Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios) | Page 77 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Wow, they're really hyping this up. Did Universal ever hype Harry Potter like this?

I really hope they nail it.

I mean, you have to take the panel in context. It's not like Disney threw a press conference to talk about how awesome the land will be in two years. It's just part of the larger Stat Wars Celebration.

I'm troubled by how I recognize those taking heads - and even their talking points - from the New Fantasyland hype..
I'm pretty sure the acronyms they're using to describe SWL are much more exciting than those for NFL. I would watch the panel...pretty amazing stuff in there!

I'm troubled by how I recognize those taking heads - and even their talking points - from the New Fantasyland hype..

Well, I don't have many true design problems with NFL. My main issues (the length of Mine Train, size of Gaston's and Beasts castle, etc) likely all were the result of slashing budgets. Stuff would really have to hit the fan for them to gouge Star Wars at this stage (I hope...).

I enjoy Jim Hill a great deal, but if he comes in wet and tells you it's raining, it's a good idea to take a little peekski out the window.

I tracked down the source of my (incorrect) information to this article by the one, Jim Hill, back in 2007:

That's perhaps the most ironic part of this entire tale. I mean, here was the Mouse -- almost five years ago now -- trying to use Kuka arm technology to create a "Harry Potter" -themed attraction. So what happens? Not only does Disney lose the theme park rights to J.K. Rowling's characters to Universal, but then Universal goes on to lock up the theme park rights to Kuka's robotic arm technology for the next 10 years.
Monday MouseWatch : WDI hopes that its "Living Character Initiative" will make up for losing "Harry Potter" as well as Kuka's robotic arm technology

Reactions: Quint
Star-Wars-Park-Disneyland-01-CONCEPT0516.jpg

My continued worry for this land is perfectly summed up by this concept art. The only part of it that says to me in any way that 'THIS IS STAR WARS', is the familiar droids and costumed characters that compose the entirety of the crowd. The rest of it could just be Avatar, Star Trek or any other generic sci-fi landscape.

I still truly don't understand why they've not just gone for existing movie locations that people are already familiar with and wish they could visit?

Seriously, can someone photoshop those characters out for me and replace them with a crowd of mouse-ear-wearing stroller families wearing fanny packs, Brazilian tour groups in matching shirts, speeding ECV drivers etc, then tell me there is anything definitively Star Wars-like about it?

View attachment 4094

My continued worry for this land is perfectly summed up by this concept art. The only part of it that says to me in any way that 'THIS IS STAR WARS', is the familiar droids and costumed characters that compose the entirety of the crowd. The rest of it could just be Avatar, Star Trek or any other generic sci-fi landscape.

I still truly don't understand why they've not just gone for existing movie locations that people are already familiar with and wish they could visit?

Seriously, can someone photoshop those characters out for me and replace them with a crowd of mouse-ear-wearing stroller families wearing fanny packs, Brazilian tour groups in matching shirts, speeding ECV drivers etc, then tell me there is anything definitively Star Wars-like about it?

OMG, is that for Guardians of the Galaxy land????? I loved that place on the Expanse. Wait Disney is opening Star Trek land is that planet Pixiedustia for the series?

Very generic however it's not entirely Disney's fault. Most space based sci-fi films pulled their design elements from a french comic series called Valerian. That expanded because it was conceptual appropriate and visually stunning and now the most popular design for most sci-fi films.

Last edited:
View attachment 4094

I still haven't gotten my bearings on the new layout, but is that the entrance? I mean, a giant Millennium Falcon and a couple AT-ATs kinda screams Star Wars to me. The reality is Star Wars isn't Harry Potter. You don't have a Gringotts or Hogwarts Castle to build. Not that there's anything wrong with that. If this is the "Port of Entry" into the land, I don't have an issue with it. Subtly bring you into the land before you get to the icons.

Reactions: belloq87
To me this sounds as a "best off" but not a representation from anywhere from the Star Wars movie, except for the characters and vehicles. The first order and the rebels side by side. A cantina not from Mos Eisley but theme park smart, big and unrecognisable where they sell a cupcake with Vader's helmet in chocolat slammed on it. Around every corner a character meet and greet and Mickey in a Jedi costume walking around. I hope I'm wrong and this land is made for the fans like me who want to be in the Star Wars I've seen in the movies, not the characters (except for the rides) but the world.

With all of the CM's playing In-Tune with the land, costumed to play the part. I am wondering, if they are going to on that level, will they even offer Coke products in the land. Now, one would assume, potentially; but didn't JK not desire wanting Coke Products in the WWoHP because it could slightly break immersion? I am wondering, they may be very careful on what they place in the land, in-terms of food and drink options.

Reactions: Coasted
With all of the CM's playing In-Tune with the land, costumed to play the part. I am wondering, if they are going to on that level, will they even offer Coke products in the land. Now, one would assume, potentially; but didn't JK not desire wanting Coke Products in the WWoHP because it could slightly break immersion? I am wondering, they may be very careful on what they place in the land, in-terms of food and drink options.

Can you get Coke on Pandora?

I think the cynics will do a full U-turn...Pandora suffered with them a lot until the aerial construction pictures started coming through and people suddenly changed their tune from it being the most disasterous concept ever conceived to "I might actually give it a chance".

Pandora will be the greatest land in Orlando...and Star Wars will top it, imo. How Uni reacts with Potter phase 3 nad Nintendo, will be very exciting.

Reactions: Joel and Mike S
Seeing as Avatar is offering Coke. Would put good money on Star Wars doing the same.

Reactions: Coasted
Seeing as Avatar is offering Coke. Would put good money on Star Wars doing the same.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they do, it is just something that I am personally curious about in the terms of food and drink offerings.

I think the cynics will do a full U-turn...Pandora suffered with them a lot until the aerial construction pictures started coming through and people suddenly changed their tune from it being the most disasterous concept ever conceived to "I might actually give it a chance".

Pandora will be the greatest land in Orlando...and Star Wars will top it, imo. How Uni reacts with Potter phase 3 nad Nintendo, will be very exciting.

I still have doubts on Pandora. While yes, I am happy to see Animal Kingdom do SOMETHING, to the land; I sit here and still wonder why they didn't just wait. Pandora, looks aesthetically beautiful; but as we have known time and time again, beauty, is only skin deep for some things.

It's going to depend on the reliability and enjoyment factors of the rides itself, and that while I have hopes, my hopes are low.

Star Wars, will top it; and that Universal responding towards it with DCReplacement and SNW (and the Fourth Gate in the future), it's going to be an exciting time for the fan

Reactions: RevFreako
While I think Pandora will looo great. Star Wars will blow it away due to rides and interaction alone. Avatar has s short boat ride and a plussed Soarin. The two Star Wars rides sound amazing.

Reactions: Joel