Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DHS)

MF:SR had it's fair share of issues, but because it has 4 separate turntables with multiple pods on each turntable, they could take individual pods and even whole turntables offline while keeping the attraction open. The light crowds also helped mask the issues.

Hagrid's is running fairly smoothly already.

Which is why i booked my trip! Crossing fingers

So a few updates from WDWMagic Insiders:

-ATs ATs heads do not move. Storm troopers in that scene seem to be screen based, or at least some are screen based. Will depend on which pod you use and the view you get.

- The lightsaber effect was described as "Cheesy" from someone who's rode it 10x already. "Cheesy" is the last thing I wanted to hear about that scene. I didn't expect it to be near what the commercial did but thats not the response I was expecting/hoping for.

- Might rival Hagrid's in terms of downtime at opening. Still having wifi and elevator issues it seems.

Who knows if all this is true, but we shall see. At this point I'm worried there is simply too much pressure on this ride to completely blow our minds that a lot of people are just going to be disappointed. Who knows, but I'm getting more and more worried about this ride each day. Excited to ride it nonetheless, but Im not sure it'll be the savior everyone thinks it will be for this land. I just worry if it doesn't hit the mark that Disney won't bother with doing anything innovative or new other than whats already announced. Just don't want another dry spell again like we've had recently.

-ATs ATs heads do not move. Storm troopers in that scene seem to be screen based, or at least some are screen based. Will depend on which pod you use and the view you get.

- The lightsaber effect was described as "Cheesy" from someone who's rode it 10x already. "Cheesy" is the last thing I wanted to hear about that scene. I didn't expect it to be near what the commercial did but thats not the response I was expecting/hoping for.

- Might rival Hagrid's in terms of downtime at opening. Still having wifi and elevator issues it seems.

Who knows if all this is true, but we shall see. At this point I'm worried there is simply too much pressure on this ride to completely blow our minds that a lot of people are just going to be disappointed. Who knows, but I'm getting more and more worried about this ride each day. Excited to ride it nonetheless, but Im not sure it'll be the savior everyone thinks it will be for this land. I just worry if it doesn't hit the mark that Disney won't bother with doing anything innovative or new other than whats already announced. Just don't want another dry spell again like we've had recently.
The AT AT head thing was known from the construction shots. We could see them fully welded in place.

The more I hear, the more interested I'm going to be about the reaction...

Oh, this thing will make every Disney fan who joked/complained/"Disney would never!" about Hagrid eat all the crows in the orlando area.

Here's some other tidbits I'll share.
  • One major Kylo AA figure in the ride and it's impressive from what I've heard
  • The laser blast effects are going to blow people away
  • The ride vehicles are slower than anticipated

The more I hear, the more interested I'm going to be about the reaction...

I mean considering how people have placed so great of expectations on this one ride to save a billion dollar land they all thought would be the best thing since sex there will be people let down even if it's a top 3 ride at the resort.

My expectations for this have been gradually settling back to the ground from the moment Martin compared it to Ratatouille.

I am now expecting Spider-Man 3.o. More simulator than not. If I come off it thinking it's cracked my "Top 10 Rides in Orlando" list, I'll consider that a win (for me).

My expectations for this have been gradually settling back to the ground from the moment Martin compared it to Ratatouille.

I am now expecting Spider-Man 3.o. More simulator than not. If I come off it thinking it's cracked my "Top 10 Rides in Orlando" list, I'll consider that a win (for me).

What the heck were your expectations to being with? It's a trackless ride with motion enabled vehicles designed by the guy who headed the UC team behind Spider-Man.

Given that we were already getting a pure simulator with Smuggler's Run, my expectations were that Rise was going to be less screen-dependent than it appears it's going to be. I was hoping for something more like a souped-up Mystic Manor. Lots of AAs, lots of physical effects, projection mapping, and a minimal amount of moments where we're just staring at a screen simulating the action.

Given that we were already getting a pure simulator with Smuggler's Run, my expectations were that Rise was going to be less screen-dependent than it appears it's going to be. I was hoping for something more like a souped-up Mystic Manor. Lots of AAs, lots of physical effects, projection mapping, and a minimal amount of moments where we're just staring at a screen simulating the action.

Sounds like the simulator is just the end.

Oh, this thing will make every Disney fan who joked/complained/"Disney would never!" about Hagrid eat all the crows in the orlando area.

Ya, I can't wait for the people on Magic who constantly, and still to this day, make jokes about Hagrid's not being open ever. I typically don't like that kind of revengeness feeling but oh man honestly it might taste good if this thing closes one day before or after Christmas. Im not rooting for that for the rides success purposes, but part of me will be happy knowing those fans get a taste of their own medicine.

I have 1 source at Disney and they've also mentioned the Kylo AA being amazing. Says its had no issues that they know of, although I'm not sure how often they're working on Rise or are at Rise, but I heard this just last week from him. They don't know I'm on forums at all or anything so I haven't heard anything about its operations, as they likely don't want to share anything negative about it nor do I bother asking. I'll try and ask before this thing opens what his prediction is. Id assume he's ridden but he's not willing to fully disclose.

Im expecting Pirates, but dark ride, and Star Wars themed. Cohesive story, some scenes with incredible action, a few scenes not as exciting, overall an A-/B+ experience from Disney. I really think it will be important to judge this attraction as a whole though once all is said and done. Just because there's a bunch more pre shows doesn't necessarily make things more immersive, Disney. Lets see how they play out however. Hoping the ride time itself is over 5 minutes. Still can't get over Chapek said its 15 min long lol.

Might rival Hagrid's in terms of downtime :lol:

The Kylo AA should be impressive. There’s a projection mapping effect that might blow us away. The laser blasts are going to be incredible, yet deceptively simple to accomplish. The ending will be thrilling. The story seems exciting.

But. There’s not much more to the layout of this thing than most people already kind of know, just from concept art, photos and teaser commercials. That, coupled with rumors of its long length, will undoubtedly lead to tremendous amounts of “That was short” being uttered as people exit.

The Kylo AA should be impressive. There’s a projection mapping effect that might blow us away. The laser blasts are going to be incredible, yet deceptively simple to accomplish. The ending will be thrilling. The story seems exciting.

But. There’s not much more to the layout of this thing than most people already kind of know, just from concept art, photos and teaser commercials. That, coupled with rumors of its long length, will undoubtedly lead to tremendous amounts of “That was short” being uttered as people exit.
Ya this is where I'm at. Sounds like a fun ride honestly but maybe not THE best in the world like some have been hoping for. Sounds really fun to me.

I mean considering how people have placed so great of expectations on this one ride to save a billion dollar land they all thought would be the best thing since sex there will be people let down even if it's a top 3 ride at the resort.
And, strangely, one major AA and slow ride vehicles shouldn't really surprise anyone.

I think people are expecting Spiderman, when they're going to get something more akin to Na'vi River Journey with a drop chamber.

The sense I've gotten from the laser blasts is just light beams and a good haze. Like a rock concert. I kinda hope it's more than that though.

The sense I've gotten from the laser blasts is just light beams and a good haze. Like a rock concert. I kinda hope it's more than that though.

It's going to be even simpler than that if what I heard is true, but I still think it will be cool looking.

My big issue with the ride from day 1 has been the choice of the trackless cars. They just kind of putter along, and I think the ride vehicles for this should have more dynamic movement.

That being said I still expect this to be a top 5 WDW ride.

I think another thing to keep in mind is that the ride isn’t finished, and these test runs are partially to ensure that the effects look as convincing as they can when it actually opens.

The lightsaber looking cheesy could be the result of poor lighting in that room, or how the prop is lit, etc. Things like that can and will be tweaked as much as is reasonably possible.

I think another thing to keep in mind is that the ride isn’t finished, and these test runs are partially to ensure that the effects look as convincing as they can when it actually opens.

The lightsaber looking cheesy could be the result of poor lighting in that room, or how the prop is lit, etc. Things like that can and will be tweaked as much as is reasonably possible.
It opens in three weeks. We're passed "fixing" and moving into "panic."