kind of takes away from the humanity of the actual spotlight. Love what they're doing with the lore, though I do wish there was more to be had with the actual "Rings" considering the movie's subtitle is all about it haha. But characters and fights were all awesome. Definitely in my Top 10 MCU movies, possibly even Top 5.
I think "that" character was great up until they get to the ending location.
The Planet of the Apes joke is one of the best MCU jokes to me ever.

I hope the next film with this character lets him just fight like Daredare, Batman and so on. We don't need big CGI battles to be epic, hand to hand is sometimes the best I think Civil War and Winter Soldier were the best fights up to this film because of that.