Six Flags Magic Mountain | Page 103 | Inside Universal Forums

Six Flags Magic Mountain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
? I've been associated with this industry for almost a decade now and this site to hopefully at least provide some insight. Your choice to believe, not mine. I'm just hoping to share alongside those who care and are excited about these parks as I am.
Dude it was a joke man. How many people on here always say they know somebody who knows somebody. Hence why I put the winking smiley after my post.

I can't see SF being able to afford construction on this ride anywhere in 2021, especially now that they've already pushed major projects back a year and slashed their capital budget.

That said, losing a raptor at SFMM means nothing to me. They are fun for sure, but the capacity and restraints suck. I'd be fine with SFMM getting back on their feet, and waiting for something better.

Reactions: chris.g and Freak
So I'm hearing that the park is ready to open up soon, like REAL soon, and if they meet a designated deadline then the Raptor stays, but if they don't, it may be delayed or moved to another park (the original rumor). Factors are whether or not Knotts' decides to open as well.

So I'm hearing that the park is ready to open up soon, like REAL soon, and if they meet a designated deadline then the Raptor stays, but if they don't, it may be delayed or moved to another park (the original rumor). Factors are whether or not Knotts' decides to open as well.
How would they be able to open but Disney can't?

Disney makes wayyyy more money so unless its a special event don't see how they can

None of the parks in Cali are opening until the governor allows it. Unless they come up with a non-ride concept like they did with Knott's and SFDK then they're not opening any time soon.

Reactions: Rideguy70
None of the parks in Cali are opening until the governor allows it. Unless they come up with a non-ride concept like they did with Knott's and SFDK then they're not opening any time soon.
If the governor had no interest in letting up soon, I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of either of those parks saying “screw this, we’re gonna open up anyway”, if what Chris is saying is true.

I'm leaning towards the non-ride option... my only question is what would allow them to attract visitors without rides open?

lol

What the hell would you do? If it's just open besides walking around not much else to do? Why would you pay for that?
Who knows. They've had holiday food fests before (which to be fair, actually has a pretty good lineup) All I know is SFMM is in a hurry to open up because they don't want to lose the raptor (hate to be the guy that says I hope they don't get it anyways... but I hope they don't get it lol). With COVID cases rising in LA it leaves no feasibility for the park to open.

As has already been stated, SFMM can want to open all it wants... if the Governor won't allow it, it won't open. End of story. And with our Covid rates not declining, I just can't see him allowing parks to open (wtih rides, anyway).

I did go to Taste of Calico at Knott's, and I did think for a short moment that maybe SFMM could do similar. They have done some half-hearted attempts at food festivals before, and while there were a few clunker items, a few were actually pretty decent. But as a whole, I don't think anyone thinks of SFMM and says to themselves, "Yes, I'd go there just for the food and nothing else."

Some ideas maybe they could do:
  • Bring in Food Trucks
  • Offer self-guided behind the scenes tours, with an audio track you could download, and just a few scattered security watching. Also, maybe dining/viewing in locations usually off limits to guests, such as having food tables inside Scream, or allow people to wander inside sections of Twisted Colossus or Goliath. And personally, I'd love access again to the Revolution loop viewing platform
  • An exhibit of MM history, like they had for a while on top of the Skytower
  • Also, I seem to recall on one of their surveys, they once played with the idea of pay a set price (like $20), and play as many boardwalk games as you'd like for an hour. I'd do that, if they clean items after every use.
The trick is, they'd have to stick to "outdoor only and socially distanced" activities.

I'd imagine their Haunt is off the table as well. However, if the rules for closures are still the same come December (and personally, I think they will be), they could still do WinterFest.

Who knows. They've had holiday food fests before (which to be fair, actually has a pretty good lineup) All I know is SFMM is in a hurry to open up because they don't want to lose the raptor (hate to be the guy that says I hope they don't get it anyways... but I hope they don't get it lol). With COVID cases rising in LA it leaves no feasibility for the park to open.
I'm very much down for the food idea's but really wonder if the crowds will come past one event.

I could be wrong but think Six Flags is mainly teens and thrill seekers, and think Knotts/universal/Disney has more people who want more food events because the area's they are also have nostalgia and themes

LOL... SFMM could open and sell funnel cakes and people would go at this point.
I would not go that far with MM, it gets crowds sometimes but it's no where as busy as the other theme parks. On Days when it gets filled are usually when they give out Free tickets to pass holders.
I have gone many weekend where besides X2, all other rides have 20-30 min lines all day and not on a weekday this is on a weekend. I've watched bloggers go on school days, its dead.

So while maybe an event could work not at the same effect as other parks. I'd love to be wrong but unless it was free to get in for Pass holders i doubt most events would sell out.

I would not go that far with MM, it gets crowds sometimes but it's no where as busy as the other theme parks. On Days when it gets filled are usually when they give out Free tickets to pass holders.
I have gone many weekend where besides X2, all other rides have 20-30 min lines all day and not on a weekday this is on a weekend. I've watched bloggers go on school days, its dead.

So while maybe an event could work not at the same effect as other parks. I'd love to be wrong but unless it was free to get in for Pass holders i doubt most events would sell out.

I would normally agree, but we've never been through anything like this before. All bets are off now that people are dying to get out of the house and be even near a theme park.

Besides, it would give SFMM the ability to test run their new procedures.

If I were in charge, I'd have some sort of 50th anniversary preview were I'd invite the press and local bloggers to get a preview of what they have planned next year (assuming it's not cancelled). And I'd do some sort of food event for the public to coincide with the announcement.

Last edited:
Reactions: chris.g
I would normally agree, but we've never been through anything like this before. All bets are off now that people are dying to get out of the house and be even near a theme park.

If I were in charge, I'd have some sort of 50th anniversary preview were I'd invite the press and local bloggers to get a preview of what they have planned next year (assuming it's not cancelled). And I'd do some sort of food event for the public to coincide with the announcement.
This seems feasible and would lineup with a reason to have to want to open in order to get some sort of profit before the announcement of anything coming in 2021. Or they could market the 50th as something that will span 2-3 years ala Disney does. I feel SFMM will come up with anything stupid in order to stay open, the 365 days a year thing was a terrible decision and theyre reaping the repercussions.

EDIT : SFMM is keeping the Raptor after all. sigh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Southerncoasterer

We will see when it opens.....if AP's can come for free I think it will be fine but if it costs extra like Knotts then I don't think after a few weeks it will be that busy at all

Reactions: Southerncoasterer