Special Effects Stage | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Special Effects Stage

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
^ Yeah, Special Effects Stage does receive a full crowd on a consistent basis during peak weeks. I know it's not exactly a fan favorite, but people do gravitate towards the show. The same could be said for Animal Actors.

...and yes, this park desperately needs shows and less 3D attractions. It's becoming a farce at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ItsAtrap
I think one of the reasons the show receives a full crowd during peak seasons is because of the weather and also because of the park's limited attraction count, so as one of the few attractions in the park, guests will do it. Especially those who like the behind the scenes aspect.

I'm all for shows, but my issue with most of them recently is they've all been neutered or watered down and don't have the best repeatability.

Whatever the reason, I think Stylowtrix's point that attendance is low at the show is incorrect. Even if people ONLY enter the theater because of the weather and also because of the park's limited attraction count they still enter the theater.

In my opinion repeatability isn't that important. Few "regulars" go see shows so something like SES is great for the vast majority of the people who visit USH. I've seen it a lot, I am no longer surprised by the reveal but I very much enjoy watching the audience react.

I'm hoping the new version will be better.

I'm pretty surprised Universal is still contempt to continue the theme of "Behind the Scenes" with this attraction. Honestly, what ever Universal devise won't accumulate the attendance. I feel even Universal knows this and the budget putting into this will be limited. Come the time Wizarding World opens in the Spring, this attraction will be good as dead. Theming is the new genre for a movie park now. The charm of "how movies are made" seems to dissolve.

I can guarantee you that if the old SES Stages were still open, they'd still be popular. It's the WAY the current show is presented and its cold format that sucks. Guests aren't tired of the behind the scenes aspect at all.

Although the other issue, the old SES had shown off a lot of different physical movie making aspects. Now, it's like "the computer did it, it's all CGI."

If the shows had better repeatability, of course I'd go see them more often. The current SES is cringe worthy most of the show...
I think you're missing the point. It's not about you or me, it's about what the average guest thinks. Obviously most are happy enough to see the show, filling the theater to capacity.

Fans make an insignificant dent in that equation.

No, I got the point, Jon, I was simply responding to something ItsATrap said about regulars rarely seeing the shows. I said that as a regular I'd SEE more of the shows more often if they were better made and weren't so forced or lackluster in many aspects.

The average guest/once in a lifetime tourist will go see the show even if it was a crapfest considering the limited attraction count and them not really knowing what's inside. The average guest or tourist is clueless about the attraction outside of seeing commercials and the park map. "Creature" was packing the house until guests left midshow when they realized what it was. I'd be exactly the same visiting the park I'm not familiar with.

Like I said, I'd be happy to see it TOO if it was better produced. Saying that fans make an insignificant dent in the equation is rather silly when for the past decade there has been a massive Annual Pass member population at USH who are regulars and whose opinions should be valid. It's still a locals park at the moment, even if Universal is trying to change it.

Basically, all I'm saying is that it wouldn't be too hard to produce a show that caters both to fans, locals, as well as tourists. That's why so many old shows had amazing cult followings or dedicated fans. It just has to be well made! Universal has to get out of the "it's good enough for the average guest" mentality. They need to start using the Potter/Disney mentality where it should be more than good enough for ANY guest, tourist or local. I think it's silly to not care what the locals think. Look at WaterWorld and some of the previous shows like the old SES, or most of the shows in Orlando. If it's engaging enough, humorous, and can be fresh with new improv and spectacle, it'll be popular with anyone.

Reactions: alias8703
No, I got the point, Jon, I was simply responding to something ItsATrap said about regulars rarely seeing the shows. I said that as a regular I'd SEE more of the shows more often if they were better made and weren't so forced or lackluster in many aspects.
lol here comes Jon to poop on you as usual

Jon I love the site but dude you gotta calm down sometimes. The know-it-all attitude and tone you take with your readers is really quite the turn off.

Reactions: Allen The Actor
I believe the show has been full for 2 reasons:  1. The show does not play every hour of the day and 2. Ever since they removed seats in the theater the show does not have a large capacity anymore.  There is a need for additional entertainment at USH due to the lack of available attractions and things to do.  USH needs to handle this show better.

I also feel that advertising show times for small street shows will help make the park seem like it has more to do...or create a bottleneck at street intersections!  choose your poison!

lol here comes Jon to poop on you as usual

Jon I love the site but dude you gotta calm down sometimes. The know-it-all attitude and tone you take with your readers is really quite the turn off.
Allen has almost twice as many posts as the next highest poster on these forums. The likelihood that both of us cross paths is high. If he or anyone else cannot handle the notion of their thoughts and opinions being challenged, I suggest they leave.

If anyone has any further concerns on this matter, I suggest they message me privately. We're moving on.

Reactions: Ryan
Allen has almost twice as many posts as the next highest poster on these forums. The likelihood that both of us cross paths is high. If he or anyone else cannot handle the notion of their thoughts and opinions being challenged, I suggest they leave.

If anyone has any further concerns on this matter, I suggest they message me privately. We're moving on.
Honestly dude, who do you think you are?

You give me a "warning" for calling you out on something we all KNOW that you do?

There's a difference between an opinion and fact.

You ALWAYS speak in a "I'm smarter than you and I don't know why you waste your time giving your opinion because it doesn't matter because I am right" tone.

You run a fan site. Your word is not law. And I am also entitled to my opinions as well. You don't have the right to censor me or tell me what I can or cannot say.

Just because you don't agree with someone else's opinion or comments on a situation doesn't mean you need to poop all over them.

You said "if anyone else cannot handle the notion of their thoughts and opinions being challenged, I suggest they leave." Then maybe YOU should be the one to leave? Because all anyone was doing was expressing their opinion before you came in and essentially told Allen or anyone else to shut up because your opinion matters more than theirs. So basically YOU have the right to express YOUR opinion and anyone who challenges YOU can leave? LOL

Who are you Hitler? Is this Nazi Germany? Do you think you have the right to censor me and tell me how to speak? You don't.

If you want to BAN me for sharing MY opinions or thoughts on a MESSAGE BOARD than I would rather not be here anyway. 

But I'm not going to be spoken to in such a way and told that I don't have the right to express my opinion without you coming in and telling me what IS and isn't.

You are not god. Just because you run this site does not make you immune to any rules or make you above everyone else.

I suggest you watch what you say to the people who come and click on your page and your ads and support you and keep YOU in a job. Because your bad attitude is flat out rude and uncalled for.

and then you delete people's posts because you don't want a record of multiple saying how this is your typical MO?

Honestly dude, who do you think you are?

You give me a "warning" for calling you out on something we all KNOW that you do?
Contrary to what you may think, I didn't give you a warning - the moderating staff did. We are a team of volunteers that work to keep order and civility on these forums.

You don't have the right to censor me or tell me what I can or cannot say.
Who are you Hitler? Is this Nazi Germany? Do you think you have the right to censor me and tell me how to speak? You don't.
Actually, I do. You're posting on a privately owned message board. I along with the rest of the moderating staff have every right to moderate the content that is posted on these forums.

I suggest you watch what you say to the people who come and click on your page and your ads and support you and keep YOU in a job. Because your bad attitude is flat out rude and uncalled for.

and then you delete people's posts because you don't want a record of multiple saying how this is your typical MO?
Posts are hidden, not deleted. If you'd like to make a suggestion on how this forum is moderated, you may create a thread in the appropriate forum. That dialogue does not belong in this thread.

Also, Inside Universal and USHForums.com are run at cost as a service to the fan community. When you factor in equipment and labor costs, I'm deep in the red.

Look, I'm going to kindly ask you to move along. If you do not like how is community is run, you may also leave.

alias8703, on 31 Aug 2015 - 11:47 AM, said:

You don't have the right to censor me or tell me what I can or cannot say.

Actually, I do. You're posting on a privately owned message board. I along with the rest of the moderating staff have every right to moderate the content that is posted on these forums.
So you agree then? You are Hitler? or Hitler-esque?

You DO NOT have the right to censor me regardless of it being privately owned. It's still privately owned in the United States. And you don't get to value your opinions over my own. Sorry.

AGAIN I am fine with everyone else's opinion and people disagreeing with mine but there is a difference in disagreeing and telling me I don't have the right to my own opinion.

You DO NOT have the right to censor me regardless of it being privately owned. It's still privately owned in the United States. And you don't get to value your opinions over my own. Sorry.

AGAIN I am fine with everyone else's opinion and people disagreeing with mine but there is a difference in disagreeing and telling me I don't have the right to my own opinion.
That's actually not correct. The First Amendment does not cover private property.

Do individuals have First Amendment rights on others’ private property?

Generally no. The Bill of Rights provides protection for individual liberty from actions by government officials. This is called the state-action doctrine. Private property is not government-owned. Restrictions on individuals’ free-speech rights on private property do not involve state action.
http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/faq/frequently-asked-questions-assembly

You also agreed to a set of forum rules when you registered on the site.

Finally, the moderating staff has the right to edit or remove posts at any time. Please keep in mind that this is a free service offered out-of-pocket by Inside Universal, and the team has the right to change these rules as we see fit.
http://www.ushforums.com/index.php?/forum-15/announcement-2-ushforums-rules-please-read/

Anyways....moving on from the unnecessary yelling...

When I saw the Special Effects show, I wasn't impressed. I saw it once and that's all I needed.

Now I'm not saying they should take it out completely, but they need to do something to keep the audience's interest. They should create something that can compete with the rides. Because as mentioned before, once the WWOHP is open there won't be to many people going to see the Special Effects show. Just because it's a crowd eater, doesn't mean it shouldn't be just as polished and fun as the other attractions. (cough* cough* excluding Shrek 3D)

I'll bring up what I said previously:

Universal Studios Hollywood needs to look towards Disneyland and USH/USF of the past for inspiration. They can't have the "it's good enough for the general guest" mentality. They need to make sure they create timeless and popular shows for fans and general one time guests. That's what makes Disneyland different. They need to strive to make people want to come again and again, not just see it once, say it was good enough, and never return.

They SHOULD strive to make attractions and shows that are timeless and constantly popular and will potentially gain cult followings, like shows of the past. People have fond memories of some of the old USH shows. Who the heck is gonna be having positive memories about the current SES or Creature? Not fans or regular guests. They need to get away from the "it's good enough" mentality that gave us DCA 1.0, Simpsons, and other similar attractions.

Reactions: Stylowtrix
I'll bring up what I said previously:

Universal Studios Hollywood needs to look towards Disneyland and USH/USF of the past for inspiration. They can't have the "it's good enough for the general guest" mentality. They need to make sure they create timeless and popular shows for fans and general one time guests. That's what makes Disneyland different. They need to strive to make people want to come again and again, not just see it once, say it was good enough, and never return.

They SHOULD strive to make attractions and shows that are timeless and constantly popular and will potentially gain cult followings, like shows of the past. People have fond memories of some of the old USH shows. Who the heck is gonna be having positive memories about the current SES or Creature? Not fans or regular guests. They need to get away from the "it's good enough" mentality that gave us DCA 1.0, Simpsons, and other similar attractions.
They have followed the mindset which is why their expansion budget is so immense. Recent additions to the park are 1up from their original incarnations at the Eastern park in terms of themes; Despicable Me and Springsfield, specifically. Don't let SES shallow the mindset of that the company is "too cheap." They have a 1 billion dollar expansion in the works. A few grand for a temporary "spruce up" won't hurt. I empathize "temporary" because again, this is only to occupy guests until Wizarding World opens. It's to fill in dead space. I bet money it will close in the future for something "grander."

Disney also has sinned to this too. I mean, look at the state of WDW. It's a mess.