Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland) | Page 63 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This thread is getting so unpleasant. Thoughts about any park/ride/area/attractions are always subjective. An opinion is an opinion--by definition, it's not "right" or "wrong".

You can listen to it, ignore it, disagree, or agree. Or maybe even gain some insight from it, even if it's an opinion you don't subscribe to. But it seems many are taking things personally and picking things apart and/or over analyzing a bit too much.

Agreed. We're gonna be a modding a bit harder on this thread since some people are taking it a bit too far.

Reactions: Rideguy70
I think the issue stems from the current plans being in response to Potter vs being a labor of love by Disney. If you remember correctly, after Diagon alley opened, imagineers went back to Disney saying the plans weren't good enough. I think if they focused less on competing and more on giving people what is Star Wars to them, the responses would be completely different.
It wasn't Imagineers that said the plans weren't good enough, it was actually the Board of Directors. Imagineers wanted to give us a spinner and an indoor Jedi Training Academy and call it a day.

Wow, so folks were saying how SR was going to be amazing on so many levels. Now we're comparing it to NRJ.

So far, it seems Disney completely failed with this land. And that is with heavily controlled access. I see no way it will work in DHS without major changes, Quick. It's seems there is nothing near the entrance. The ride, Cantina, and food are all close. There should be a Cantina drink QS stand near the entrance.

It's funny, I thought they were making a huge mistake, just like Universal did with only one Butterbeer stand, when they showed only one Blue Milk stand, and not even selling it in the restaurant. But it is clearly a failure too. I wouldn't be surprised if it's completely changed before DHS opens.

To quote Jack Nicholson's Joker...The Imagineering department needs an enema.
I was not comparing NRJ with Smuggler Run. I was comparing the land's and we've always been expecting SR to be the lesser ride. That was the only point of comparison at all.

Agreed. We're gonna be a modding a bit harder on this thread since some people are taking it a bit too far.
I think part of the issue here is that almost none of the people commenting in this thread have actually visited the land, but everyone want to act like an expert.

Last edited:
It wasn't Imagineers that said the plans weren't good enough, it was actually the Board of Directors. Imagineers wanted to give us a spinner and an indoor Jedi Training Academy and call it a day.

:ded: No way. Wait what?? Question.. what position does joe rhode have?

:ded: No way
I'm sure there might have been a bit more, but basically DLR wasn't even to get anything in this proposal and it was just adding a spinner to the area around Star Tours at DHS while moving the JTA to an indoor location (where Sounds Dangerous used to be). The board sent the proposal back and told them to think bigger because they didn't want to have spent all of that money buying LucasFilm for that to be all they do with it in the parks.

It's sad when the money people are telling the creative people what to do and they're actually in the right. That means someone really messed up.

I'm sure there might have been a bit more, but basically DLR wasn't even to get anything in this proposal and it was just adding a spinner to the area around Star Tours at DHS while moving the JTA to an indoor location (where Sounds Dangerous used to be).
1st Check my edited post.. then my next question is are we talking about just dlr?

1st Check my edited post.. then my next question is are we talking about just dlr?
To answer your first question, Joe Rohde, according to his LinkedIn, is a Senior Vice President at Imagineering. He wasn't involved with Star Wars though. On your second question, no, as far as I know (or at least insiders like @Marni1971 have told), what I explained was just for DHS.

So I watch a bit of the SR pov and I have to say I can't stand the wild acceleration when leaving the planet into space and then how fast you decent down into the mission planet once out of light speed??? This is probably the best opportunity to feel flying the falcon in space and maybe give you a few seconds to feel the controls. It comes across so gimmicky, it's disappointing. I understand they try to accelerate these time slots to get you in the action, but I'd rather have a more involved fly time through the atmosphere into and out of the mission rather than the chaos within the mission, big miss on user experience here in my opinion

I just can't believe that the directors have to tell the imagineers to think bigger. Thats a really worrying sign about the leadership and quality of the current Imagineering team IMO.

That said, what they have created is spectacular, the workmanship and detail in the pictures I'm seeing is incredible.

So I finally had a chance to experience it on my own to just explore last night. It was VERY busy. Falcon had on average a 40-65 minute wait. The land is stunning there's literally no denying that, but it's much more immersive at night.

What was the atmosphere like? was there more background music etc? From the videos and pics it all looks a little 'sterile' so I'm curious about how it feels.

