Solo: A Star Wars Story | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Solo: A Star Wars Story

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
More of the behind the scenes story came out....They did get Alden an acting coach because he wasn't hitting up to par...but he didn't snitch on Lord and Miller and he enjoyed working with them.

Of Lord and Miller, Ehrenreich says, “They had a different style than Ron in terms of the way we were working.” He’s not sure what their Solo would have been like. He liked the script. He liked them as directors. He can’t say whether they were really taking an Apatovian riffs-over-script approach. “From the first screen test on, we played around with it a lot. We tried a lot of different things, rethinking behind the scenes,” he says. “That was yielding a different movie than the other factions wanted. I knew what I was doing, but in terms of what that adds up to, you’re so in the dark as an actor. You don’t know what it’s shaping up to be, how they’re editing it, so it’s kind of impossible without having seen those things to know what the difference [of opinion] was, or exactly what created those differences.”

On any movie set, Ehrenreich says, regarding whatever arguments were going on between the directors and Lucasfilm, “the actors are at the kids’ table, unless you’re also a producer of the movie. So you’re really kept out of all the backroom dynamics of what was going on.”

He wasn’t told that Lord and Miller were being replaced until it happened, he says. The directors themselves told him almost immediately. “They said, ‘We were let go,’ and that’s it. They had mentioned there were some disagreements before, but they didn’t get into it. They wished me the best with the rest of the movie. On a personal level, it felt emotional, for them to be going after we’d set out on that course together. Because I spent a lot of time with them, and we had a really good relationship—they also cast me. But I think at that point, they were kind of on board with [the decision], too. Like, ‘This is what’s happening.’ That’s not what they said to me, but that was the vibe I got.”

Ehrenreich says the fan-press rumor that it was he who approached Kennedy with concerns about Lord and Miller is “not at all” true, that he couldn’t imagine ever making a call like that “unless people were being put in danger or something.”

He also insists that the story about Lucasfilm forcing Lord and Miller to bring in an acting coach—later identified as writer- director Maggie Kiley—to work on his performance has been mischaracterized: “She was part of conversations that happened for a couple weeks at one point,” Ehrenreich says, “but that was basically it.” (Lord and Miller say that Kiley is someone they’d worked with on previous films and that they brought her on Solo as a resource for the entire cast as well as themselves.) As for the various stories about the Solo crew breaking into spontaneous applause upon hearing of Howard’s appointment or (depending on which account you read) Lord and Miller’s firing?

“That’s bullshit,” Ehrenreich says. “For a crew to do that would mean they hated [Lord and Miller], which was not by any stretch the case.”

The production went dark for almost three weeks between Lord and Miller’s sacking and Howard’s arrival. “It was this period of going, What if they get somebody that you don’t get along with? What if they get somebody that has a totally different vision?” Ehrenreich admits. But he adds that Howard won over the cast and crew quickly.

Alden Ehrenreich Talks Star Wars Han Solo Role and Working with Ron Howard

67 Metacritic Score
73% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

Rotten Tomatoes' Consensus: "A flawed yet fun and fast-paced space adventure, Solo: A Star Wars Story should satisfy newcomers to the saga as well as longtime fans who check their expectations at the theater door."

I saw the movie last night. For what it is, it’s pretty decent. However in the broader scope of the Star Wars Universe, some fans may find it a bit underwhelming.

I won’t spoil it, but for me the story wasn’t particularly interesting. It felt very predictable and safe. I really don’t have any desire to see it again, but I wouldn’t recommend against seeing it either.

Reactions: Coasted
I saw the movie last night. For what it is, it’s pretty decent. However in the broader scope of the Star Wars Universe, some fans may find it a bit underwhelming.

I won’t spoil it, but for me the story wasn’t particularly interesting. It felt very predictable and safe. I really don’t have any desire to see it again, but I wouldn’t recommend against seeing it either.
I almost don’t even feel like there’s much to spoil here considering we know Han wins the Falcon from Lando, Chewie lives on to become Han’s co-pilot and Lando ends up at Cloud City.

I haven’t seen the movie either. I just know that this one is simply filling in uninteresting blanks imo.

Rogue One was a much more interesting anthology film choice and honestly one of my favorite Star Wars films in general.

I almost don’t even feel like there’s much to spoil here considering we know Han wins the Falcon from Lando, Chewie lives on to become Han’s co-pilot and Lando ends up at Cloud City.

I haven’t seen the movie either. I just know that this one is simply filling in uninteresting blanks imo.

Rogue One was a much more interesting anthology film choice and honestly one of my favorite Star Wars films in general.

Rogue One, unlike Solo excited me as it was a story that made sense to be mined for a form of entertainment. It's interesting to see that kind of story, to where they are in reality, some of the more influential player's in the early stages of the Rebellion (similar to Ezra and his team from Rebels).

Solo, has me more on the lower end of feelings, because I think we didn't need a Han film, and to be honest, there were other areas of that portion of time that could've been done. Case in point, Boba Fett (which I am amped that James Mangold is possibly apart of that project) or even Obi-Wan or Lando.

Reactions: Dhdhddh and Coasted

There is a little more to that, especially in the last twenty minutes where they have a particular cameo which definitely is a spoiler. Thing is, while most of the film is fine and fun...the ending is god awful.

I won't spoil the cameo, but it's going to be really confusing to anyone who hasn't seen some of the tv series. But even if you have, having this cameo throws some major wrenches into what was established with Solo in the original trilogy. It's just plain bad no matter how you slice it.

I had low expectations , and came out whelmed. There was stuff I liked, and stuff I didn’t, and stuff that made me say ...??? Really?

But overall , it was still a fun movie . Of course I’ve liked all the Disney Star Wars so far. I’d put this a step above Rouge One, because I liked the characters more, but rogue one probably had a better plot overall.

It wasn’t a complete train wreck, therefor it’s still a success .

I think the problem is the current leadership over at Lucasfilm hasn't yet realized how to make each movie a "must-see" in the scope of a bigger arc.

TFA had 3 decades of nostalgia and expectations built into it..., after that, it seems like they're still figuring out how make these movies into legitimate events. TLJ had the expectation of seeing Luke in action, but what else can they offer that would appeal to the general public or tangential Star Wars fans.

They're trying to Marvel-ize Star Wars and make it into a "must see every year event", but it just isn't that yet. Star Wars is much more like a traditional movie franchise which is best paced around 2-3 years apart to prevent fatigue.

And I say all of this as someone who enjoyed TFA, Rogue One, and TLJ. It's just hard for me to see why I'd want more backstories or why I'd be interested in the next generation of characters post-SW9.

Last edited:
I think the problem is the current leadership over at Lucasfilm hasn't yet realized how to make each movie a "must-see" in the scope of a bigger arc.

TFA had 3 decades of nostalgia and expectations built into it..., after that, it seems like they're still figuring out how make these movies into legitimate events. TLJ had the expectation of seeing Luke in action, but what else can they offer that would appeal to the general public or tangential Star Wars fans.

They're trying to Marvel-ize Star Wars and make it into a "must see every year event", but it just isn't that yet. Star Wars is much more like a traditional movie franchise which is best paced around 2-3 years apart to prevent fatigue.

And I say all of this as someone who enjoyed TFA, Rogue One, and TLJ. It's just hard for me to see why I'd want more backstories or why I'd be interested in the next generation of characters post-SW9.
I think they also can't be like Marvel and release a Star Wars Film only 6 months after another if there's no reason to. Or every year even.

Marvel has a interconnected Universe between all of their films that winds up making all of the Marvel films "must-sees" while also still differentiating each film enough from film to film that sometimes you wouldn't even know that they're made by the same studio.

Star Wars doesn't have that. Star Wars has nostalgia from the Original saga and that's it. Look at the anthology films and it tells you that even LucasFilm thinks that. Rogue One. Solo. Boba Fett. Obi-Wan (rumored). The studio doesn't have any sort of vision beyond "make money".

The only thing we have that could potentially EXPAND the universe coming up is the Rian Johnson Trilogy if that gets made. Right now, it seems as if LucasFilm is lost and is without vision.

Reactions: tankart150
I think the biggest difference between marvel and Star Wars is that Marvel has a ton of more source material to draw from. There so many stories and character to pull from.

Personally , I’ve stopped caring about the Marvel movies, as I just don’t have the interest. I realize I’m in the minority on this.

I think Disney should stop focusing on prequel back stories and start focusing on completely different eras and characters.