Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DHS)

I like him in everything but Star Wars ironically
Oh dude he's like my favorite actor. I think he's great in Star Wars for what the scripts gave him. He transforms himself very well into whichever character he is playing. Without spoiling Rise of Skywalker, he does this exceptionally.

I also had the pleasure of seeing Driver on broadway last spring in Burn This, where he played a very eccentric and wild character. Not something I think most would expect from him. I think he's one of the best working today.

Oh dude he's like my favorite actor. I think he's great in Star Wars for what the scripts gave him. He transforms himself very well into whichever character he is playing. Without spoiling Rise of Skywalker, he does this exceptionally.

I also had the pleasure of seeing Driver on broadway last spring in Burn This, where he played a very eccentric and wild character. Not something I think most would expect from him. I think he's one of the best working today.
He's the best part of the new trilogy, but that's a terrible bar to set

And Marriage Story is a much better showcase of his skill

Wait, isn't this about Rise of the Resistance :lol:

Adam Driver would probably laugh and spit in Disney's face if they asked to make an AA of him. He doesn't even like watching his own movies, he would NEVER allow a robot of himself to exist.
I think that would depend on the contract. I'm sure if Disney wanted to, its in there. (They are notorious for not giving people control over stuff)

I think the mask just worked better, but I do think that if they wanted to, they could've easily done an AA with Driver's face. Just look at what Universal just did with Hagrid. This isn't the 90's anymore where we're getting janky Ellen AA's. Animatronics are so advanced now that i'm fairly sure it could've worked. Hell, there's a Finn AA in the ride with an uncovered face.

Just to give some perspective to how convincing the Fin AA is, I thought it was a live look-a-like actor who was playing him. I didn’t even realize it was an AA till reading the forum the next day.

I'm sure Adam Driver and everyone else involved in the current Star Wars movies and other projects has signed their likenesses away before they could sign on to the projects. Disney would never miss an opportunity to sell merchandise with character likenesses, or use them in any other way they see fit.

I think the mask just worked better, but I do think that if they wanted to, they could've easily done an AA with Driver's face. Just look at what Universal just did with Hagrid. This isn't the 90's anymore where we're getting janky Ellen AA's. Animatronics are so advanced now that i'm fairly sure it could've worked. Hell, there's a Finn AA in the ride with an uncovered face.
The mask is more menacing IMO, I'm sure they could do an AA of his face (see Finn)

But Adam Driver is not exactly threatening

Everyone remember when he took off his mask in The Force Awakens? I heard audible giggles in my theater

OK....so I've digested my ride experience from yesterday.

The good:

1. LOVE the I-TS transport scene. This felt very realistic. Lieutenant Bek animatronic was the best on the ride IMO.

2. Trackless ride vehicles....AWESOME!

3. The turbo gun scene where vehicles go between them as they fire....very cool.

4. Climatic scene with drop effect....INCREDIBLE.

5. CMs did a great job staying in character while also having to manage the guest experience.

The "disappointments" (I hesitate to use the word "bad" because this is an incredibly complex ride and some of it may not have been working 100%)

1. The Star Destroyer hangar....while visually impressive in scope and size....it just seemed like an area where guests get a bit confused and everyone just mills about until they are shuffled off to the next scene. I might be in the minority here...but I am over the Stormtroopers. They looked like a bunch of stationary statues with little or no movement. I'm sure that this room cost a fortune....nor sure it was money well spent.

2. Other animatronic figures....a bit disappointing.

I'm sure I've missed some stuff.....but this is what I am remembering right now after my first ride. I'm sure my opinion will change after more rides on this....hopefully one more before we leave.

I might be in the minority here...but I am over the Stormtroopers. They looked like a bunch of stationary statues with little or no movement.

That's because they are (and I agree with you). I was so quickly through that scene they could have easily not have moved and I wouldn't have noticed.

See that is THE moment for me with the ride. That door opens and there stand a bagillon Stormtroops with that backdrop. Simply Incredible.
I agree. Would it have been cooler if there was at least a few that had more movement? Sure. But it’s such a great “wow” moment that it doesn’t matter. I knew it was coming and still got chills when the door opened.

Every watch a bunch of troops in formation? They shift their weight. Look around. Cough.

The movement that’s there isn’t enough to see across the room. They should’ve/could’ve done more.

See that is THE moment for me with the ride. That door opens and there stand a bagillon Stormtroops with that backdrop. Simply Incredible.

Don't get me wrong.....it was impressive and a spectacular set piece. But beyond the initial reveal & eye candy.....it didn't do much for me. And I'm just not into Stormtroopers.....obviously someone at Disney is though.

I knew what that hangar scene was going to be, and had seen a few photos, but was totally unprepared for the scale of it in person. A stunning theme park moment, and a fantastic prelude for the ride to come.

Some more thoughts on Rise, copy and pasted from my Twitter:

-The boarding group system suuuuucks. I lucked out, sure. But having to get your entire party there at 6:30 for a non guaranteed chance at riding blows. Especially when the weather was what it was Saturday.
-The data pad mission for the ride, at least the Resistance one, feels invaluable at making the experience complete. Helping Finn get through the Star Destroyer and doing a few other things that come to fruition for the ride is just awesome
-The first preshow is a bit overly expositiony. The BB-8 AA is very nice, and the Rey hologram is an awesome effect in person.
-The second preshow though is the best thing about the attraction. The troop transport sequence feels like Star Wars through and through. The AA is incredible, the illusion of being in the space battle, and the score is all top notch. It really makes you feel like you’re in the moment, and nothing that follows can match it.
-The Star Destroyer hangar is...fine. It’s a great picture, but it’s just too static for my tastes. The troopers feel like they’re statues, not living, breathing humans. They just needed to amp up the movement a bit in this room.
-I like the interaction with the First Order members before the interrogation room. I like the effect in that room too.
-Then the ride starts. It’s a great ride, don’t get me wrong, but I feel like the ride starts off strong and kind of fizzles a bit after you go up the elevator
-The AT-AT room, the troopers firing on you, etc, is all super exciting. But once Kylo comes in i feel like the action loses all momentum until the escape pod.
-The Kylo AAs are nice...but idk, I’m just not blown away by them, and they’re asked to do some heavy lifting
-The escape pod is definitely a cool thing that *ahem* SUBVERTS EXPECTATIONS in a way that really works.
-All in all, the ride is great, but the whole experience is what makes the attraction a top flight theme park must do
-Rise is the complete package I wish Star Wars Land as a whole was. It’s where your actions on the data pad *feel relevant* to the larger story, and that larger story has a payoff.
-If the land had shows that made the other data pad missions pay off, it would be great

I also agree that there's something a little bit off about the Kylo AAs, but I much prefer having them to the alternative.

The moment where the pieces of the set come down around him is pretty impressive, I will say.