Last edited:
I just can't believe that the directors have to tell the imagineers to think bigger. Thats a really worrying sign about the leadership and quality of the current Imagineering team

Umm yeah! They need a serious reworking if what I've learned was true i just can't believe that. Not to say they have to compete or nuthin, but with a product as powerful as potter 10 mins away, and an ip as powerful as starwars, how could you possibly cone up with allegedly a jedi academy and spinner! Ok the spinner get's under my skin everytime i speak of it now :enrage:

Umm yeah! They need a serious reworking if what I've learned was true i just can't believe that. Not to say they have to compete or nuthin, but with a product as powerful as potter 10 mins away, and an ip as powerful as starwars, how could you possibly cone up with allegedly a jedi academy and spinner! Ok the spinner get's under my skin everytime i speak of it now :enrage:
That was pretty much common info on the various theme park sites after Diagon opened, after Disney execs. and board members who visited, and/or were made aware of, Diagon, were completely blown away and impressed by Diagon/London/Gringotts/HE.

Reactions: devinp267
I just can't believe that the directors have to tell the imagineers to think bigger. Thats a really worrying sign about the leadership and quality of the current Imagineering team IMO.

That said, what they have created is spectacular, the workmanship and detail in the pictures I'm seeing is incredible.

What was the atmosphere like? was there more background music etc? From the videos and pics it all looks a little 'sterile' so I'm curious about how it feels.

I think it’s TDO more than WDI. Remember that TDO makes the calls of what to add, not WDI.

Legit question, how do you fix the Cantina, other than building another one (or three)? Given the Mouse's history with upgrades, I wouldn't call that "easy."

I'd say let it run its course. In 5 years, it could be the right size. Adding a different bar in the land with a different theme is another option. Also adding the sit down restaurant would help.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Legit question, how do you fix the Cantina, other than building another one (or three)? Given the Mouse's history with upgrades, I wouldn't call that "easy."

I believe a good chunk of complaints has been the attitude of the staff, so they can shape up or ship out. I’m not sure if this changed yet, but I believe guests aren’t allowed to leave the Cantina with their drink? That should help alleviate the congestion. The other option would be the obvious another bar, but do it different than the Cantina.

I thought this photo was interesting:

Usual caveat, I haven’t visited and am looking forward to doing so, but it does show the repetitiousness of texture some people have spoken about and the distinct lack of vegetation. I don’t remember seeing areas like this all with the same finish on the model, so it seems strange.

This thread is getting so unpleasant. Thoughts about any park/ride/area/attractions are always subjective. An opinion is an opinion--by definition, it's not "right" or "wrong".

You can listen to it, ignore it, disagree, or agree. Or maybe even gain some insight from it, even if it's an opinion you don't subscribe to. But it seems many are taking things personally and picking things apart and/or over analyzing a bit too much.

Some opinions are most definitely wrong or right.

I'm sure there might have been a bit more, but basically DLR wasn't even to get anything in this proposal and it was just adding a spinner to the area around Star Tours at DHS while moving the JTA to an indoor location (where Sounds Dangerous used to be). The board sent the proposal back and told them to think bigger because they didn't want to have spent all of that money buying LucasFilm for that to be all they do with it in the parks.

It's sad when the money people are telling the creative people what to do and they're actually in the right. That means someone really messed up.

I wonder if Imagineering has been told "that costs too much, cut it back" for so long, that they just send underwhelming stuff to not have to change it later?

So I watch a bit of the SR pov and I have to say I can't stand the wild acceleration when leaving the planet into space and then how fast you decent down into the mission planet once out of light speed??? This is probably the best opportunity to feel flying the falcon in space and maybe give you a few seconds to feel the controls. It comes across so gimmicky, it's disappointing. I understand they try to accelerate these time slots to get you in the action, but I'd rather have a more involved fly time through the atmosphere into and out of the mission rather than the chaos within the mission, big miss on user experience here in my opinion

To summarize, you haven't actually been there, but you are going to complain about it anyway.

The above photos are interesting since I didn’t see a single storm trooper in the land. Only saw Chewbacca in the 3 hours I spent there.

Really irked me to see the stage set up for Docking Bay 9, complete with sound effects and cues, only to never see Kylo Ren or any other member of the first order.

Last edited: