Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 41 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
At this point I could honestly care less about show buildings being viewable from a guest perspective. Just give me a good ride.
I'm more for a great EXPERIENCE, which includes a very good ride and supreme theming. We know we are going to get that in the queue and exterior looks pretty good so far, but if they don't cover up the side, then that takes away from the overall EXPERIENCE.

Point being, it's honestly something very simple. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now since we are still a ways out, but it's just lazy to not theme that area if they decide not to.

At this point I could honestly care less about show buildings being viewable from a guest perspective. Just give me a good ride.
You're so right. Unless it's something like Diagon, chances are you can see something of a show building at nearly all parks, including Disney. Usually I don't even notice that stuff unless someone points it out on these boards. I would imagine the general public doesn't care much either. As you said," just give me a good ride" and as long as the buildings nicely themed it doesn't matter to me if I stand on my head at a 45 degree angle looking west into the sun that I can see a corner of unthemed show building. After all, these attractions are only part of a greater theme park that has other types of theming, lands and buildings throughout that you can see from many vantage points.. They're not a one of a kind attraction built in a cornfield all by itself.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
I'm more for a great EXPERIENCE, which includes a very good ride and supreme theming. We know we are going to get that in the queue and exterior looks pretty good so far, but if they don't cover up the side, then that takes away from the overall EXPERIENCE.

Point being, it's honestly something very simple. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now since we are still a ways out, but it's just lazy to not theme that area if they decide not to.
I mean, it's nice to have the sides covered up but at the end of the day I won't care when I'm on the ride. Discussing unthemed buildings is probably worse than discussing the s word :lol:

I mean, it's nice to have the sides covered up but at the end of the day I won't care when I'm on the ride. Discussing unthemed buildings is probably worse than discussing the s word :lol:
Yeah, a great ride is great, I get it, I said it. And yes, in the grand scheme of things (like life), the theming doesn't matter. However, in the theme park world? Theming is a big part of what people pay for when they come to a THEME park.

Reactions: rioriz and Clive
I agree that theming is important. A beautiful building,great queue and good pre show strongly augments an attraction. But it really doesn't matter to me if a section of the show building in the attraction's background is unthemed.

I agree that theming is important. A beautiful building,great queue and good pre show strongly augments an attraction. But it really doesn't matter to me if a section of the show building in the attraction's background is unthemed.

If it's super obvious as you're approaching the attraction, it does kind of matter. Facades are supposed to hide these things.

This is definitely not a big issue for me, but something that might help a bit is to match building colors to the theme. In this case, they can paint half of that side in that charcoal gray-ish from the stones, so it blends better. That Beige color they use can be sometimes way too obvious but again it's really unimportant to me.

It depends on the attraction, honestly. Think about Pirates of the Caribbean. The facade is only a building themed as a fort. You can clearly see that it's a regular building, but it doesn't take away from the attraction.

Reactions: Alicia
I imagine that the yellow backstage doors there will be re-themed somewhat as opening date nears closer. And with it new foreground foliage will be added and the pathway re-themed entering Skull Island. You may still see the side of the building from the Dudley queue through the trees, but otherwise it won't be any worse than seeing the brickwork ending on the side of It's a Small World in the Magic Kingdom if you're really looking for it.

chances are you can see something of a show building at nearly all parks, including Disney.

I've actually been thinking about this, and I'm trying to list Disney's exposed show buildings and I'm really having trouble. I'm sure they have their fair share, but it's been years since I've been to the parks. At first I thought Everest (from the parking lot), but even still they have that pueblo theming. It seems like you're more likely to see a themed building or show from another park than see an unthemed building (which they even account for, like Tower of Terror blending in to Epcot's Morocco skyline).

It depends on the attraction, honestly. Think about Pirates of the Caribbean. The facade is only a building themed as a fort. You can clearly see that it's a regular building, but it doesn't take away from the attraction.

Good point. I've always admired the way Disney can hide their show buildings, but I guess their secret is, when they can't hide it, they show that it's a building, but make it fit. Universal, lately, has been making facades that can't keep their industrial shape, like iconic castles and rock islands.

Back of buildings in the Magic Kingdom? Easy. You can see the back (the green painted) of Main Street from Town Square. Pirates, as said, is very lightly themed but is a box with a partial cannon fort. Small World. When in the que you can make out the brown show building for Splash Mountain. There are a few others but 99% of the people would never notice them being too awed by everything else. (I think that also applied to Forbidden Journey. People are generally so focused on Hogwarts they don't even notice the building).

As an outsider who hasn't participated a lot in it, I'll chime in and say I hate this thread. I come to look for updates and discussion and always run into a back and forth. I shan't be returning. Pity as I am genuinely interested in this and how the video scenes will differ from Hollywood. Shame. Have fun!

As an outsider who hasn't participated a lot in it, I'll chime in and say I hate this thread. I come to look for updates and discussion and always run into a back and forth. I shan't be returning. Pity as I am genuinely interested in this and how the video scenes will differ from Hollywood. Shame. Have fun!

Discussion: "a conversation or debate about a certain topic."

So what are you exactly looking for...?

Reactions: Nick
Discussion: "a conversation or debate about a certain topic."

So what are you exactly looking for...?

Actual discussion about the ride and not a back and forth about what can and can't be discussed about the ride or about whether or not branching off into discussions about the overall nature of the parks fits into the discussion. It's a snake eating it's own tail and seeing pages and pages of it definitely has led me to completely write off this thread. Adieu! :wave:

Actual discussion about the ride and not a back and forth about what can and can't be discussed about the ride or about whether or not branching off into discussions about the overall nature of the parks fits into the discussion. It's a snake eating it's own tail and seeing pages and pages of it definitely has led me to completely written off this thread. Adieu! :wave:

And that's only happened because someone tried to derail a discussion talk about the facade of the attraction this thread is about. So, maybe put the blame in the right place.

And that's only happened because someone tried to derail a discussion talk about the facade of the attraction this thread is about. So, maybe put the blame in the right place.

I don't believe I put the blame on anyone? I said I was sick of reading the back and forth. That implies both sides. You're mighty touchy.

Anyways....to be honest, I just don't want Jurassic park intruding into "Kong land" and vice versa. Like I don't wanna hear the theme song for Jurassic Park while entering or being around the ride entrance. Kinda kills the vibe

Reactions: Cheezbat