Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DHS)

Ok, so I talked with a friend in the know about these questionable opening procedures and was told that the reason they are doing it is because they want the "at capacity" sign out in front of the tapstyles as early as possible because of 2 reasons. 1. The attraction is running at a low capacity. And 2. The parks capacity as a whole is pretty low and those with higher boarding groups are left wandering the park until their time is called. They want the "at capacity" signs out front early to encourage folks to go to another park instead of DHS. If they wait until the scheduled opening there would be more people who can't get on the ride in the park, and the park as a whole would be slammed.
It's really easy to hop over to Epcot from DHS now with the Skyliner in full operation. Even non hotel guests can use it. It's really a great way to park hop between DHS & Epcot. No longer are you limited to slow as molasses friendship boats or buses. Even your own car is considerably slower. Sign up for your boarding pass and then hop over to Epcot for a good meal or a few drinks. Epcot rides are mostly meh, except for a few, but, heck, you can't have everything. :)

It's really easy to hop over to Epcot from DHS now with the Skyliner in full operation. Even non hotel guests can use it. It's really a great way to park hop between DHS & Epcot. No longer are you limited to slow as molasses friendship boats or buses. Even your own car is considerably slower. Sign up for your boarding pass and then hop over to Epcot for a good meal or a few drinks. Epcot rides are mostly meh, except for a few, but, heck, you can't have everything. :)
The Skykliner IS an Epcot ride.

And thanks for the $25 parking fee.
I posted the same thing over on MAGIC and someone said that there should also be one of those lighted signs prior to the entrance of the parking lot alerting folks that the ride is at capacity. That way folks would know prior to paying the parking fee. My guess is that since the parking fee is transferable to other parks, Disney would rather have guests pay the parking fee and then instead of eating the loss on parking by going home, use it at another park.

I posted the same thing over on MAGIC and someone said that there should also be one of those lighted signs prior to the entrance of the parking lot alerting folks that the ride is at capacity. That way folks would know prior to paying the parking fee. My guess is that since the parking fee is transferable to other parks, Disney would rather have guests pay the parking fee and then instead of eating the loss on parking by going home, use it at another park.
Some evil genius stuff right there

This could be the beginning of them actually opening at the stated opening time.
They’ll probably still open around 6:30 if there’s a lot of guests already there, same as they do at Magic Kingdom when the line out front gets too long, but it’s nice to see them being a little more up front.

Even better, they changed Extra Magic Hours from morning to evening on Sunday, so no more weird confusing boarding pass issues this weekend like last.

7F5F6790-D19A-4BE2-9AFC-7BAAA00EB02C.jpeg

Even better, they changed Extra Magic Hours from morning to evening on Sunday
That's going to be an interesting experiment.

Runs counter to anything they've done with openings recently. (Morning EMH everyday for a couple months). Then again, this is the first attraction with "Boarding passes" that they've done.

It effectively makes EMH useless though. Boarding passes will be full and everyone will be in line already. So I guess you can use it for ToT/RnRC/SDD/etc.

That's going to be an interesting experiment.

Runs counter to anything they've done with openings recently. (Morning EMH everyday for a couple months). Then again, this is the first attraction with "Boarding passes" that they've done.

It effectively makes EMH useless though. Boarding passes will be full and everyone will be in line already. So I guess you can use it for ToT/RnRC/SDD/etc.
They aren't going to run RotR for EMH.

Until they do. They are making it up as they go.

Which is understandable since they are new at this whole theme park thing. They'll figure it out.

