Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DHS)

I'm honestly going to disagree here a bit. They may still deliver a decent amount at those attractions, but it's totally hit or miss at this point. Just last week while waiting for Rise, I rode Tower and not one single CM I passed was in character. Greeter position was chatting with the other greeter. The merge position just rushed everyone into the preshow. The load position gave the most half-hearted spiel I've ever seen. And this is not rare for me to experience.

Same thing goes with Potter attractions. When Hogsmeade first opened, that land was full of heart and Potter-obsessed nerds running the place. It doesn't quite have that same touch anymore.

I still don't mean any of this as a slight to the ops CMs. It just feels like an unfortunate inevitability for any given attraction eventually and is part of why I try to experience these new things while they're still fresh to everyone including the CMs.
As is with most things...The CMs used to act creepy on Mummy as well

At some point the switch flips and it becomes a focus on operations/capacity first.

To be honest I really don't care how well cast members act...Just be friendly and let the ride tell the story

As is with most things...The CMs used to act creepy on Mummy as well

At some point the switch flips and it becomes a focus on operations/capacity first.

To be honest I really don't care how well cast members act...Just be friendly and let the ride tell the story

Unfortunately, this is accurate.

I wouldn't say it's something I overly care about. I do feel like it plays a bigger role on some attractions more than others though with this being a prime example. The ride is great and all, but the full-on experience is really what makes Rise shine imo. I'm not even complaining or anything and I likely had bad timing even. It's just something that stood out to me that actually did impact my enjoyment compared to my first ride. I've always strayed more towards people-driven attractions too though, so it could also be a bit of a personal preference thing. :shrug:

At what point does staying in "character" impact the actually guest experience. Is calling money "credits" any better than just saying $13.99? What's better: having a CM awkwardly talk to you about being on Batuu their whole lives or making small joke to someone wearing a Pats shirt and saying "Ah yeah Belichick would fit right into the First Order!" What about awkwardly carrying a box on your back as "being in character" or offering actual guest experience improvements?

At some point the actual guest experience needs to outweigh what creatives think guests want.

I'm probably in the minority but I think it's demeaning how some castmembers/teammembers are forced to act during their long shift. If you have to run a ride, make sure guests are safe and deal with complaints and other unpleasant behavior you have your hands full. Staying polite and show a smile is the only thing I would ask a theme park worker to "act".
I've done some professional acting and doing a 2-3 hour performance is very demanding. Leave the acting to the professionals, leave operating a ride with all the responsibilities that go along with it to the ride operators.

Last edited:
You guys are acting like they need to be classically trained. All the First Order Cast Members need to do is say “This way to your interrogation” instead of “fill in all the available space” and not smile. It worked fine for Haunted Mansion for 40 years, I think they can handle it. If they choose to go all in and make it their own that’s fine, but pretty much not smiling and pretending they’re on a spaceship is sufficient.

You guys are acting like they need to be classically trained. All the First Order Cast Members need to do is say “This way to your interrogation” instead of “fill in all the available space” and not smile. It worked fine for Haunted Mansion for 40 years, I think they can handle it. If they choose to go all in and make it their own that’s fine, but pretty much not smiling and pretending they’re on a spaceship is sufficient.

Agreed. Some do more than most, and it’s awesome - but I’m happy if the majority just ride with that smarmy First Order attitude.

Yeaaaaah just want to reiterate that there wasn't even that this morning when I rode for the most part. I'm not expecting a spectacle by any means, I swear :lol:

Jungle Cruise: hold my beer :D
Thats a spieling ride so it’s completely different than a normal attraction ops role.

Jungle Cruise and the GMR work(ed) ONLY because the rides were RELIANT on CMs being in character. If not there was no ride.

Also, it’s not like Disney doesn’t have people lining up that actually *want* to be Jungle Cruise skippers.

Haunted Mansion and Tower of Terror Cast Members still do a great job in keeping the theme.

I agree the land needs real Entertainment, but I think the First Order CMs in Rise can keep up not smiling and being pretend rude forever just fine.

Exactly! Not too difficult to just keep a straight face and be snippy at Guests. One of the only times you can do that, so I’d say take advantage! :lol:

Right! Not too difficult at all by any means. You can still ensure Guest safety and efficiency and stay generally within character. It’s truly not a lot to ask. This attraction is an all-encompassing experience and if some cast members aren’t ready to stay on script and operate the attraction simultaneously, then maybe they just need more time to train. Hey

this attraction is truly next-level in the way that it immerses Guests from the first preshow to unloading. Keeping that up will continue to thrill Guests and leave them with that “Oh my God what just happened?” kind of experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

That's now what the head of Parks, Resorts, and whatever thinks or says.

Important to keep in mind for Nighttime EMH next year:

Now of course, this doesn't mean that the ride ultimately won't operate, but they aren't guaranteeing it's operation. In all likelihood though, it truly won't run, as they techs need all the time they can get with this ride in order to get the ride running smoothly and as intended. This is very similar to how Hagrid operated over the summer and to some extent, even to this day.

Important to keep in mind for Nighttime EMH next year:

Now of course, this doesn't mean that the ride ultimately won't operate, but they aren't guaranteeing it's operation. In all likelihood though, it truly won't run, as they techs need all the time they can get with this ride in order to get the ride running smoothly and as intended. This is very similar to how Hagrid operated over the summer and to some extent, even to this day.

It’s a shame a popular Disney site posted the exact opposite yesterday, and didn’t issue a correction, getting people’s hopes up.

Ridiculous crowds today. 5:37 am and the line is stretching way behind the ticket booths. Compared to last week today when we got in line at 6:15 and were about 30 people from the front of the line! :bigeye::faint:

EDIT: Somehow managed to get Group 34??

Last edited:
Park just opened at 6:20. Got to the park later than I wanted at about 5:50.

EDIT: Got Boarding Group 73.

Last edited: