Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 540 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So this is the business model we live when. Virtually every business releases their products early knowing there are kinks in them. Why do you never by the first year model of a new car? Why do we have to download a thousand patches when a new operating system or software package is released? Universal technically did not deceive anyone. It has been operational since all the new marketing has come out. Its not open all the time, but its is technically open.

So this is the business model we live when. Virtually every business releases their products early knowing there are kinks in them. Why do you never by the first year model of a new car? Why do we have to download a thousand patches when a new operating system or software package is released? Universal technically did not deceive anyone. It has been operational since all the new marketing has come out. Its not open all the time, but its is technically open.

You're wearing some pretty rosey glasses there. From Disneyland to Words Fair to Epcot to now ride systems were being fixed and adjusted once they started stress testing them with guests. This isn't new and it won't be the last time there are issues.

You're wearing some pretty rosey glasses there. From Disneyland to Words Fair to Epcot to now ride systems were being fixed and adjusted once they started stress testing them with guests. This isn't new and it won't be the last time there are issues.

Rosey? Not so much. This model has been used in many industries over the years, my point was its more prolific now with more pressure on quarterly results vs long term strategies. Look at how people have been coming to IOA just for the chance to ride Kong. That means a better 2Q results for Uni, although it may piss some people off long term because they thought it would be fully operational based on the Marketing. I personally prefer this model for theme parks (not so much for other products) because it at least gives you a chance to experience the ride early. Especially for those that dont live in Orlando and only get back there occasionally.

I was lucky and got to do a soft for transformers before we were leaving Orlando one year. Loved that they were doing this, as we were gone by the official opening.

Rosey? Not so much. This model has been used in many industries over the years, my point was its more prolific now with more pressure on quarterly results vs long term strategies. Look at how people have been coming to IOA just for the chance to ride Kong. That means a better 2Q results for Uni, although it may piss some people off long term because they thought it would be fully operational based on the Marketing. I personally prefer this model for theme parks (not so much for other products) because it at least gives you a chance to experience the ride early. Especially for those that dont live in Orlando and only get back there occasionally.

I was lucky and got to do a soft for transformers before we were leaving Orlando one year. Loved that they were doing this, as we were gone by the official opening.

Softs are one thing. I don't think anyone has issues with softs and how they are run. But companies don't market the ride during softs. Universal is actively marketing a ride that is still in softs. That is the part that bugs me. And just because it opened every day at 4 PM and is open for 3 to 5 hours after that point doesn't mean it is open or that everyone that wants to ride it based on marketing will get to ride it. People start at a point in the park and finish in another part. If they start in IOA and make the circle there is a good chance Kong will not be open when they get to Kong. So they either have to trek back later and hope it is open or skip it all together. Now I get rides break down and this could technically happen with any ride, but Kong is consistently not open in the morning/early afternoon.

And before we get into the comparisons of Frozen, we all blasted Disney for opening it too early, not doing softs, and not being able to keep the thing running throughout the day. Which ironically lately they have been keeping Frozen running pretty well. So we should also blast Universal for the decision to do Marketing before having the ride out of softs.

Sorry if I missed this in an earlier post. In the scene where you see Kong up close, are you supposed to take off the glasses? And if so, how do they weave that into the storyline?

Softs are one thing. I don't think anyone has issues with softs and how they are run. But companies don't market the ride during softs. Universal is actively marketing a ride that is still in softs. That is the part that bugs me. And just because it opened every day at 4 PM and is open for 3 to 5 hours after that point doesn't mean it is open or that everyone that wants to ride it based on marketing will get to ride it. People start at a point in the park and finish in another part. If they start in IOA and make the circle there is a good chance Kong will not be open when they get to Kong. So they either have to trek back later and hope it is open or skip it all together. Now I get rides break down and this could technically happen with any ride, but Kong is consistently not open in the morning/early afternoon.

And before we get into the comparisons of Frozen, we all blasted Disney for opening it too early, not doing softs, and not being able to keep the thing running throughout the day. Which ironically lately they have been keeping Frozen running pretty well. So we should also blast Universal for the decision to do Marketing before having the ride out of softs.
No, we shouldn't. The Pulse shooting is an extraordinary circumstance. All the marketing stuff went out over a month ago with display dates to every grocery store in Florida, and every TV and radio station. Changing all the marketing for a 2 week delay while the ride is actually running in the park makes no sense.

No, we shouldn't. The Pulse shooting is an extraordinary circumstance. All the marketing stuff went out over a month ago with display dates to every grocery store in Florida, and every TV and radio station. Changing all the marketing for a 2 week delay while the ride is actually running in the park makes no sense.
So did the Pulse incident cause them to officially announce things for the ride? I know the media preview was cancelled, so was there a grand opening sheduled?

I get delaying the opening because of Pulse. Totally understand that circumstance.
I agree with not doing the grand opening and all that stuff.

What I don't agree with is not opening the ride at opening now that advertising is out. That has nothing to do with what happened at Pulse.

If Pulse never happened, what would have happened at Universal? They have a Grand opening on the 23rd and then open at park opening, right? So why not just have it open at park opening without the Grand Opening.

Mike S. down for July 6th Kong opening......(Heh, that was my wedding anniversary. And that didn't turn out too great :lol:)......... Hope you have better luck with that date, Mike. :thumbsup:
Edit; I fixed that. Mike S. down for July 13th.....Just a oversight technical mistake.:doh: That's how bad having a wedding anniversary on July 13th is. :lol:

Last edited:
I get delaying the opening because of Pulse. Totally understand that circumstance.
I agree with not doing the grand opening and all that stuff.

What I don't agree with is not opening the ride at opening now that advertising is out. That has nothing to do with what happened at Pulse.

If Pulse never happened, what would have happened at Universal? They have a Grand opening on the 23rd and then open at park opening, right? So why not just have it open at park opening without the Grand Opening.

Because now they aren't obligated to since the ride isn't fully open yet. Yes, it's an excuse but it's better than "open ride, shut down and evac queue due to tech issues" which they want to avoid as much as possible. Until the ride is officially open, there is no management breathing down their necks. It's taking advantage of the horrible situation that occurred, but it's better viewed as turning lemons into lemonade than "a sickening advantage".

I'm sure UC is not happy Pulse happened to allow them to do this.

Reactions: Mike S and Mad Dog