Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Solo: A Star Wars Story

It doesn't need to be a "blockbuster". The budget was fairly low.

To your point about teens though, that's why they brought on Lin. He appeals mainly to 15-25 year olds, roughly. And Mary Poppins is a movie that specifically appealed to kids to begin with. Not sure why you'd think this would be different. Parents will be looking for something to see at the movies over the holidays with their kids and that will be it.

Ehh, its a stacked weekend before Xmas day. You have Bumblebee, Aquaman, and James Cameron Alita: Battle Angel all coming out right before Mary Poppins which gets it a Xmas day release. The alternative programming instead of Poppins is quite stacked.

I think Disney wants it to have long legs though.

Ehh, its a stacked weekend before Xmas day. You have Bumblebee, Aquaman, and James Cameron Alita: Battle Angel all coming out right before Mary Poppins which gets it a Xmas day release. The alternative programming instead of Poppins is quite stacked.

I think Disney wants it to have long legs though.
None of those movies draw the same demo that Poppins does though.

I expect Bumblebee to bomb. Alita will probably be respectable... i'm interested in it, but Cameron is probably hoping for those long legs like his other December releases have had. Aquaman is the movie with the most on the line as people are already skeptical and untrusting of the DCEU.

None of those movies draw the same demo that Poppins does though.

I expect Bumblebee to bomb. Alita will probably be respectable... i'm interested in it, but Cameron is probably hoping for those long legs like his other December releases have had. Aquaman is the movie with the most on the line as people are already skeptical and untrusting of the DCEU.

Yeah, but wasn't that my original point? Poppins and Solo aren't really the same demo. Solo would have just as much competition from Bumblebee, Alita, and Aquaman.

Persoanlly I think all of those will perform below expectations.

The movie would have done better in December probably, but I'm not sure it would have done that much better.

The second weekend is going to come in below $30 million in the US for decline near 70% for the 3-day. That's a much bigger problem than release date or buzz or anything else.

The problem is that after Rogue One and TFA/TLJ, people are saying: Why do we need to see anthology movies for characters whose arcs are completely finished in the main saga? That's why I think Disney needs to completely shift everything post-SW9.

Put anthology films on a streaming service and bring their budgets down to $100 million per movie. Make sure the theatrical movies tie together into a major storyline.

They'll lose money on Solo, but given the rest of Disney's 2018 schedule, it doesn't matter if they book a loss of $150 million on Solo when the rest of their slate will produce a net profit over $1.5 billion.

It was just a passing statement.
Even so, I find it interesting (and curious) that Disney seems to be making a point to make Batuu and everything about it canon. It being in the books was one thing, but now, even if an Easter egg, it does make it film canon.

That does make me wonder if they ever would go to Batuu for real in film.

Even so, I find it interesting (and curious) that Disney seems to be making a point to make Batuu and everything about it canon. It being in the books was one thing, but now, even if an Easter egg, it does make it film canon.

That does make me wonder if they ever would go to Batuu for real in film.

If its organic sure, but I can see them shoehorning it into a film which is annoying.

Just saw the movie. It's a fun watch, but overall I’m not sure how I feel. I thought it was a decent origin story for Han’s character, but Lando was painfully under-untilized. As mentioned above, the score was garbage, too. Easily the worst of any SW movie.

Overall I enjoyed it, though. I think the most important thing is that I was fully able to buy Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo.

I like the Cinemark at Artegon, but if you go at the wrong time, it fills with tourists due to it’s proximity to the Outlets and Millenia. Had some foreigners near us with a crying kid and using their cell phone flashlight frequently during the movie.

About that cameo...
The cameo at the end really felt pointless to me as it was just that - a cameo. It left me wondering on the timeline of things more than anything and also blatantly like a set up for a Darth Maul Anthology Film

Wait... what is the wrong time to go?

if only the last jedi had was better written... what a crazy domino effect. one single movie ruined this entire franchise for the time being.
Rian Johnson single handedly made this happened lol

if only the last jedi had was better written... what a crazy domino effect. one single movie ruined this entire franchise for the time being.
Rian Johnson single handedly made this happened lol
Don’t forget as of now, Rian’s trilogy is still safe. I also don’t think this is bad for the SW franchise, but healthy. SW was never meant to be a yearly franchise.

Don’t forget as of now, Rian’s trilogy is still safe. I also don’t think this is bad for the SW franchise, but healthy. SW was never meant to be a yearly franchise.

Agreed. And if Kennedy really does step down later this summer, I'll be doing backflips.

Solo was not a bad film. It was badly managed, marketed even worse, and never should have cost so much. They overstepped the appeal of Star Wars. You're right, there's not enough meat on the bone for yearly installments. And when you do go really niche or deep cut like Solo, you have to make it for a budget that makes sense.

I think pretty much almost everyone wanted that Obi Wan Kenobi movie with Ewan McGregor. Ask any fan online and people would be either really excited or at least curious and optimistic. I cannot believe that Solo killed the chance to have a great movie with a great actor that everybody wanted.

That was the movie people were hoping for, that was the movie that could have made the regular moviegoers want to check out.... Ewan is the actor everyone loves from the prequels. he was The best thing of the prequels. This is such a mess. no one was asking for Solo, I dont know what they were thinking.

I am not sure that Rian's trilogy will see the light of day, they might say the movies are still going to happen but I dont think people will go see them. the Last Jedi was extremely polarizing and controversial. his Decisions in the movie have caused a lot of drama,

SW will certainly now not be a comparable Marvel movie franchise. I think that's what Disney hoped for, but Marvel is a different animal.

Yeah.

Star Wars, was never built to be a Shared Universe. And I am glad that they are going away from anthology films, and now focusing on trilogies more or less.

So going forward after IX, we have Rian's trilogy in development, and the Benioff/Weiss trilogies to look forward too. And, the L.A. Star Wars show and Animated projects for stories of that kind of caliber.