Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Space 220

Codename seems right, especially if this is where the name comes from:

That's a REALLY good point. I can't imagine that this restaurant will take long to build, especially since it seems relatively minimal and more about technology coming from outside vendors(?). Hope that it's at least open by next October!

So is this a practical test on the screen technology that will be used for the Star Wars hotel experience?

That seems to be the case.

The Disney Cruise Line have been using something similar but smaller in scale for almost 8 years but they're doing it in real time:
How Do We Give Every Disney Dream Guest an Ocean View? It’s Magic! | Disney Parks Blog

This brings up an interesting point about the views of space out the windows. Will it just be a random image generated to provide the most visually striking appearance or it will in real time and accurately portrayed?

I really hope they do it the "correct" way and render the restaurant/hotel in the center of a 360° environment and then "punch out" the relevant views from each of the windows. I'm sure the space restaurant will be a bit easier to accomplish, as it will probably just have one main "window" and maybe a few smaller side windows, so they might not have to do a fully encompassing 360° render.

But when it comes to the hotel, I'd imagine they'd want to make it as fully immersive as possible, so if you're looking out your cabin's window on the port side of the ship, down at Batuu, and you then leave the room and go to another area of the ship with a window facing the same direction, you'd have a similar view just from a slightly different perspective. And if another ship passes over/under the ship you're on, I'd hope you can follow it from one side of "windows" to the other side.

I can only imagine the rendering power that'd be required to generate the massive, multi-hour 360° environments for that, and then the kind of A/V infrastructure they'd need to sync it all across the hundreds of screens throughout the hotel, but I really hope that's how they pull it off. It also really really makes me want to just walk through the hotel when it's empty with all the screens on just to appreciate the detail.

Last edited:
I really hope they do it the "correct" way and render the restaurant/hotel in the center of a 360° environment and then "punch out" the relevant views from each of the windows. I'm sure the space restaurant will be a bit easier to accomplish, as it will probably just have one main "window" and maybe a few smaller side windows, so they might not have to do a fully encompassing 360° render.

But when it comes to the hotel, I'd imagine they'd want to make it as fully immersive as possible, so if you're looking out your cabin's window on the port side of the ship, down at Batuu, and you then leave the room and go to another area of the ship with a window facing the same direction, you'd have a similar view just from a slightly different perspective. And if another ship passes over/under the ship you're on, I'd hope you can follow it from one side of "windows" to the other side.

I can only imagine the rendering power that'd be required to generate the massive, multi-hour 360° environments for that, and then the kind of A/V infrastructure they'd need to sync it all across the hundreds of screens throughout the hotel, but I really hope that's how they pull it off. It also really really makes me want to just walk through the hotel when it's empty with all the screens on just to appreciate the detail.
I'm expecting Be Our Guest, but with a Space projection rather than a mural

From what I’ve seen, the giant screen wall that will simulate space will be about 180°, not a full 360.

That is a massive building that they are forming the foundation of. You can see the curved wall being built all the way from MS to the new building.

ETA: I am assuming the new building is the support/kitchen area for the restaurant.

That is a massive building that they are forming the foundation of. You can see the curved wall being built all the way from MS to the new building.

ETA: I am assuming the new building is the support/kitchen area for the restaurant.

My first thought is that the building is the seating area and the curved wall is where the screens will go. Far enough back to create the illusion of depth.

My first thought is that the building is the seating area and the curved wall is where the screens will go. Far enough back to create the illusion of depth.
I mean, in an ideal world where practicality doesn't play into things, that might be nice, but there needs to be a Back of House area that is of sufficient size. That's almost certainly what that building is.