Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios) | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Just some thoughts from my brain. Both Disneyland and DHS are said to be 14 acres so would this put Stars Tours in Orlando outside this new land? I mean from what I hear, Star Tours out West is in Tommorow Land.

Something I brought up in the D23 After party podcast on Parkscope is the idea of Stark Tours coming to TL once SWL opens.

I assume both lands will be the same as a way to cut down on R&D (or however imagineering splits out design cost) and since they are both 14 acres, it seem to make sense.[

I would think that Disneyland will start construction before Orlando. This is just me being (somewhat) cynical, but I can't help but believe there is a strong business case here for the folks out West to bear the larger share of design cost here.

My understanding is the budget for DLR is already approved and ready to go. The majority of the money spent on development for a SWL in WDW is instead being used on bringing infrastructure improvements to DHS parking and transportation. DLR in 2020, WDW in 2021.

Here is my thinking...I do not know the details, but I did hear that California extended a tax breat to Disney if they spend a certain amount out there over the next 10 years or something, I really do not know the details and I have heard that they bought more land out West, so I am certain that they will have no trouble meeting their commitment (it may even be a 30 year deal)...so my thought process (again, I really do not know the details of the tax break) is that Disney, as a company, would look to save from said tax breaks by having the West Coast park bear the lions share of the design for this new land and as such, they would want to be certain to get started out West first.

Again, I am being a bit cynical, but it makes sense for business to take advantage of whatever breaks they can get.

My issue with the tax break is they're clearly playing into that way more than it affected their decision. SWL was approved and in design at DLR before the tax breaks were approved. If anything actually impacted development at DLR with the tax break it'd be Anaheim facing improvements, such as roads, parking, and green space outside of the parks.

Reactions: Frank Drackman
I'm extremely impressed with the concept art and I love how they're incorporating aspects of the old with the new. I will say however to not give a date and for Scott Trowbridge to say "its gonna take time" about 7 times during his 5 min presentation didn't help. I mean is this the new way of doing things? Announce an expansion, break ground 2 years later, and then work on construction for 3-4 years?

In the end though, I cannot wait for this to open! It will be without a doubt Disney's flagship land for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: alomar
Thanks for the info! I really do not know a lot of the tax deal Disney got, but I had read a story on it not long ago (and it sounded like a renewal of something they have had for a long time) but I was wondering if it would play into them working on bringing this out West first as folks excitement make it sound as if it is coming soon to Orlando

I think one thing a ton of people are glancing over is the star tours add ons. What a brilliant idea. Not only does it add more combinations to the already insane amount but it'll go on as the movies do so it'll always stay relevant. It's not like we'll wait years for it either, next year!!!! I can't wait to see the new flights and other such things added on soon. Oh yeah and the space mountain overlay? Awesome

The art is nice, but I'm not as fired up as others are, the details are much too vague and the fact they're okay with taking 6 years to build is beyond ridiculous. That's the time it should take to build a park, not an expansion with two attractions.

Actually, no. It seems as if whenever there is a disagreement or debate on the boards recently, you are always a part of it; usually by making a straw man argument. We've received several messages wondering if you are purposefully being contrarian for the sake of debate.

Just an FYI.
It's unfortunate people think that because I only post when I have an opinion about something. I think people are confusing me loving all parks and wanting to vary my opinion out as being "Contrarian". Also, what is wrong with debate?!? Can we not have good conversation? If I argue for something, it's because I actually believe it.

Sure, I may post some stupid stuff every once in awhile, but I can assure you that either yourself or literally anyone on the mod staff would've messaged me (or should've at least) if they were actually getting complaints at a decent rate.

Reactions: Cole and twebber55
It's unfortunate people think that because I only post when I have an opinion about something. I think people are confusing me loving all parks and wanting to vary my opinion out as being "Contrarian". Also, what is wrong with debate?!? Can we not have good conversation? If I argue for something, it's because I actually believe it.

Sure, I may post some stupid stuff every once in awhile, but I can assure you that either yourself or literally anyone on the mod staff would've messaged me (or should've at least) if they were actually getting complaints at a decent rate.

Misquoting users isn't having a debate. Your opinions can stand on your own. We're just trying to give feedback, that's all.

Jim Hill on today's Disney Dish said the two ride experiences will be some sort of Millennium Falcon simulator and a raid similar to the plot line for Rebel One.

Misquoting users isn't having a debate. Your opinions can stand on your own. We're just trying to give feedback, that's all.

Jim Hill on today's Disney Dish said the two ride experiences will be some sort of Millennium Falcon simulator and a raid similar to the plot line for Rebel One.
That doesn't line up since the ride description has the First Order and Resistance which don't exist when Rogue One takes place.

I don't even see it as misquoting though. I meant no ill will by using words he didn't actually type, but it was more just a descriptive way to try and state how it felt to me his attitude about it was.

Listen, I get it, it's "ARTIST CONCEPT ONLY". But I also am not going to get stuck up on that small thing in the midst of the announcement. When they release real concept art, then we can judge further, but for now, I just don't see Disney screwing this up. It's too big for them.

Just realizing now that no timeline was given in the announcement yesterday. :lol: Yikes. That does make me want to file it along with Nintendoland under "Theme Park Expansions Coming Eventually." Nothing to get excited about now, but happy it's finally announced.

Reactions: Cole
Are they going to call it "Blue Milk" or "Bantha Milk," I wonder. I think Bantha Milk has a better novelty than the obviously and blunt "Blue Milk." Then again...most people just call it blue milk without thinking twice. I'm tired, guys.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Not sure if this was posted but:
Iger did not provide a timetable for when the company would break ground on the Star Wars lands, nor when they would be opening. But fans will likely have to wait for a while before journeying to a galaxy far, far away: A rep for the company told BuzzFeed News that the current plan is to break ground on Disneyland’s Star Wars land by the end of 2017. That land will reside where the Big Thunder Ranch is currently located within Disneyland, as well as some areas within the park that are currently off limits to the public. The Disney rep did not, however, have a time table for the Orlando version of Star Wars land.

Are they going to call it "Blue Milk" or "Bantha Milk," I wonder. I think Bantha Milk has a better novelty than the obviously and blunt "Blue Milk." Then again...most people just call it blue milk without thinking twice. I'm tired, guys.
It sounds like we're getting both since they were brought up at the parks panel.

Disneyland Today flat out denied that it is going in Toontown recently. They stated (in agreement with the above) that it will take over all of Big Thunder Ranch as well as backstage areas.

This is the area that Robert Niles assumes it will take up:
dl-star-wars-build.jpg

Oh no big thunder ranch!!! I'm gonna miss those goats and that pervert donkey, you will be missed. But seriously that's a great place to put it besides well yknow, DCA

Oh no big thunder ranch!!! I'm gonna miss those goats and that pervert donkey, you will be missed. But seriously that's a great place to put it besides well yknow, DCA

I think they are putting Marvel at DCA. They wouldn't put both of them at the same park because they want to spread out the bigger IP based attractions so people don't just start going to only one park. Also, having them at the same park would probably cause issues logistically again due to the crowds.

Just realizing now that no timeline was given in the announcement yesterday. :lol: Yikes. That does make me want to file it along with Nintendoland under "Theme Park Expansions Coming Eventually." Nothing to get excited about now, but happy it's finally announced.

Universal will likely have Nintendo land completed and probably concept art for a third gate by the time Disney finishes SWL. Universal is on about a 2-3 year turn around it seems.

Last edited:
Also, DL isn't even breaking ground on SWL until 2017. I wonder if there is the same timeline for the DHS version?