Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 675 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Howdy yall, im actually here at Universal as I type this. Been on Kong five times already. The biggest change i’ve noticed today is that they brought back row 1 for the first time in YEARS. Instead of running 66 people the trucks can now carry the maximum amount it was designed to at 72. Wonder why it took so long for them to bring that row back and why it wasn’t used in the first place

Howdy yall, im actually here at Universal as I type this. Been on Kong five times already. The biggest change i’ve noticed today is that they brought back row 1 for the first time in YEARS. Instead of running 66 people the trucks can now carry the maximum amount it was designed to at 72. Wonder why it took so long for them to bring that row back and why it wasn’t used in the first place
Poor viewing from the first row. I'd argue that shouldn't come back at all, but they've been running reduced vehicles at times throughout the day so it might be a way for them to increase capacity.

Poor viewing from the first row. I'd argue that shouldn't come back at all, but they've been running reduced vehicles at times throughout the day so it might be a way for them to increase capacity.
That and they may not think it's as poor of an experience with the 3D removed. I saw them filling that row about a month ago and assumed that was the reason.

That and they may not think it's as poor of an experience with the 3D removed. I saw them filling that row about a month ago and assumed that was the reason.
ironically I always prefer the first row on fast and furious since I can see what's happening in the front ( front projection)

does Kong have anything happening in the front ? is there any front projection? never looked

Reactions: TylerG
Evening everyone. I just got out of Uni, rode Kong 13 times today, (no that’s not a typo), all the effects were working for the most part, except for one of the animatronic bats which was sleeping. Water, air, motion bases all did great, and as stated earlier, row one is now open! i got the chance to sit row one twice and for viewing purposes it’s not great, but watching the drivers it was pretty great. for the first time in a long time i got to see the exterior facade at night which i have to say, still stunning especially with the fire

Evening everyone. I just got out of Uni, rode Kong 13 times today, (no that’s not a typo), all the effects were working for the most part, except for one of the animatronic bats which was sleeping. Water, air, motion bases all did great, and as stated earlier, row one is now open! i got the chance to sit row one twice and for viewing purposes it’s not great, but watching the drivers it was pretty great. for the first time in a long time i got to see the exterior facade at night which i have to say, still stunning especially with the fire
dang.......now I do wanna see the driver ..... I'm not even joking.

Reactions: Alicia
But without the outdoor section acting as their extended introductions, we don't even really get to know them anymore!

You actually only lose about 2 lines of dialogue. One is a random fact about either them or the island - and the other is about the locals as you approach the gates. They were purposefully left as surface-level characters needing minimal intro to help between A & B mode.

A-Mode with Becky includes "Remember, everything on this island wants to kill you!", "The locals ain't none too friendly in these parts. Looks like things are heatin' up."

B-Mode with Becky removes those lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: belloq87
You actually only lose about 2 lines of dialogue. One is a random fact about either them or the island - and the other is about the locals as you approach the gates. They were purposefully left as surface-level characters needing minimal intro to help between A & B mode.

A-Mode with Becky includes "Remember, everything on this island wants to kill you!", "The locals ain't none too friendly in these parts. Looks like things are heatin' up."

B-Mode with Becky removes those lines.
You forgot “Name’s Becky, West Texas born and raised” or something along those lines. She’s great lol

Sorry if this has already been clarified, but is eliminating the outside portion of the ride a cost-saving measure in addition to the 3D glasses? Or is taking out the 3D glasses the cost-saving measure and skipping the outside track something else maintenance related?

Sorry if this has already been clarified, but is eliminating the outside portion of the ride a cost-saving measure in addition to the 3D glasses? Or is taking out the 3D glasses the cost-saving measure and skipping the outside track something else maintenance related?
It would appear the glasses are a pure "cost-saving" measure.

The exterior involves a legitimate issue that requires work to fix. They are deferring that work to a hypothetical future time (either because they don't want the ride to close, or because they don't want to spend the money to fix the issue at this time).

It would appear the glasses are a pure "cost-saving" measure.

Just to add a bit more context: It also comes off the common complaints of over usage of 3D/screens. Sort of a "Two Birds, One Stone" situation.

Overcorrection? Probably. It definitely doesn't help the ride.

Don't remember what page it's on, but someone mentioned the likely issue with the outside portion... the ride vehicles are modified versions of automated shipping container movers (example of one below). Those are designed to run on perfectly flat concrete surfaces, so when they run over the bumpy terrain outside of Kong the vehicle isn't really designed for the twisting/uneven (don't know the right word for it) forces that go through the drivetrain or suspension. Think of it like riding a road bike off road... it'll still roll but you're way more likely to pick up a flat or break a fork than on a mountain bike that is designed to do that.

Not first hand info but that's what I seem to remember reading here and it makes decent sense.

agvbanner2_0.png

Edit: found it

Ok, maybe we should recap what the actual problem is.

It's not the doors!

The problem is the chassis the RV are built on was originally designed to be used in the unloading of container ships. Since they were designed to carry heavy loads on a flat concrete surface, they don't have a suspension system (leaf springs, shock absorbers). But Kong, mostly on the outside and particularly the stairs at the doors entering the temple has a lot of bumps and stuff. That is causing torque on the chassis that it wasn't designed for. They have to redesign the road to where it doesn't torque the chassis.

(What does torque the chassis mean? Having, say, the front left tire high and the front right tire low while the back left tire is low while the back right tire is high. Twisting the chassis.)