Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 674 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I rode w/o the 3D on 5/13. The last time I had ridden it prior was in 2017 when every single effect was working, so this was a disappointing experience. I don't think new guests would notice any thing is off but to those in the know...the current state of the attraction is a real let-down. First off: THEY KILLED THE WORM IN THE QUEUE???!!!! WHY AM I THE ONLY ONE TALKING ABOUT THIS???!!!! I don't have any real issue with the scareactors being removed, but it was still a cool touch when it was there. The outdoor scene definitely needs to return as it adds a real sense of anticipation and kinetic movement for those waiting outside and starts the attraction off with a true WOW moment. As for the attraction itself, it still works, but the 3D is desperately needed to sell some of the neat effects throughout (I also noticed the shadow effect on top was non-functional). The bat room works fine w/o the 3-D, but the bug room and the 360 scene just aren't effective without 3-D. I guess all we can do is continue to complain as loudly as we can until Universal gives in. I didn't hate my experience with the ride, but in the current state, I don't know if I'd be eager to jump back in line any time soon (whereas before it was always a must-do. At least the kick-a$$ Witch pre-show still works and the ride jeep is still impressive as hell).

I rode w/o the 3D on 5/13. The last time I had ridden it prior was in 2017 when every single effect was working, so this was a disappointing experience. I don't think new guests would notice any thing is off but to those in the know...the current state of the attraction is a real let-down. First off: THEY KILLED THE WORM IN THE QUEUE???!!!! WHY AM I THE ONLY ONE TALKING ABOUT THIS???!!!! I don't have any real issue with the scareactors being removed, but it was still a cool touch when it was there. The outdoor scene definitely needs to return as it adds a real sense of anticipation and kinetic movement for those waiting outside and starts the attraction off with a true WOW moment. As for the attraction itself, it still works, but the 3D is desperately needed to sell some of the neat effects throughout (I also noticed the shadow effect on top was non-functional). The bat room works fine w/o the 3-D, but the bug room and the 360 scene just aren't effective without 3-D. I guess all we can do is continue to complain as loudly as we can until Universal gives in. I didn't hate my experience with the ride, but in the current state, I don't know if I'd be eager to jump back in line any time soon (whereas before it was always a must-do. At least the kick-a$$ Witch pre-show still works and the ride jeep is still impressive as hell).

The worm is still there, but sometimes the queue bypasses it if it’s short. I’m with you on the rest of your criticisms, though!

wow that sounds rough, sounds disappointing.

Reactions: Cwoolboy
Still no outdoor portion as of today…

Also rode for the first time with no 3-D. It really wasn’t that bad. The binaural audio and water effects still make the screen portions effective. I also had never seen the Kong figure without glasses on and it’s a lot cooler without them; I never noticed that there are leaves and bits of dirt embedded in his fur to build some continuity from the previous scene which I thought was a pretty cool detail.

The worst part is really how much less limited your field of view is without the glasses on. The 360 room becomes the least effective screen scene because it’s the section of the ride where it’s most obvious where you’re just in a big black warehouse. If they could just clean up the screen edges and extend some theming in some places, the lack of glasses wouldn’t be as big of a deal.

I think a lot of people really wanted to like this ride when it opened, which is fine. But it’s just not that good…taking away the 3-D turned it from a C+ to a C. It’s fine.

Also rode for the first time with no 3-D. It really wasn’t that bad. The binaural audio and water effects still make the screen portions effective. I also had never seen the Kong figure without glasses on and it’s a lot cooler without them; I never noticed that there are leaves and bits of dirt embedded in his fur to build some continuity from the previous scene which I thought was a pretty cool detail.

The worst part is really how much less limited your field of view is without the glasses on. The 360 room becomes the least effective screen scene because it’s the section of the ride where it’s most obvious where you’re just in a big black warehouse. If they could just clean up the screen edges and extend some theming in some places, the lack of glasses wouldn’t be as big of a deal.

I think a lot of people really wanted to like this ride when it opened, which is fine. But it’s just not that good…taking away the 3-D turned it from a C+ to a C. It’s fine.
Rookie move not taking off your glasses previous runs and admiring Kong…

Rookie move not taking off your glasses previous runs and admiring Kong…
I was thinking the same lol :lol:
I always did that

Last edited: