Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

It's really nothing new on this attraction. Since I really love the ride and I've rode it many dozens of times, I've made it a habit to talk to the ride ops. From my conversations with them, they've adjusted the the number of trucks running, according to the crowd, ever since the attraction opened. I've been told that if it's slow, especially in the morning, they'll only run two trucks. If they only run two trucks, regardless of the weather, they will not use the outside portion. That's why you'll often see the ride only running indoors, even if the weather isn't lightening/raining. When it gets busier they'll run three or four trucks to adjust for the crowd. They have five trucks, but can only run four maximum at a time. Even if they've decided not to run the fourth truck in the near future, it shouldn't make all that much of a difference, especially since there's only about ten days left until the crowds start to drop. Looking at today's posted times, when the weather was OK, line times really didn't change noticeably..... Four trucks running is better than three for sure, but I don't think they can run four trucks anyway when it's just indoors because of the weather, since it's a shorter ride. .

Last edited:
It seems like a big deal, but it really depends on how you look at it. More people in the queue means fewer people in other queues. If we're talking a difference of a 30 min wait (which it usually is) then it's a non-problem, IMO. Why have 4 cars running at 30-45 min wait when you can have 3 cars running for 60-75?
Guest satisfaction?

They definitely could use more people in the F&F queue, to keep the crowd there in that huge queue. Maybe just run one tram for that ride. ;):lol:
They should turn the queue into a ECV racetrack.

carowinds16.jpg

The only reason Kong ever has less than 4 trucks is due to maintenance. Saying they reduce their capacity to hold more people from doing other things is ridiculous, and actually causes them to lose money. These trucks get a lot of wear and tear because of their design, and constantly need to be removed from the track for repair.

Just about everything concerning F&F is a fiasco. It's a theme park blueprint of what not to build.
This is so accurate. Basically every single terrible decision one could make when developing a ride was brought to life into a living, breathing, abomination of theme park design. You know how even great attractions like Gringotts have one or two flaws that people bring up as a reason it isn't perfect? F&F is entirely a collection of those flaws.
  • Too much stopping and going (check!)
  • Screen dependent with bad visuals (check!)
  • Flawed vehicle design (check!)
  • Bad sight lines (check!)
  • Poor pacing (check!)
  • Bad dialogue (check!)
  • Unnecessary pre-shows (check!)
  • Too short (check!)
  • Bad queue management (check!)
  • Improper and wasteful use of an incredibly valuable IP (check!)
  • No ending (check!)
Meanwhile Kong has the same ride system and one or two of the above flaws but it still manages to be one of my favorite attractions in the park.

This is so accurate. Basically every single terrible decision one could make when developing a ride was brought to life into a living, breathing, abomination of theme park design. You know how even great attractions like Gringotts have one or two flaws that people bring up as a reason it isn't perfect? F&F is entirely a collection of those flaws.
  • Too much stopping and going (check!)
  • Screen dependent with bad visuals (check!)
  • Flawed vehicle design (check!)
  • Bad sight lines (check!)
  • Poor pacing (check!)
  • Bad dialogue (check!)
  • Unnecessary pre-shows (check!)
  • Too short (check!)
  • Bad queue management (check!)
  • Improper and wasteful use of an incredibly valuable IP (check!)
  • No ending (check!)
Meanwhile Kong has the same ride system and one or two of the above flaws but it still manages to be one of my favorite attractions in the park.
Exactly man, this and Jimmy Fallon are the worst theme park attractions I’ve ever been on.

I really don't get the hate that Fallon gets. It's a solid D Ticket attraction. I, personally, would chose it any day over Na'vi River Journey. Sara with no H because Hs are "Ew" always cracks up my daughters (22,17). I love the Ragtime Gals in the preshow. And the 30 Rock theming is spot on inside and out. So...:shrug:

Yea, Fallon is fine. Nothing spectacular, but far from terrible

I really don't get the hate that Fallon gets. It's a solid D Ticket attraction. I, personally, would chose it any day over Na'vi River Journey. Sara with no H because Hs are "Ew" always cracks up my daughters (22,17). I love the Ragtime Gals in the preshow. And the 30 Rock theming is spot on inside and out. So...:shrug:
I like it quite a bit since the entire experience is entertaining. Of course,, it's clear it's not a E ticket and is a filler attraction to fit in a smallish space. After two vacations since it's opened, it's jumped to the top of my GF's favorite attraction at Universal, both parks. I can't keep her off it. Every time we're in the vicinity she wants to go and ride plus see the Ragtime Gals, Hashtag, and hilarious queue videos..... But she does actually hate F&F.

Last edited:
Another thing about Fallon... haven't experienced it, but looks solid (as a D ticket) and love how it improved the New York area. Also, I think it'll only continue to get viewed more positively as the older 3D attractions around it are replaced.

Edit: Sorry, Joe. I guess I had this page open too long before posting and didn't see your back to topic post... Moving along!

So... I rode this attraction for the first time today. I had obviously read detailed descriptions, but I had avoided ride videos.

Overall, I think it's a great addition to the park. The meat of the ride (the 360 tunnel) was just okay, but everything on either side of it was fantastic. Loved the queue (the scareactor got me!), loved the first scene and the reveal of the wall and the gates, and I was floored by the Kong AA; you can really tell that last scene was kind of Universal's way of saying to some of the older fans, "We know you miss Kongfrontation, so we're going to give you a little something special at the end here," and it was wonderful. Kong may be the best AA I've ever seen, and I was very impressed with the complete experience of the ride.

So... I rode this attraction for the first time today. I had obviously read detailed descriptions, but I had avoided ride videos.

Overall, I think it's a great addition to the park. The meat of the ride (the 360 tunnel) was just okay, but everything on either side of it was fantastic. Loved the queue (the scareactor got me!), loved the first scene and the reveal of the wall and the gates, and I was floored by the Kong AA; you can really tell that last scene was kind of Universal's way of saying to some of the older fans, "We know you miss Kongfrontation, so we're going to give you a little something special at the end here," and it was wonderful. Kong may be the best AA I've ever seen, and I was very impressed with the complete experience of the ride.

Glad you like it! I absolutely love it, and considering the two of us rarely come close to agreeing, I’m glad you like it haha