Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DHS)

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this question, but regardless I think this will be relatively spoiler free..
Is the squinching effect as impressive as it appears? I just can’t get over the windows and how much “depth” they get.
Does anyone have a guess at how far away the screens are to really sell that? I imagine it’s not as close as say, hogwarts express, but then FoP screen was so big I couldn’t even register the scale.

Fourth time today? Half capacity? How was anything I said wrong? Whatever, I had a Hagrid update and this isn’t worth it anymore.

Boarding passes were not communicated to anyone in the park so people were lined up and didn’t know.

:'(

c’mon man. Dial it back a bit. It’s coming across a little too confrontational
“Im right I’m right I’m right!!! It was a disaster! I’m right! :'(“

I know he’s a mod and your bud, but thats how I read Joe’s post, Brian. If that’s salty, just go ahead and call me Morton.

Interesting enough, the downtime between Hagrid and Rise was close (I think Hagrid HRC was around 600-700, while Rise is reportedly around 800). The virtual queue definitely helped, allowing people to enjoy the rest of the park; and Disney’s response to any hiccup was A+. Goes to show how much the optics can impact perception of it all.

Despite the hidden factors there are clearly a lot of upset guests who arrived just 30 mins after scheduled park opening who weren’t even allowed the queue to ride. It was great for people like me that got here at 4am. Got on twice. Even got to ride ToT and Rockin at 6am.

There are a lot of downtimes too, but they’re easy to hide as no one knows when their boarding pass number will be called anyway. If they had used set return times it would’ve been a disaster, and that’s a brilliant move for sure.

Not sure if what Universal did for Hagrid, or what Disney for this is better. They both accomplished different goals. They both make the rides look successful. They both have winners and losers. As with everything when it comes to these companies, they just do things differently.

Also, it’s still just as good on round two. I’m heading home now and I had a blast.
I saw this coming. Two things they could've communicated better:

1.) If the park was gonna open at 6am instead of 8, have the park opening time be 6am.

2.) They didn't tell anyone about the boarding passes until the last minute. I had to work yesterday, but I was fully willing to wait 4 hours if I had to to just to RotR and then leave. Now I realize with the down times and unreliability of of knowing how long it would last until the next breakdown made for a smart move to go to the virtual system as it 100% hid any breakdowns. It just sucks that - almost EVERYONE who arrived during normal park hours didn't get on this thing because boarding passes were gone 30 minutes into official park opening.

I saw this coming. Two things they could've communicated better:

1.) If the park was gonna open at 6am instead of 8, have the park opening time be 6am.

2.) They didn't tell anyone about the boarding passes until the last minute. I had to work yesterday, but I was fully willing to wait 4 hours if I had to to just to RotR and then leave. Now I realize with the down times and unreliability of of knowing how long it would last until the next breakdown made for a smart move to go to the virtual system as it 100% hid any breakdowns. It just sucks that - almost EVERYONE who arrived during normal park hours didn't get on this thing because boarding passes were gone 30 minutes into official park opening.
Its already open today too... must have opened at 6am again - they're already up to boarding group 17. (Yesterday's downtimes weren't bad at all for an opening day.. 4 total, 3 about 15 minutes and one for an hour.)
If I'd known they were opening early again I'd definitely have gone for round 2

You have to wonder what the Overall initial reaction would be if both rides and the land opened today. I think the headlines and blog talk would have been much more forgiving.

I mean, they could have used the extra time to create a proper stunt show and more street performance.

Instead they opened too soon, which has caused all sorts of problems.

Without even riding Rise yet, I think it would've helped - but who knows with certain folk. :lol:
Yeah, the reception to the land would've been far better. Smugglers Run would've been seen as a nice secondary attraction and Rise as the obvious blockbuster attraction. The land still has it's issues, but I concede opening together would've helped immensely.

However, there was only a three month window between the land opening and Rise. Years from now, nobody is gonna care that the land opened first. I think the bigger problem is in Disneyland where there's about 8 months between openings.

How does this help AP holders?
I'm an AP holder and while I would probably got to Guest Relations and press them on this since I already have admission to the park, if I had to settle, I could. Especially since I have a Gold pass, which means i'm blocked out for the holidays (I enjoy going to Epcot on NYE like a crazy person).

Yeah, the reception to the land would've been far better. Smugglers Run would've been seen as a nice secondary attraction and Rise as the obvious blockbuster attraction. The land still has it's issues, but I concede opening together would've helped immensely.

However, there was only a three month window between the land opening and Rise. Years from now, nobody is gonna care that the land opened first. I think the bigger problem is in Disneyland where there's about 8 months between openings.

