Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Six Flags Magic Mountain

As has already been stated, SFMM can want to open all it wants... if the Governor won't allow it, it won't open. End of story. And with our Covid rates not declining, I just can't see him allowing parks to open (wtih rides, anyway).

I did go to Taste of Calico at Knott's, and I did think for a short moment that maybe SFMM could do similar. They have done some half-hearted attempts at food festivals before, and while there were a few clunker items, a few were actually pretty decent. But as a whole, I don't think anyone thinks of SFMM and says to themselves, "Yes, I'd go there just for the food and nothing else."

Some ideas maybe they could do:
  • Bring in Food Trucks
  • Offer self-guided behind the scenes tours, with an audio track you could download, and just a few scattered security watching. Also, maybe dining/viewing in locations usually off limits to guests, such as having food tables inside Scream, or allow people to wander inside sections of Twisted Colossus or Goliath. And personally, I'd love access again to the Revolution loop viewing platform
  • An exhibit of MM history, like they had for a while on top of the Skytower
  • Also, I seem to recall on one of their surveys, they once played with the idea of pay a set price (like $20), and play as many boardwalk games as you'd like for an hour. I'd do that, if they clean items after every use.
The trick is, they'd have to stick to "outdoor only and socially distanced" activities.

I'd imagine their Haunt is off the table as well. However, if the rules for closures are still the same come December (and personally, I think they will be), they could still do WinterFest.
Magic Mountain can open for funnel cake only and I am there.

Interesting... the article is speaking for the Six Flags chain as a whole, so there's a possibliity it wouldn't include SFMM. But Aftermath is already a completely outdoor maze, so with very minor modifications, that could be good to go. But all their other mazes are indoors (unless you count the Witch scarezone by JL), so what else could they do in such limited time?

It does mention more family friendly, so maybe it'd just be a series of displays and food?

Interesting... the article is speaking for the Six Flags chain as a whole, so there's a possibliity it wouldn't include SFMM. But Aftermath is already a completely outdoor maze, so with very minor modifications, that could be good to go. But all their other mazes are indoors (unless you count the Witch scarezone by JL), so what else could they do in such limited time?

It does mention more family friendly, so maybe it'd just be a series of displays and food?
I don't want to hold out too much hope.

BUT if they wanted to they could do more outside mazes IF the plan was not to open rides for the rest of the year.

They have the space using the space near riddler/JL which already had a "mini" maze area you could make bigger, Aftermath is a VERY wide maze, Maybe something Joker themed in the DC area, maybe use the area near twisted colossus/Scream for a scream area you walk through, it even has a place where the area has a entrance and exit path so could use that, the old chupacabra maze area is all outside so could be used and lastly the upper area near superman/Ninja use the stairs as the line area you walk around until you hit the downside of the hill on the other side.

It will be interesting to see if they can do it at MM, but if they can do it safely then im all for it

Some Six Flags News from screamscape

While the 2020 season has been mostly a big bust as far as theme parks go, rumor is that Six Flags is still pushing forward towards another chain-wide announcement day for the company’s 2021 additions. If the rumors are true, this will take place in late August as usually, and is tentatively set for Thursday, August 27th.
I can hear the grumbles now however, as the general line of thought is that Six Flags will end up just announcing all the 2020 rides that failed to open as “New for 2021” attractions. I thought the same thing, but there are some interesting new rumors starting to surface here and there. According to these early rumors Six Flags may actually be planning on plussing these announcements with some all new surprises.
What gets added, if anything, will depend on the individual park and what took place in 2020, as well as what new attraction was already in development and intended for each specific park in 2021 anyway. Keep in mind that everything can change at the drop of a hat, but so far Screamscape has heard rumors ranging from small Zamperla style family flat rides to a turbo-charged version of the S&S Screamin Swing, along with up to three possible new roller coasters. Given the typical development time needed for coasters, these were likely in the works for 2021 before the Pandemic struck. While they could be delayed as well, one is said to be from RMC (likely the rumored extended Jersey Devil layout planned for Six Flags Magic Mountain), another one said to be from S&S that was rumored to be a follow-up to last summer’s Maxx Force at Six Flags Great America, and another mystery coaster project from Premier Rides.
Stay tuned, all could be made clear in just three weeks.

I'll believe it when I see it

Why Would six Flags spend money to build a new ride when the park isn't making money?

At least at MM I doubt we will see anything for a while

Why Would six Flags spend money to build a new ride when the park isn't making money?

