Special Effects Stage | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Special Effects Stage

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
But on that note, even with all attractions, they should absolutely strive for what Disney strives for to make a timeless experience and not just a flavor of the month or "good enough"
Also keep in mind that Disney captivates a different type of audience with material oriented to a family with younger children. See, unlike Universal, Disney's material are "symbols." Shows like Aladdin in DCA are great not only because of production value but the source itself is iconic. Universal just doesn't have that library to milk. Sure people can argue Waterworld, and it is a good show because it's intentionally cheesy. It's not a staple though, and Universal time and time again fail to get rid of it to various reasons.

That's why I said Universal should stick to rides. It's their biggest strength because of the immersion and detail, something I can say they beat Disney ten times over in recent years.

Going back to my earlier post, again it's not a huge sin they went this route on SES. In comparison to how Disney is going with DHS, it's better to have cheap space than dead space.

And I will yet again reiterate that Universal used to have absolutely amazing shows with fantastic production values or simply funny/original/interactive shows. It's not all about having a popular IP library. Universal was able to captivate audiences with great shows in the past, and I'm sure they'd be able to again if they structured them differently.

And honestly, the "Disney is primarily for younger children" mentality is dumb. The decades and generations of popularity that Disney has with different age groups (not just harbored D23 attending fans) is astounding. Universal slowly but surely needs to create timeless experiences. They have the power. All it takes is the flick of a wand.

Universal slowly but surely needs to create timeless experiences. They have the power. All it takes is the flick of a wand.
tumblr_ma48cc3Jss1r65aj5.gif

And I will yet again reiterate that Universal used to have absolutely amazing shows with fantastic production values or simply funny/original/interactive shows. It's not all about having a popular IP library. Universal was able to captivate audiences with great shows in the past, and I'm sure they'd be able to again if they structured them differently.

And honestly, the "Disney is primarily for younger children" mentality is dumb. The decades and generations of popularity that Disney has with different age groups (not just harbored D23 attending fans) is astounding. Universal slowly but surely needs to create timeless experiences. They have the power. All it takes is the flick of a wand.
"In the past" though.

Yes, for a long time Universal had captivated audiences with their primary means of entertainment being shows. The Upper Lot at a time was nothing BUT shows, GOOD shows even original. But as time goes on, those shows become stale as the next generation deviate away to a different form of entertainment. See, what you need to remember is this is a MOVIE park. IP is hugely important because it draws crowds, Potter being a HUGE example. I get what your saying though, and it could be easy as a flick of a wand but the irony about that is they don't use pixie dust.   

See, what you don't get when I talked about "families with younger children" is that is the biggest demographic of theme park visitors. Disneyland is by no means a "kids park" but in terms of show entertainment, they have to contend to that demographic. They utilize their IP library because that's the biggest draw, and it's pretty powerful. I mean, there's a singalong show of Frozen RIGHT NOW that is probably the cheapest show in Disney's attractions. It's easily gets a full house. 

Universal strength relies on 12+ audience (For now). There's a different mindset. They want the "cool rides" and "immersive worlds" not just anything "Frozen." So as much as I understand what you want from Universal, I truly believe Universal is way past that time era where shows can put "ass in seats" as a permanent attraction, no matter how good it is or how much money they put into it. Waterworld, as entertaining as it is is getting it's boot soon.

BUT

There are timeless shows in Universal's arsenal to take consideration: Bill and Ted's and How the Grinch Stole Christmas. But the smart aspect is they are seasonal. Great entertainment but also a traditional aspect to their season.     

Last edited by a moderator:

What shows were, in your opinion, absolutely amazing with fantastic production values?

A lot of the previous shows Universal has had have had great production values or were at least funny/original.

Beetlejuice, Adventures of Conan, Spiderman Rocks was cheesy but still enduring, Special Effects Stages, all the different Screen Test theatre shows, Miami Vice, wild west stunt show, T23D (of course that's an attraction so I won't completely count that but still), and a few of the other family friendly character shows have been great.

I'd love for something like Star Trek Adventure to return as well. Something that gives us a show but also the "Hollywood" experience.

Since Barbara Epstein left USH.

The current entertainment team seems to be thinking only of budget. How little they can spend. Not on entertainment value.

From what I understand, it's extremely scripted and practically no improv.....they don't even care if you have improv experience or not.

Very disheartening for this type of show...but I'll reserve my judgment until I see the full new restructured show.

It is interesting that the audition notice says "IMPROV ability not required". It seems they are almost warning actors with improv experience that improv will not be tolerated.

My fear is Special Effects Stage essentially becomes another Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular - jarring, scripted and painful to watch. The beauty of WaterWorld is that the entire show plays it straight without any interruptions or conceits.

Reactions: Aaron and Jonathan
My fear is Special Effects Stage essentially becomes another Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular - jarring, scripted and painful to watch. The beauty of WaterWorld is that the entire show plays it straight without any interruptions or conceits.
I agree, the "behind the scenes" stunt shows are usually painful to sit through. I do think AH did a wonderful job with WaterWorld, I remain cautiously optimistic.