Special Effects Stage | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Special Effects Stage

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Another site on Twitter suggested the possibility of a motion simulator going into the current place of Special Effects. While we all know this area is covered by the Evolution Plan, does anyone else think that's a bit unrealistic?

The additional inclusion of yet another motion simulator aside, that area has always had foundation and structural issues for the Castle Theater. Maybe it's just me and I'm completely off base, but I don't see a motion simulator occupying that land anytime soon. I mean, what does everyone else think? Possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was gonna mention the structural issues too. I'm sure if they REALLY fixed it up to make it 100% problem free, I could see them adding a simulator, but holy crap I don't want another simulator....I'd rather they make sure the structural issues are fixed and they make some sort of 2 level dark ride with innovative new effects. I'm sure Universal is well aware that even casual fans and visitors are tired of simulators at USH...

It looks from the evolution plan that they are replacing the building for a new one. In doing so they could make something that is more structurally sound.

No, definitely. I really doubt they'd use the same structure.

I guess I'm just miffed at the idea of another simulator.

I wonder if they will relocate the Special Effect show when the new attraction comes in. Behind the scenes demonstrations have been part of USH's identity for a long time..

I'd love for that to happen. I personally think (in my opinion) they should retire animal actors, enclose the animal actors location, and put a new SES in that location, and use castle theatre for a new ride. An SES type show should always be part of USH.

They could put it where Shrek 4-D is.

t11.png

The T-11 spot on the evolution plan is also a logical place. Then you could have two behind the scenes attractions next to each other. The Studio Tour and Special Effects could be side by side.

Is there really enough space for a blockbuster attraction in place of the Castle Theatre? If the next attraction doesn't incorporate screens or projections of some sort, I'll be surprised.

^ I agree that it's hard to imagine a new innovative large attraction in that space, but I think we're just imagining the current theatre as the space. If they get creative with the space (two story, expand footprint), it'll be possible.

I just don't think it's constructive to throw out possible locations for theoretical rides that haven't even been announced. I like creating theories and bouncing ideas, but sometimes it's just fluff with no merit. I mean, I could very easily say that a Fast and Furious attraction is going to replace House of Horrors, but we all know that's a bit far fetched. :unsure:

Reactions: BernardMesa
There is one thing I have wondered about the show after seeing it many times. In the scene where they do the mo cap demonstration it seems like the guy does the exact same moves every time. I wonder if the animation is pre-rendered ahead of time and the guy is just matching the animation.

There is one thing I have wondered about the show after seeing it many times. In the scene where they do the mo cap demonstration it seems like the guy does the exact same moves every time. I wonder if the animation is pre-rendered ahead of time and the guy is just matching the animation.
It's all prerecorded. There's a mirror in front of Jerry so that he's able to mimic the large projection behind him.

They'd have to use some very powerful computers to do that animation in real time.

It's all prerecorded. There's a mirror in front of Jerry so that he's able to mimic the large projection behind him.

They'd have to use some very powerful computers to do that animation in real time.
The "motion capture" and "astronaut" bits in the show KILL me. Completely suck the enjoyment out of the show for me after the first time....too much time devoted in this incarnation on one time funny gags, prerecorded video and too scripted.

I just don't think it's constructive to throw out possible locations for theoretical rides that haven't even been announced. I like creating theories and bouncing ideas, but sometimes it's just fluff with no merit. I mean, I could very easily say that a Fast and Furious attraction is going to replace House of Horrors, but we all know that's a bit far fetched. :unsure:
I think it IS definitely constructive, actually, especially considering that on the Expansion Plan, SES's location is marked with a new attraction. So it's just fun to speculate WHAT TYPE of attraction could fit and how they could make use of the space and make it new and exciting. I know the Plan isn't 100% exact, but it's still great material we can use to speculate and make educated guesses, as some IU articles have done in the past.

But yeah, when SES is replaced by an attraction, I really hope they put an SES-type show elsewhere.

The "Paranorman" and "Despicable Me 2" bits KILL me. I can see that on the DVD at home - I don't need to watch a behind-the-scenes how-it-was-done video in a live show. Too scripted for me, too much like a lecture. I enjoy watching the audience reaction during the astro sequence even though I know what's going on.

I think the issue with today's SES show also has to do with movies being done with less and less actual physical effects and props. Almost everything is CGI or in the computer. Which doesn't translate well into a live show....I wish they'd have longer segments with audience participation and gags with physical props. The old Nutty Professor bit in the old SES was HILARIOUS each time! When it truly is a new audience member and it's in the moment, its gold! Too much of the current SES is scripted...

Personally, I think the whole "it's not intimate enough" excuse as to why we don't have the audience participation segments as much anymore is BS. The sound effects segment could still work and was always fun for everyone and hilarious, especially the voice over segment!