Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios) | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Hopefully they're aiming for 2019 to coincide with Trevorrow's Episode IX, but yeah, realistically it will take 6-7 years knowing Disney

I think with a 1.5-1.8 billion budget we will see a fairly impressive product once all is said and done regardless of concept art....which I so belive will be much like was shown yesterday

I think with a 1.5-1.8 billion budget we will see a fairly impressive product once all is said and done regardless of concept art....which I so belive will be much like was shown yesterday
That is not the budget for just one land.

My favorite quote from the Star Wars announcement was "Well we're still working on the detail of the designs, but the renderings you're seeing today... they should give you a very good sense of the level of immersion...." . Meaning "we don't have any plans finalized yet but we had some artist draw these so we had something to show you even though this isn't what you're getting." I think it's safe to say this will have an Avatar timeline, 5+ years away.

Check out the quote at 6:27 on the video

I think it will take 3 years for construction the question is when does that three years start.... seeing how all the stuff that is closing is on the other side of the park TSL looks to open first and then construction would begin
my guesses TSL 2018 and SW 2021

Reactions: Mad Dog
I feel like Toy Story will open Summer 2017 to coincide with Toy Story 4, especially if Avatar doesn't open until the holidays. Even by Disney standards it's not hard to build a bare roller coaster and flat ride.

Where do you guys think they will build this land? Do you think they will eat up the SoA land or do you think they will extend into the parking lot? Or something else?

I personally hope they extend into the parking lot so it'll leave room for further expansions down the line. And with the rumblings about all the money dedicated to infrastructure with building a parking garage being one of the key things, it makes sense that they would go in that direction.

I feel like Toy Story will open Summer 2017 to coincide with Toy Story 4, especially if Avatar doesn't open until the holidays. Even by Disney standards it's not hard to build a bare roller coaster and flat ride.
I hope you re right the sooner the better
Im pretty sure avatar is still opening on time in 2017 perhaps even early 2017

OK, so the place may look like crap and the rides may suck, we get it. But for now, i'm gonna be positive and happy it's finally announced.

I do wonder on the placement of the land... I really hope the extend into the parking lot over going down and taking over SoA and down to LMA. Wastes a lot of space for future Pixar (or other) expansions.
Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see where it actually goes. There's like three different possibilities. I wander if Disney has actually decided which area to use. It seems like they wanted to make a big bang at D23 to counter all the Universal stuff and reinvigorate interest among the fan base. They may have rushed the Star Wars stuff before all the actual decisions were made.

Where do you guys think they will build this land? Do you think they will eat up the SoA land or do you think they will extend into the parking lot? Or something else?

I personally hope they extend into the parking lot so it'll leave room for further expansions down the line. And with the rumblings about all the money dedicated to infrastructure with building a parking garage being one of the key things, it makes sense that they would go in that direction.
I think it takes Indy....maybe why the flex theater is coming

Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see where it actually goes. There's like three different possibilities. I wander if Disney has actually decided which area to use. It seems like they wanted to make a big bang at D23 to counter all the Universal stuff and reinvigorate interest among the fan base. They may have rushed the Star Wars stuff before all the actual decisions were made.
The more vague the announcement the better in their eyes. That just means that they'll have all the more chances to pimp the land.

I think it takes Indy....maybe why the flex theater is coming
I thought the flex theatre was being built (which btw is VERY far along already) so that they could tear down Premiere?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rioriz
Here is what I envision happening, just a complete guess of mine:

Everything from behind Star Tours back through the Streets of America and Lights Motors Action will get the axe for Star Wars Land. I could easily see Star Tours reprogrammed so that the ride ends on this new planet, and the exit for Star Tours reconfigured so that it deposits you into the new land. For those not riding Star Tours, you will perhaps enter the land through approximately where the New York skyscraper facades are now (I'm assuming the Sci-Fi Drive-in will be safe, I'm honestly surprised they haven't used it for Star Wars Weekends already, selling a special dining experience with Star Wars characters and changing out the regular reel to show Star Wars trailers and clips).

Hugely excited for this land, but I echo Teebin's cautious words. It's a rough concept, just like the original models for Pandora. Things can, and will change. The art is a direction they are heading in, not the final address.

Also want to repeat what Skip said earlier, we're looking at six to seven years after Diagon Alley, so it will be better. You don't go to theme parks based on what's rumored and under construction, you go for what is there now.

I'm not dumb, I know you didn't say that and I knew you would have this type of reaction too (as you do whenever someone slightly misquotes you). I'm pretty sure you're the only person that thinks I "constantly misstate someone else's posts". I didn't misstake. your post. I know exactly what you said, but you definitely seemed to imply a negative attitude.

I honestly don't know why you're being so hostile, especially about a theme park land?

Actually, no. It seems as if whenever there is a disagreement or debate on the boards recently, you are always a part of it; usually by making a straw man argument. We've received several messages wondering if you are purposefully being contrarian for the sake of debate.

Just an FYI.

Just some thoughts from my brain. Both Disneyland and DHS are said to be 14 acres so would this put Stars Tours in Orlando outside this new land? I mean from what I hear, Star Tours out West is in Tommorow Land.

I assume both lands will be the same as a way to cut down on R&D (or however imagineering splits out design cost) and since they are both 14 acres, it seem to make sense.

I would think that Disneyland will start construction before Orlando. This is just me being (somewhat) cynical, but I can't help but believe there is a strong business case here for the folks out West to bear the larger share of design cost here.

Here is my thinking...I do not know the details, but I did hear that California extended a tax breat to Disney if they spend a certain amount out there over the next 10 years or something, I really do not know the details and I have heard that they bought more land out West, so I am certain that they will have no trouble meeting their commitment (it may even be a 30 year deal)...so my thought process (again, I really do not know the details of the tax break) is that Disney, as a company, would look to save from said tax breaks by having the West Coast park bear the lions share of the design for this new land and as such, they would want to be certain to get started out West first.

Again, I am being a bit cynical, but it makes sense for business to take advantage of whatever breaks they can get.