Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 131 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I sort of agree that I think Kong should have been saved for Park 3. Kong seems SUPER tight, and I'm not a fan of how that effects JP sightlines. Walking through Jurassic Park, there's Hogwarts on one side and Skull Island on another. The thing that prevents this from being bad is the fact that FJ and (probably) Skull Island are some of the best attractions out there and are more or less worth it.

Reactions: Cheezbat
^ The lanterns have been there for a couple of weeks. I have already had a private rag session with someone over their colonial look. We finally decided (his idea) that they are intended to look like ship lanterns. Lame decision as there are a zillion wooden crates here and there in the queue suggesting an encampment. So why didn't they bring camp lanterns with them to light the place?

I'm usually not one to notice this sort of thing except that I'm a huge fan of colonial architecture and design and those lanterns stuck out like a sore thumb for me haha. Definitely not something you'd see in a base camp or on a ship at that time.

Reactions: universal_fanatic
I'm usually not one to notice this sort of thing except that I'm a huge fan of colonial architecture and design and those lanterns stuck out like a sore thumb for me haha. Definitely not something you'd see in a base camp or on a ship at that time.

Maybe they were left over form a previous expedition? A long lost sign of a doomed crew?

Use you imaginations, people! :tongue:

Ooooh, that canopy... be slightly aware of it during the attraction. Possibly brilliant. ;)

Are you alluding to what I believe was the idea of the canopy being torn open by bugs or bats that was mentioned way earlier in the thread? Could we see projections on the bottom of the canopy?

Or could we see the canopy get torn open during the 360 scene at the end to give us another angle to watch Kong brawl the V-Rexes around us?

Reactions: Mike S and Ryno27
Its a shame they could figure out an outdoor loading set up. While I'm sure there are tech issues with it the whole coming out of the wall to go back into the main gate is kinda ridiculous.

Do with what space you have i suppose....

OTPN has a lot of photos of Kong..and once again, holy crap.

Orlando Theme Park News: Reign of Kong Update: A Peek at the Lighting Package

I sort of agree that I think Kong should have been saved for Park 3. Kong seems SUPER tight, and I'm not a fan of how that effects JP sightlines. Walking through Jurassic Park, there's Hogwarts on one side and Skull Island on another. The thing that prevents this from being bad is the fact that FJ and (probably) Skull Island are some of the best attractions out there and are more or less worth it.

The thing is, Kong is doing its damndest to immerse you. And thats something great, considering that FJ did have some issues on Sightlines; but that can be for another arguement at another thread.

Kong has a element to Immersion that i haven't seen a theme park attraction be in a long while, and already; we are going to be in for a treat.

My original thought when I saw the canopy was that it would literally be split during the ride and would come back on between load and unload. Like it falls to the sides of the truck it still attached. Rotates if you will.

I would have loved that to happen with an additional screen above you in the 360 scene, so it would look like Kong had torn the canopy and was roaring at you from above the truck.

Reactions: Ryno27
The actual portal into the showbuilding is so small because if it was huge there would be an enormous air conditioning expense. That sounds like a joke, but I'm serious.

I'd be willing to bet there are a smaller set of show doors on the portal to prevent light leaks. Or perhaps a horizontal scrim that raises and lowers.

Bingo. Plus there could be smoke/fire effects in there that'll improve it. Plus really, I'm happy they're theming the whole wall, I could have seen them just theming part of it and calling it quits (like the mural up top!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be willing to bet there are a smaller set of show doors on the portal to prevent light leaks. Or perhaps a horizontal scrim that raises and lowers.

Behind the tall show doors are shorter doors that seal the building from light and sound. Many if not everyone here has already seen them. There aren't additional doors or curtains behind that, "I" can guarantee you. The black doors appear thick and probably insulated to a degree. They glide in from either side and have a 6-8" dual tongue overlap.

Behind the tall show doors are shorter doors that seal the building from light and sound. Many if not everyone here has already seen them. There aren't additional doors or curtains behind that, "I" can guarantee you.

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I did not mean there are a third set of doors. I was positing that there are a set of light/sound doors behind the tall doors. Thank you for pointing out they do indeed exist.

(The term Show Doors is typically used for any doors that separate light/sound from scene to scene in a dark ride, regardless if they are decorated or visible to riders)

Reactions: Ryno27
The actual portal into the showbuilding is so small because if it was huge there would be an enormous air conditioning expense.

I'm not buying this either. There are huge stores and shops with their doors propped wide open all day long at Universal not to mention the attractions. Do you have a good understanding of the air cooling systems used on these businesses? They aren't like whole home air conditioning systems at all.