At least at MM I doubt we will see anything for a while

This could be more of a long term thing... I may be wrong, but isn't SFMM the only Six Flags park open 365? A few are year round on weekends only, but I believe the vast majority of Six Flags parks are seasonal. So theoretically, once the CA parks do finally open, they're set. It's a similar reason that Knott's is one of the biggest moneymakes for Cedar Fair... even though it's a small park, I think it's the only one in the chair open year round.

It's easy to forget that CA/Orlando are the exceptions, but basically every other theme park in the country has a very limited season and then close completely for months.

On another SFMM topic, a random user on another forum hinted that SFMM wasn't going to open in October, but I haven't heard any other confirmation one way or another, so take it with a grain of salt--but given how the other players in the haunt game called it quits, I won't be surprised if SFMM does too. I don't think it'll be for a lack of trying, but I can imagine overcoming all the state regulations is going to be formidable.

SFMM is also a perennial 3+million earner for the chain in a normal year, and next year is crucial. Given money constraints many people will have, Six Flags remains a cheaper option. So it would make sense to me to lure people to hold on to their membership if they announce a large coaster that's still cheaper than it looks.

Also, SFMM is a flagship park just as Cedar Point is. Any money the chain does earn this year can easily be funneled right to their flagship . And of course, it could all be cancelled or delayed as well at any time. So we just have to wait and see.

Found on Instagram. What a great shot of MM at night.

Wow, the wave of nostalgia rushing over me with this photo alone. What a gorgeous shot. Missing the heydays of Magic Mountain going with friends in my youth, and longing for the next big thing while also recognizing the park could be so much more.

This could be more of a long term thing... I may be wrong, but isn't SFMM the only Six Flags park open 365? A few are year round on weekends only, but I believe the vast majority of Six Flags parks are seasonal. So theoretically, once the CA parks do finally open, they're set. It's a similar reason that Knott's is one of the biggest moneymakes for Cedar Fair... even though it's a small park, I think it's the only one in the chair open year round.

It's easy to forget that CA/Orlando are the exceptions, but basically every other theme park in the country has a very limited season and then close completely for months.

On another SFMM topic, a random user on another forum hinted that SFMM wasn't going to open in October, but I haven't heard any other confirmation one way or another, so take it with a grain of salt--but given how the other players in the haunt game called it quits, I won't be surprised if SFMM does too. I don't think it'll be for a lack of trying, but I can imagine overcoming all the state regulations is going to be formidable.
Sure but they won't need another ride to draw people in...when people are paying for food events just to get into theme parks you don't need a new ride...I went on West Coast Racers twice before closing...so its still a new ride for most people.

If they do it good for them but it's a weird investment right now

Isn’t it also the 50th Anniversary? Part of me feels that’s also a significant reason for a major coaster.
Don't they have stock brokers? If i was there I'd be like why spend money when we can wait?

Once again we have a new ride, along with people just bored and sure just wanting to be back they should not start building until they are allowed 50% percent capacity since we have NO idea when this is going to be over even then its a risk because cases could spike and close them back down.

The difference for say Disney Finishing Marvel land or Universal with Nintendo land is they are close to being done

Six Flags will most likely fall back into their pre-bankruptcy pattern with parks. The "big four" which have the highest attendance and generate the most money (SFMM, SFGAdv, SFGAm, SFOT) will all get new stuff. The other parks int he chain will get hand me downs from those parks as they make room for new things. They were just starting to realize they were trying to give equal (`$7 million) in capex per park, but that has hurt the big parks and been wasted on the smaller ones. The company has a long history of doing this same thing every 10 years or so. Expect the big four to all get decent expenditures despite the economy while the others get nothing or next to nothing (except SFOG which they are required to invest in each year).

Don't they have stock brokers? If i was there I'd be like why spend money when we can wait?

Once again we have a new ride, along with people just bored and sure just wanting to be back they should not start building until they are allowed 50% percent capacity since we have NO idea when this is going to be over even then its a risk because cases could spike and close them back down.

The difference for say Disney Finishing Marvel land or Universal with Nintendo land is they are close to being done

This ride was likely in the works at the same time Jersey Devil was. The only options at this point rather than just build it, would be to send it to another park or delay it a year or so.

Also, apparently Neal Thurman is the latest casualty of Corona Virus, or promoted?, as I've heard he is no longer PP of SFMM, which for me is horrible news.

Last edited:
Neal has some conflicted history during his tenure at SFMM. Sad to see him go but from his position working with corporate must've been a nightmare. Park Journey is reporting he has left his position as well.