Sony Pictures Hack | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Sony Pictures Hack

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Sony is a conglomerate. It sounds like the news is about the Sony Pictures of America.

This movie, like Escape from Tomorrow, will eventually find a release. North Korea essentially shot themselves in the foot because all this has done is given more publicity to the film. Sony will just have to wait a while (probably about 8 months) until they can just quietly release it, most likely on VOD or Direct-to-DVD.

Sony's BSing in that response to Obama. Even if you accept the (weak) argument that it was the theaters' fault and it was out of their hands (it wasn't, and several smaller chains were ready to show it), there are VOD services that are willing to show the movie. BitTorrent Bundle, a legitimate service that has independently distributed other prestigious, high-profile films (most recently the excellent Act of Killing, which was nominated for an Oscar last year), offered in a lengthy letter to Sony to host the film. Sony hasn't responded. More hilariously/pathetically, Sony has claimed they have no direct path to get the film to consumers. This is untrue: Sony actually owns "Crackle," their Hulu/Netflix style streaming/VOD service. Sony could easily host the film there if they want to - but they don't, because they're weighing the costs/benefits of the possibility of some of the NK/hackers' threats being realized.

This is pure capitalism talking, people, not censorship (though it will absolutely lead to self-censorship via chilling effect). Sony's taking the cowardly way out because it's also the option that costs the least amount of money.

I thought this thread would be blowing up now that the movie will be shown in some theaters and is available on many VOD services.

I thought this thread would be blowing up now that the movie will be shown in some theaters and is available on many VOD services.
I'm not surprised that it hasn't. People in general love to criticize, but hate to applaud.

They righted their wrong as well as they could. Over 200 independent theaters are showing the movie (Sony offered it to anyone that would take it) and it's out on Microsoft and Google (Apple Denied it). And tbh, it's a really crappy movie that's going to do pretty decent business bc of the publicity. I don't see how sony could have backtracked any further to try and fix it.

Well there is still plenty to criticize about how it went down :pound:

Also time for everyone to boycott Apple for being so un-American. I always knew they secretly supported North Korea but never had solid proof till now :wave:

Well there is still plenty to criticize about how it went down :pound:

Also time for everyone to boycott Apple for being so un-American. I always knew they secretly supported North Korea but never had solid proof till now :wave:
This has literally NOTHING to do with being "American" or not at this point. Sony would love for you to think that though so you buy/rent the movie.

Ut oh, maybe NBT got hacked too :look: Seriously though this is crazy publicity that no company could ever buy.

But I meant how Apple is so anti-consumer-choice, you know how they dictate what people can and can't do with their products :rofl: