Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Sony/Marvel Spider-Man Deal

Live action is where the conversation is at.

In which Sony has 900 characters to chose from. Our thinking is very limited based on what Sony has done in the past but we don't know what Sony leadership will do now.

Also according to the article Feige also worked on Venom unofficially and that movie was rough.

Okay. The fact of the matter is they just showed the studio is capable of creating top-flight, master class Spider-Man content.
The team on Sony Animation is completely different than the team that will be working on the live action movies.

Point is, Spider-Man 3 and both Amazing Spider-Man movies were mediocre to bad.

Regardless of what the deal was, Sony is really shooting themselves in the foot here. The future of Spider-man (At least the live action version) is the MCU. Far From Home was their highest-grossing film ever because it was in the MCU. Take that away, and there goes their success. #boycottsony is already blowing up on Twitter. Sony you had Venom and Spider-verse but you got a little greedy. It's unfortunate that by the time Sony learns they they need the MCU to make live-action Spider-man successful, it will be too late. The MCU will have already moved on.

Point is, Spider-Man 3 and both Amazing Spider-Man movies were mediocre to bad.

Sure, no doubt. If the same people were to lead new movies, I'd be worried.

Regardless of what the deal was, Sony is really shooting themselves in the foot here. The future of Spider-man (At least the live action version) is the MCU. Far From Home was their highest-grossing film ever because it was in the MCU. Take that away, and there goes their success. #boycottsony is already blowing up on Twitter. Sony you had Venom and Spider-verse but you got a little greedy. It's unfortunate that by the time Sony learns they they need the MCU to make live-action Spider-man successful, it will be too late. The MCU will have already moved on.

How in the world is Sony the ones being greedy here when Disney was trying to shake them down for 50% of their biggest franchise? lol

Alright pay in full for my company to make something and then give me 50% of your profits and oh yeah I get 100% of merch payments of all the work you paid for. How much would you like that?

How in the world is Sony the ones being greedy here when Disney was trying to shake them down for 50% of their biggest franchise? lol

Two big things --

One, Into the Spider-Verse was great because of Lord & Miller, who just signed a feature overall deal with... Universal. Most consider that production a fluke/miracle. They'll still have some sort of producer capacity on future Spider-Verse installments, but it isn't going to be them at the helm.

Two, Disney didn't really try to necessarily shakedown - they didn't demand 50% of the franchise, they asked to co-finance 50% of the movie (which they currently weren't paying for... anything), in exchange for the larger 50% cut. Sony did not negotiate.

Two, Disney didn't really try to necessarily shakedown - they didn't demand 50% of the franchise, they asked to co-finance 50% of the movie (which they currently weren't paying for... anything), in exchange for the larger 50% cut. Sony did not negotiate.

Spider-Man is *all* Sony has. No matter what, that kind of negotiation is a non-starter. I don't blame Sony for telling Disney to shove it.

Personally I think this was the weakest part of the newer Spider-Man movies...so I can't say I'm all that disappointed in losing them.

You're pretty much the minority opinion on that one. Homecoming and Far From Home have made so much bank because - aside from being great films due to Feige and Marvel Studios' involvement - they're part of something bigger. We've had five live-action movies of Spider-Man being on his own, and look how that turned out: Two great movies and three poorly-received to terrible ones.

Audiences love the MCU Spider-Man. That's a whole reason why audiences cried at the end of Infinity War, went nuts when he showed up and Tony hugged him in Endgame, or why Far From Home became not only a billion dollar movie and the highest Spidey movie ever, but Sony's highest grossing movie ever.

Sony has a track record of mismanaging the character. Into the Spider-verse is one thing, as amazing as it is, but live-action? Spider-Man has succeeded in the last few years and clicked with so many people thanks to Marvel Studios and the MCU. Sony pulling him from the MCU isn't just a matter of screwing up the future of the franchise and what Marvel had planned for him going forward but because there's a legitimate worry based on their track record that they're about to screw him up flying solo. Again.

You're pretty much the minority opinion on that one. Homecoming and Far From Home have made so much bank because - aside from being great films due to Feige and Marvel Studios' involvement - they're part of something bigger. We've had five live-action movies of Spider-Man being on his own, and look how that turned out: Two great movies and three poorly-received to terrible ones.

I didn't dislike him being in the MCU. I disliked his solo movies being about Tony Stark more than they were about Peter Parker.

Audiences love the MCU Spider-Man. That's a whole reason why audiences cried at the end of Infinity War, went nuts when he showed up and Tony hugged him in Endgame, or why Far From Home became not only a billion dollar movie and the highest Spidey movie ever, but Sony's highest grossing movie ever.

Sony has a track record of mismanaging the character. Into the Spider-verse is one thing, as amazing as it is, but live-action? Spider-Man has succeeded in the last few years and clicked with so many people thanks to Marvel Studios and the MCU.
Sure, but I think Sony's realized now that a solo Spiderman universe can only go so far...

They're going to try to put together a bunch of characters and create their own universe around Spiderman. Who knows if it'll work, but I'd at least give them a chance.

Disney asked for a half of Spiderman while not giving up anything; were they willing to send MCU characters to Sony's Marvel movies? I'm pretty sure it was just a one-way ask.

Spider-Man is *all* Sony has. No matter what, that kind of negotiation is a non-starter. I don't blame Sony for telling Disney to shove it.

They have Jumanji now (assuming the second performs), but otherwise, yeah, this is a real issue for them. I'm not suggesting Sony was wrong to reject Disney's offer - far from it, I don't know the breakdown of payouts and I'm sure they did their own formulations - but I think we are underestimating how badly Sony frequently screws up its own blockbusters without outside guidance and/or sheer dumb luck. The Dark Tower, for example, still looms in my mind.

They have Jumanji now (assuming the second performs), but otherwise, yeah, this is a real issue for them. I'm not suggesting Sony was wrong to reject Disney's offer - far from it, I don't know the breakdown of payouts and I'm sure they did their own formulations - but I think we are underestimating how badly Sony frequently screws up its own blockbusters without outside guidance and/or sheer dumb luck. The Dark Tower, for example, still looms in my mind.

What are you talking about, there was never a Dark Tower movie.

Spider-Man 3 was made by the same people as the first two which I think have been the best movies to date.

I’d like to say that the same team is no guarantee of success but Fiege has nailed it time and time again and I think his vision will be missing.

I think this will be resolved when the fans start pushing and Sony realise that they could be taking a gamble.

Right now, it’s nothing more than a negotiation and it’s early days with both sides holding good cards.

The production company won’t change so likely Holland and the creative team won’t. Just Disney/Feige isn’t part of the overall vision.

As someone that worked on both Spider-Man MCU films, I can say quite confidently that Sony had NO creative input on these films. They were pretty much 100% made by Feige/Disney when it comes to the creativity of it all. All Sony did was pay for it/distribute it. So with this deal gone, so is the creative team.