Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Six Flags Magic Mountain

Not really. All I have heard though was that Baja Ridge was probably the next area being targeted for update (from Revolution all the way to Tatsu). Maybe a flat ride will go there?

They've actually already had flat rides up there... two, as a matter of fact (same location, different times). A Spanish themed Tilt-A-Whirl (when it was relocated from the now Boardwalk area, where it was called the Circus Wheel... now where the 3-pt shootout game is) and a Huss Condor... which, while truthfully not a great ride, still holds endless facination for me. It was moved to Six Flags Great America in Chicago, where it still operates to this day.

Yep, which makes we wonder how they'd be able to market a refurb of Baja Ridge without anything major... unless it were a flat ride package.

They've actually already had flat rides up there... two, as a matter of fact (same location, different times). A Spanish themed Tilt-A-Whirl (when it was relocated from the now Boardwalk area, where it was called the Circus Wheel... now where the 3-pt shootout game is) and a Huss Condor... which, while truthfully not a great ride, still holds endless facination for me. It was moved to Six Flags Great America in Chicago, where it still operates to this day.

Dude you're like a Flat Ride Sensei Master. You truly know you're flat rides.

I wish SFMM would add more kinetic energy in the park in the form of transportation such as a locomotive. I'm sure they used to have it, would be nice if they brought something back.

Pretty sure it won't happen due to the fact that their target audience wouldn't appreciate it.

Yep, which makes we wonder how they'd be able to market a refurb of Baja Ridge without anything major... unless it were a flat ride package.

Or possibly a BIG ASS flat ride ala Crazanity. Though not sure if there is space for it in that area.

^I assume you know SFMM used to have a monorail... Metro, the "world's first fully automated monorail". Many beams are still up. The three stations were at the now Crazanity spot, sort of behind the Full Throttle Grille, and the tunnel Full Throttle now goes through. The latter was promoted as a stop for the Four Winds Steakhouse, billed as a fine dining, I believe where the unused Laughing Dragon location is now.

They also had the Dragon, which was a sort of very, very, very slow moving people mover type ride. The lower Dragon station still sits unused to this day between Goldrusher and Jet Stream, and the upper Dragon station is now Ninja's station. If you look carefully at the floor, you'll notice a large circular platform still on the floor. That was the rotating platform you'd board on, ala Jet Stream. It went so slow, it was common for people to get out and start walking along the platform... walking was actually faster! Plus, at night, many shenanigans would ensue, also leading to it's downfall. A small hint of the original track still exists, you can see it off I believe to the left as you go up the final lift hill on Ninja, near the top.

And let's not forget they had not one, but two skyways called Eagle's Flight. One went from the top of the mountain to where Riddler's is now, and the other went from the top of the mountain to where Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom is now. Both stations at Riddler's and Lex Luthor are long gone, but the station at the top of the mountain still exists... it gets used for mazes at Fright Fest (this year being Sewer of Souls). Yes, that used to be a dual skyway station! In fact, when they create a maze for that location, they have to work around two large footers that still exist inside the structure (at least, they existed as of a few years ago). They were closed after the Northridge quake.

Amazingly, the funicular (Happy Honda Express) still exists. Probably one of the last transportation rides that exists there now.

The big joke in the early years of Magic Mountain was that they had a lot of transportation rides, but nothing to do once you got there. At the time, the park was lacking a lot of signature attractions. Funny how times have changed.

I guess I do know quite a bit about my flat rides! Been going to SFMM since I was very young, so I remember quite a bit of it! I even have an original Magic Mountain Troll.

Bonus trivia question: Does anyone know what the Tumble Drum was, what it did, and where it was located? Kudos and praise to anyone who can answer correctly. :)

If I understood correctly, the issue this whole time with Viper was the lift hill chain/motor. It wasn't meant to be a refubishment of the ride vehicles or track. There is a rumor of the trains getting the newer "vest" style restraints, but I haven't heard much about it.

On a side note, I heard on other forums that the "secret" row to ride Viper for smoothness is 2nd from the back. While I haven't compared it to all other rows, it seems (relatively) smooth. Not perfect, mind you... it is still an older model Arrow, after all... but better and much more tolerable than other seats.

View attachment 8605 Update from the park. They will add another bring a friend ticket and your 2018 Season Pass doesn’t expire until January 6th!

Uh oh.

As a fun aside, my original prediction was that SFMM was going to surpass CP in attendance within 5 years. Considering the flat attendance brought on by SV, 2019 might be the year this prediction happens.

SFMM might take the crown away from CP sooner rather than later, especially with the wise decisions they have been making with their AP fan base & attraction selections.

While I have no numbers in front of me, the fact SFMM is open 365 and CP closes for a number of months alone should be close to bridging a gap.

Bingo.

There's still a big gap in attendance between MM and CP and it would take a few years of steady attendance increases for that to change.

See above...

Also:

TOP 20 NA Parks 2017 Attendance According to TEA

14. Cedar Point=3,604,000
16. Six Flags Magic Mountain=3,365,000

TOTAL DIFFERENCE=239,000

If CP has another year of flat attendance or even negative attendance and SFMM has an attendance growth of 4-5%, it will SIGNIFICANTLY close the gap.

At this point, it's a matter of WHEN, not if. My original point still stands that SFMM will surpass CP in attendance faster than the predicted 5 year mark.

From Screamscape, OTSRs are not in the updated train design,

db_2019_0103_WestCoastRacer_newtrainart1.jpg