I think that the problem with boarding passes that have no times is uncertainty. The problem is that DHS is a small park with not as many attractions or high capacity rides, so you are left to wait for hours on end (not knowing until when you will be able to ride ROTR), also waiting in very long lines for Toy Story Land or the other E tickets and then being left with nothing to do or the ability to park hop because you don't know if your boarding group will be called, adding to the fact that park hopping can take to up an hour. So you might have hours with nothing to do, or to wait two hours yet again to ride something else. I think it's just bad management not to handle it like fastpasses (Disneyland style) where you get your "come back" time and then you decide if you park hop or you brave the lines of the other low capacity E-Ticket rides.
Disneyland can get very crowded and get long wait times for E Tickets, but you don't get as frustrated because the more egalitarian fastpasses make up for it. Yes, you might wait an hour or an hour and a half for Indy, but you got your Space Mountain fastpass or viceversa. Even in a crowded day you can ride 4 to 5 rides with fastpass. There has to be a better way for DHS

I think that the problem with boarding passes that have no times is uncertainty. The problem is that DHS is a small park with not as many attractions or high capacity rides, so you are left to wait for hours on end (not knowing until when you will be able to ride ROTR), also waiting in very long lines for Toy Story Land or the other E tickets and then being left with nothing to do or the ability to park hop because you don't know if your boarding group will be called, adding to the fact that park hopping can take to up an hour. So you might have hours with nothing to do, or to wait two hours yet again to ride something else. I think it's just bad management not to handle it like fastpasses (Disneyland style) where you get your "come back" time and then you decide if you park hop or you brave the lines of the other low capacity E-Ticket rides.
Disneyland can get very crowded and get long wait times for E Tickets, but you don't get as frustrated because the more egalitarian fastpasses make up for it. Yes, you might wait an hour or an hour and a half for Indy, but you got your Space Mountain fastpass or viceversa. Even in a crowded day you can ride 4 to 5 rides with fastpass. There has to be a better way for DHS
DHS actually has quite a few pretty high capacity attractions. Star Tours (DHS' is a huge people eater), ToT, TSM, MF:SR all are at 1800/hour or higher. Once Rise sorts out it's issues and gets to full capacity, it should be there as well and MMRR is expected to be a pretty high capacity ride. The only problem with the park is too few rides.

I understand why it would be better for the guest, but Group 30 can be called around 10AM one day and 3PM the next. With how unpredictably this new ride is running, there's no way they could possibly have any idea when to tell you to return, which is why they're doing it this way.

I've seen a lot of locals just go home and wait for their boarding group to be called to come back. And at least you have a two-hour window to return, so you should be able to get into line for any other attraction, even Toy Story Mania or Slinky Dog Dash, and still have time to make it over if you group is called without having to jump out of line.

It may not be the best park to have to spend time in while you wait, but I'd rather be free to wander around and sit and have a drink than stand in a 10-hour line having to pee all day. :shrug:

Hopefully they get the ride running tip-top soon so it can just go to normal operation in a few weeks.

I understand why it would be better for the guest, but Group 30 can be called around 10AM one day and 3PM the next. With how unpredictably this new ride is running, there's no way they could possibly have any idea when to tell you to return, which is why they're doing it this way.

I've seen a lot of locals just go home and wait for their boarding group to be called to come back. And at least you have a two-hour window to return, so you should be able to get into line for any other attraction, even Toy Story Mania or Slinky Dog Dash, and still have time to make it over if you group is called without having to jump out of line.

It may not be the best park to have to spend time in while you wait, but I'd rather be free to wander around and sit and have a drink than stand in a 10-hour line having to pee all day. :shrug:

Hopefully they get the ride running tip-top soon so it can just go to normal operation in a few weeks.
Guests also have the option of going to Epcot (or any other park), too. Epcot just makes the most sense since there's two modes of transit coming from the back of the park AND you can walk if you want. So if you have one of the later numbers, you could spend a day split between DHS and Epcot and once your number is called, you still have two hours to get back.

Morning drinking? Ummm, we'll just call it Brunch at Baseline. Pretzels and Beer at 10am :rock:. I'm in!

So here's a thought... If DHS is busier now than normal because people are just sort of milling around, riding rides, buying food, shopping, whatever while waiting for their time on Rise, is there a chance that they just decide to continue the VQ? If the park is busier overall because of the system, i'd think it'd be a tempting thing to look at knowing Disney.