I'm an AP holder and while I would probably got to Guest Relations and press them on this since I already have admission to the park, if I had to settle, I could. Especially since I have a Gold pass, which means i'm blocked out for the holidays (I enjoy going to Epcot on NYE like a crazy person).
I didn't think about Black Out Dates. That's a good answer.

And apparently the ride opened around 6am today, and around 7am it went down. So issues continue.

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this question, but regardless I think this will be relatively spoiler free..
Is the squinching effect as impressive as it appears? I just can’t get over the windows and how much “depth” they get.
Does anyone have a guess at how far away the screens are to really sell that? I imagine it’s not as close as say, hogwarts express, but then FoP screen was so big I couldn’t even register the scale.
The only time I even noticed a squinch effect was pulling into the escape pods, and that’s cause you’re heading directly towards a screen.

On my second ride I tried to figure out screen depth and the gunner room is the closest you get to any windows. As far as I can tell the space projections are set pretty far back, at least in that scene. But the screen curves on the sides and top and bottom. Think of it as a gigantic Hogwarts Express window, with the curved edges to create an endless effect (except the window cutouts here have no window panes of glass).

For the gunner scene it was one giant screen behind all of the several windows, not one per window, and it was set back maybe 10 to 20 feet at its deepest point, which was far enough back that I couldn’t even tell if squishing and squashing effects were even in use.

The screens use a new type of HDR so the blacks are perfectly black, even though the rooms themselves are fairly well lit. This helps to hide any shape or definition of the screen curve, as well as hide the distance of the screen from the viewer. It’s pretty impressive overall.

It reached capacity for the day at 8:11am this morning.
I think the only issue is just them not announcing to get here at 6:00 am if you want to ride. Other than that this is the best they can possibly do, I give them props they seem to be handling it very well. Too bad though for anyone heading over today.

I think the only issue is just them not announcing to get here at 6:00 am if you want to ride. Other than that this is the best they can possibly do, I give them props they seem to be handling it very well. Too bad though for anyone heading over today.
The park isn’t even open and the ride is at capacity - with a LOT of folks who are doing re-rides.

it’s very shitty.

It reached capacity for the day at 8:11am this morning.
And this is what we call the BS. Like a clown I thought with opening day being over it wouldn’t be as crazy today to get a boarding pass. Looks like they went quicker today.

Its truly all hotel guests booking this up as people coming from the gondola or buses have a large advantage. When I got to the park at 9-ish yesterday, the parking lot was pretty dead, but the ride already maxed for the day.

It’s a no win for Disney. If they announce a 6am open in advance, then people will line up at 4-5am instead. At some point, they need to open to get people safely out of every building crowds at the entrance.

Magic Kingdom opens every day prior to the “official opening” to get people into the park.

I expect the quick ride sell outs to end once they get operations under control. They are clearly going to limit boarding groups to a number the feel confident can get through, and adjust as the day goes on (going smooth, release more).

likely the best way to go after seeing new rides struggle at all parks. The luxury (I would say necessity) of ample testing time might be a thing of the past - but at least has been for this, hagrid’s and gringotts recently (but was even worse for test track).

And this is what we call the BS. Like a clown I thought with opening day being over it wouldn’t be as crazy today to get a boarding pass. Looks like they went quicker today.

Its truly all hotel guests booking this up as people coming from the gondola or buses have a large advantage. When I got to the park at 9-ish yesterday, the parking lot was pretty dead, but the ride already maxed for the day.
Doesn't help that I am certain they had to have given away less boarding passes today than yesterday, not just because they gave away too many yesterday, but maybe to compensate for all the FPs they gave away last night coming back today.

It’s a no win for Disney. If they announce a 6am open in advance, then people will line up at 4-5am instead. At some point, they need to open to get people safely out of every building crowds at the entrance.

Magic Kingdom opens every day prior to the “official opening” to get people into the park.

I expect the quick ride sell outs to end once they get operations under control. They are clearly going to limit boarding groups to a number the feel confident can get through, and adjust as the day goes on (going smooth, release more).

likely the best way to go after seeing new rides struggle at all parks. The luxury (I would say necessity) of ample testing time might be a thing of the past - but at least has been for this, hagrid’s and gringotts recently (but was even worse for test track).
I think an easy fix for that is to let people waiting early in, but not allow them to book their Boarding Pass until later. It would discourage early arrival and even the playing field.

Of course it would piss off anyone that arrived super early. So, really, no matter what Disney does it will upset someone, unfortunately.