Six Flags to Buy Out SeaWorld? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Six Flags to Buy Out SeaWorld?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Forgive my ignorance but if Comcast were to buy out SeaWorld, wouldnt that take away from everything they're doing with Uni? I honestly would much rather have comcast buy them than anyone but wouldnt that take the money from Uni?

Im sure I know the answer but Im sick and my mind is shattered.

Forgive my ignorance but if Comcast were to buy out SeaWorld, wouldnt that take away from everything they're doing with Uni? I honestly would much rather have comcast buy them than anyone but wouldnt that take the money from Uni?

Im sure I know the answer but Im sick and my mind is shattered.
From what I understand, the money being spent is from Potter profits. So the answer is, no.

The real question is does Comcast have $4B in expendable income?

DEAR GOD PLEASE NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! On a serious note, if they do get bought out by Six Flags I will have one less annual pass I need to pay for.

Six Flags seems an odd fit, even tho technically they are an established "theme park company." Seemingly different target demographics, and as was mentioned, I've heard they weren't really in a position to be throwing around this cash. Two positives I can see for them: ready entry into two Florida markets and possibly an inside track on the Sesame Street characters. But while I guess I can see BG as a Six Flags park, I think there would be real pushback at SW.

Apollo is more interesting. A nice cross section of entertainment companies, I can see why they want to get in the theme park game.

From what I understand, the money being spent is from Potter profits. So the answer is, no.

The real question is does Comcast have $4B in expendable income?

Thanks for the clarification.

My bet would be no, but as of late Im coming to the conclusion to expect the unexpected.

I am guessing this whole six flags business is just a huge joke on someone behalf. They wouldn't/shouldn't after just coming out of bankruptcy and the current poor state of some of their parks :cough: Magic Mountain :cough: Plus the story seems dodgy with sources being someone familiar with the situation. It could just be some guy they found sitting on the side of the street. Even though they want to cover up a persons identity this leaves it at the broadest level.

I don't think Six Flags has the resources to make a $4B acquisition. Screamscape also mentioned Apollo Global Management, LLC as an interested party. They certainly do have the resources (managing $65B). They are very similar in nature to Blackstone, but their forte is leveraged buyouts and corporate restructuring. The bought Cedar Fair Entertainment Company in 2009, and in 2011 made a failed attempt to buy out Great Wolf Resorts. I am hoping that they fail at this attempt buy under bidding again.

Last edited:
I don't have time to get into an analysis of both Apollo and Six Flags buying SeaWorld at the moment (maybe later tonight after some college ball), but I will say this; you don't want Apollo or Six Flags, the best option being put out there is the IPO and just pray certain individuals do not manage to gain a majority controlling interest. Also, Apollo did not take over Cedar Fair in 2009, the shareholders (led by an interesting Texas private equity firm with some interesting backdoor ties) thankfully put a stop to that. Anyway, possibly more on this later.

I don't have time to get into an analysis of both Apollo and Six Flags buying SeaWorld at the moment (maybe later tonight after some college ball), but I will say this; you don't want Apollo or Six Flags, the best option being put out there is the IPO and just pray certain individuals do not manage to gain a majority controlling interest. Also, Apollo did not take over Cedar Fair in 2009, the shareholders (led by an interesting Texas private equity firm with some interesting backdoor ties) thankfully put a stop to that. Anyway, possibly more on this later.
Right, sorry I got my info crossed. Apollo dropped their bid in April 2010. Thanks for reminding me.

I dont want universal to pick this up. Just because I feel like It will overwhelm the system, and unfortunately some parks are going to suffer.

Overwhelm the system? I think Comcast would be the perfect people to run the busch parks and they have the resources to do it and all the infrastructure is in place for the most part...