1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort' started by k_peek_2000, Mar 15, 2017.

1. SailwiththeTide

SailwiththeTide Rookie

Solid review. It will be interesting how the reservations will work out once they go online. We were lucky to get a reservation at Olgas but I know many who didn’t. Overall the opening weeks seemed to have been a success. Certainly not perfect but I like the way Disneyland is using the app and tech to solve line problem. No one wants to wait in a 10 hour line (cough Hagrids) for anything no matter how great it might be.

2. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

This is a... choice.

3. Chris Galindo

Chris Galindo Veteran Member

Spaceballs: the popcorn

Honor_Knight, awhen, Freak and 6 others like this.
  4. Ryan

Ryan Staff Member Moderator

And boy does it look weird in real life.

Anyways my quick thoughts on Galaxy's Edge: absolutely gorgeous with stunning amounts of detail that's only hampered by the operational fact that almost everything has a long line except the marketplace because it's so spread out. It's unavoidable for now, but luckily you can keep busy by just walking around and seeing the sights. There really does feel like there's something new at every turn.

Smuggler's Run has a fantastic queue, one of the best in Disneyland since probably Indy. The chess room is almost hysterically different than Fallon in that you're taken out of it in what feels like a matter of seconds. I rode three times, once in each position. Pilot is the ostensibly the coolest position that's undermined by the fact that you're so close to the screen, making it a bit difficult to gather your bearings at times. Engineer is certainly the most divisive position. A member of my group said he loved it because constantly having the busy work is fun, but it can be very, very distracting. It's certainly a different experience. Gunner, if you can multitask and gather your fingers on the buttons while paying attention is probably the most level of the positions and can be fun if you're an experienced gamer. The motion was more than I was expecting, to be honest but I never felt motion sick. I did feel like it was a bit more jumbled due to the nature of it all, and felt almost too fast. Loved the depth effect in both the pre-show and the actual screens in the simulator pod. I'd give the attraction a solid B. Most people coming off of it absolutely adored it, I will say. Curious to see how the general public reacts.

Blue milk is actually pretty good! It has a very fruity flavor and interesting creamy consistency. The line was always busy until the last 30 min prior to the next overlap hour. I did not try any of the rest of the food.

Shops were gorgeous and never repetitious, always flowing with something new to purchase or see. Dok Ondar's had a constant line in it, and was mostly awesome for the animatronic. Of course the whole haggling thing never came into being, but the AA is just so cool. That and all of the other unique "species" and artifacts found in the shop.

Character interactions were numerous around the land. The stormtroopers were hilarious. I barely got to see the Kylo Ren show as we were heading into Oga's, but the ship is extremely impressive.

Oga's Cantina is bigger than one may think, but obviously still needs an expansion. The bartenders ranged from nice to curt, and it very obviously has a bar-like vibe to how people are enjoying it. If booze and drinking is your thing (and you have money to spend), this will be an essential. People were enjoying themselves, but I was amused to see many kids with their parties bored and on their phones. It simply is not a family atmosphere in the fact that it's not how people really behave when they're in a bar like this. They're here to party, even if they only can really get a little buzzed at best. DJ Rex is awesome and everybody loved him. (also I bought a DJ Rex from Droid Depot, which is also very cool, and the poor guy didn't even get a hello from his dad)

Loved talking with cast members in the land and asking about their backstory and who they support. The Resistance Supply people reluctantly supported the First Order because they do what Oga tells them to do. It was pretty hysterical. Also loved the sounds and subtle music in the land, which made it feel like a real place. Ships would fly randomly around you.

A minor complaint is signage. You have no idea what anything really is unless you walk up to it. I walked to an area late into my reservation asking what people were doing only to find out it was Savi's Workshop. Of course the restrooms are marked in English, the only real signage in the land aside from Docking Bay weirdly enough. This will be a huge problem once the land opens to regular guests tomorrow for sure. I expect WDW to pretty much add signage everywhere once it opens.

Anyways I loved it. What a wonderful addition. Even better is that it's extremely hidden away from Disneyland itself. The park is almost unaffected by its presence thematically, to the point where numerous times outside the land people were asking cast members what that Galaxy's Edge thing people were taking about was.

5. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

Great review! Looking forward to experiencing this out here in Orlando in just about 2 months now. Unfortunately, we don't have the privilege of it being hidden away from the park as much. Hell, the land can be seen from Slinky :lol:

Ryan likes this.
  6. glendroid

glendroid Newcomer

They likely won’t because Avatar seems to be doing fine with no signage for anything but the drink stand pongu pongu.

7. Nick

Pandora is not a good point of comparison, imo.

Yes, it does have signs written in an alien language, but the land doesn't have a lot going on outside of the rides. Galaxy's Edge has a ton going on, especially with all of the shopping, Oga's, the Kylo Ren show, Milk Stand, etc.

Ryan likes this.
  8. Ryan

Ryan Staff Member Moderator

^this. Pandora is fairly straightforward compared to Batuu, which is very intricate and filled with numerous different indoor shops and stands. For instance, the milk stand is obvious as it's marked by containers of blue and green milk. Dok's is less so. Savi's is practically tucked away.

Nick likes this.
  9. Alicia

Alicia Premium Member

Plus, after Pandora’s first week all day, and still every morning, Cast Members, stand in the land with directional signs pointing to the two different rides (otherwise every single guest will ask “which way to..”).

Ryan likes this.
  10. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

Just thought people would be interested in line times for this first day; 10:00 AM Millenium Falcon 140 minutes....Disneyland rides: looks like pretty long ride times all around.

11. Joe

The park isn’t open yet.

UniversalRBLX likes this.
  12. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

good point. That's from Touring Plans though. Are they guessing?

13. Joe

If the park isn’t open then it’s a projection based on lines around noon. Says right at the top of the page.

14. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

Thanks....so that's what they're expecting then, though they also posted "posted wait times" besides the expected times. Thanks for clarifying. I'll check back in a few hours then. Completely forgot about the time difference :doh:, Monday morning and all. :lol:

15. Nick

I would suggest following the official Disneyland apps wait times if you want to know what’s being advertised to guests.

16. SailwiththeTide

SailwiththeTide Rookie

App shows Land is open as of 7:45 am. Smugglers run is at a 45 min wait. Also checked for Olga’s reservations and there are sold out for today (as 0f 7:40am)

UPDATE: Olga’s reservations didn’t open until 8:00am. Checked and there are reservations available now. I still think reservations will go fast each day especially when people know what to do.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  17. SailwiththeTide

SailwiththeTide Rookie

As of 8:25 am: land is at capacity and ride wait time is at 4 hours. Rest of Disneyland is a ghost town with Space Mountain having a 10 min wait.

Estimate boarding Late morning.
    [​IMG]

18. Honor_Knight

Honor_Knight Rookie

Ride is barely worth a 20 minute wait, much less 4 hours. Good luck, kids!

Trumen882 likes this.
  19. Ron101

Ron101 Rookie

Wrong time zone:lol:

Mad Dog likes this.
  20. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

I finally realized that after Joe said something. Like I said, Monday morning not thinking stuff. :lol:

Ron101 likes this.