Star Wars: The Last Jedi | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I loved it. Loved how it constantly surprised me.
My biggest issue was Finn & Rose's side story. It felt out of place and the planet they visited seemed too far grounded in reality than a galaxy far away. The only part I did like about it was how it expanded the universe a bit in that it made you realize that the First Order and Resistance aren't the only people out there... there's a bunch of slime balls that sell weapons to them, too.

SPOILER TIME

Let's start with the positives.

It's a beautifully shot film, probably the best Star Wars film from that perspective. There's a lot to like - in terms of story progression with certain characters. The growth of Rey and Kylo was done well, as well as furthering their connection. Luke's character arc was great, even connecting to the original trilogy that he was still learning how to be a Jedi himself.

Leia was serviceable, but THAT scene was a little much. Poe had a nice arc as well. The opening scene and the last hour or so were great.

My biggest issue with this movie is the middle parts of it - which is what really bogs it down; or basically all of Finn. He always felt like the forced character of the new "trio" during Ep 7. His role in the movie feels even more forced, as it screams "Hey, we need to give him something to do, too!". Basically, we could have done without Rose. The worst part of it all is ultimately - this quest, which does take quite a bit of time, leads to nowhere except an excuse to be on the ship for a showdown with Phasma; who is useless again.

Although Luke's story was good - I selfishly did want to see what he could do with a lightsaber one more time as a Master.... but I get why we didn't. It probably serves the story better overall, but :cry:

Now, the trilogy is not done so this kinda gets a pass but some more problems come from unanswered questions that could end up being ignored by trilogy's end.

Snoke. Really? We start getting a glimpse of what he can do and he's out. I feel the villains of this new trilogy have been pretty weak, save for Kylo - who even at times isn't an outright baddie until the very end. Anywho.. we still don't know who Snoke is, why he became Supreme guy, or much else except he's pretty good at the Force and lured Kylo.

Rey's lineage/importance. There was some setup in Ep 7 where some of the characters made a mention that Rey may be more important than she realizes besides being strong in the Force. In Ep 8, turns out she's just good at the Force and her parents sold her off because they were scumbags. Could be a swerve until the next one?

Finn. Again. For someone who was conditioned/brain washed to be a Storm Trooper, it would've been nice to explore what made the lightbulb switch for him specifically except a "just cuz it's wrong". It seemed like they started to go down that path a bit with DJ on the "who really is good?" scenes, but ends up no where.

Reactions: SeventyOne and Nick
SPOILER TIME

Let's start with the positives.

It's a beautifully shot film, probably the best Star Wars film from that perspective. There's a lot to like - in terms of story progression with certain characters. The growth of Rey and Kylo was done well, as well as furthering their connection. Luke's character arc was great, even connecting to the original trilogy that he was still learning how to be a Jedi himself.

Leia was serviceable, but THAT scene was a little much. Poe had a nice arc as well. The opening scene and the last hour or so were great.

My biggest issue with this movie is the middle parts of it - which is what really bogs it down; or basically all of Finn. He always felt like the forced character of the new "trio" during Ep 7. His role in the movie feels even more forced, as it screams "Hey, we need to give him something to do, too!". Basically, we could have done without Rose. The worst part of it all is ultimately - this quest, which does take quite a bit of time, leads to nowhere except an excuse to be on the ship for a showdown with Phasma; who is useless again.

Although Luke's story was good - I selfishly did want to see what he could do with a lightsaber one more time as a Master.... but I get why we didn't. It probably serves the story better overall, but :cry:

Now, the trilogy is not done so this kinda gets a pass but some more problems come from unanswered questions that could end up being ignored by trilogy's end.

Snoke. Really? We start getting a glimpse of what he can do and he's out. I feel the villains of this new trilogy have been pretty weak, save for Kylo - who even at times isn't an outright baddie until the very end. Anywho.. we still don't know who Snoke is, why he became Supreme guy, or much else except he's pretty good at the Force and lured Kylo.

Rey's lineage/importance. There was some setup in Ep 7 where some of the characters made a mention that Rey may be more important than she realizes besides being strong in the Force. In Ep 8, turns out she's just good at the Force and her parents sold her off because they were scumbags. Could be a swerve until the next one?

Finn. Again. For someone who was conditioned/brain washed to be a Storm Trooper, it would've been nice to explore what made the lightbulb switch for him specifically except a "just cuz it's wrong". It seemed like they started to go down that path a bit with DJ on the "who really is good?" scenes, but ends up no where.
Unfortunately, I have to agree on most of that as of my first viewing.

The Leia scene was so out there and the way they started to show all Snoke was capable of and then just take him out like he was an amateur is ridiculous. I was finally beginning to believe in him as the real bad guy of the trilogy and then they pull that crap? Ugh. Also, Leia is still alive at the end of the film. I really hope we don't get CGI Leia and they just write her off gracefully.

Not directly personally it seemed more a mix of Empire and Jedi

Thank You, Well I guess I'm watching the 2D version. All I can say is, as much as people might hate the prequels, the one thing they could not do was compare them with any original version, because they were their on entity. Disney obviously just want to make money. There's no interest or respect for the saga itself....

Thank You, Well I guess I'm watching the 2D version. All I can say is, as much as people might hate the prequels, the one thing they could not do was compare them with any original version, because they were their on entity. Disney obviously just want to make money. There's no interest or respect for the saga itself....
Personally, I don't think this is like any Star Wars movie before. Is there moments that hearken back to past movies? sure, but what do you expect when you're 8 movies in to a franchise. But this movie is very original for the most part, far, far more so than TFA was. Almost to a fault.

Audience score is terrible on RT right now (59%). That's a warning sign for legginess.
Way down from 89% for TFA. However, it's worth taking into account that this is the hardcore fans since we only have opening night as a sample. I'd bet the audience score climbs up into the low 70's, but as you allude to, this could affect the movie's legs considering the hardcore fans are the ones who will go to see the movie way more than once if they really enjoy it.

Will be interesting to see what CinemaScore it gets.

Way down from 89% for TFA. However, it's worth taking into account that this is the hardcore fans since we only have opening night as a sample. I'd bet the audience score climbs up into the low 70's, but as you allude to, this could affect the movie's legs considering the hardcore fans are the ones who will go to see the movie way more than once if they really enjoy it.
Yeah, I think there's also something to be said for nostalgia driving TFA (and it feeling like a re-launch of ANH) given that it sort of managed to ignore the prequel trilogy and serve as a 40 year bridge for the franchise.

TLJ is going to be way more polarizing in the short and longer run based on how hardcore fans are taking it. Nobody can say this was a safe movie with safe choices.

Yeah, I think there's also something to be said for nostalgia driving TFA (and it feeling like a re-launch of ANH) given that it sort of managed to ignore the prequel trilogy and serve as a 40 year bridge for the franchise.

TLJ is going to be way more polarizing in the short and longer run based on how hardcore fans are taking it. Nobody can say this was a safe movie with safe choices.
After seeing this movie, i'm both intrigued and slightly worried about Rian Johnson's upcoming trilogy. I love that he took risks and introduced new things into the universe. However, the pacing was very off in this movie, especially compared to TFA where I didn't find pacing to be a problem at all.

Reactions: fryoj and youhow2
After seeing this movie, i'm both intrigued and slightly worried about Rian Johnson's upcoming trilogy. I love that he took risks and introduced new things into the universe. However, the pacing was very off in this movie, especially compared to TFA where I didn't find pacing to be a problem at all.

I am pretty sure Disney will find the way to cancel out that contract if needed.

I'll say 2 things about that: 1) it's a very good thing JJ is going to direct 9. It doesn't need to be a safe conclusion like TFA was a safe launch, but it needs to go back to how a viewer feels after the end of Return of the Jedi, and I don't think Rian Johnson can pull that off. I also think that a lot of the hardcore fans will be much more willing to give JJ a go at trying to re-lift the series back to the more nostalgic feelings that TFA evoked. The reality is that while hardcore fans complained a lot about how safe TFA was, but that safe feeling will be a lot better compared to how they feel after TLJ's polarizing choices.

2) As far as a Rian trilogy goes, I think it all really depends on what they come up with; I think Rian really wanted to scramble things around in 8 to sort of throw off the expectation that it'd be a lot like Empire Strikes Back, that's where I think a lot of his choices came from..., but in a separate trilogy, he wouldn't have to worry about that.

Reactions: Nick
I'll say 2 things about that: 1) it's a very good thing JJ is going to direct 9. It doesn't need to be a safe conclusion like TFA was a safe launch, but it needs to go back to how a viewer feels after the end of Return of the Jedi, and I don't think Rian Johnson can pull that off. I also think that a lot of the hardcore fans will be much more willing to give JJ a go at trying to re-lift the series back to the more nostalgic feelings that TFA evoked. The reality is that while hardcore fans complained a lot about how safe TFA was, but that safe feeling will be a lot better compared to how they feel after TLJ's polarizing choices.

2) As far as a Rian trilogy goes, I think it all really depends on what they come up with; I think Rian really wanted to scramble things around in 8 to sort of throw off the expectation that it'd be a lot like Empire Strikes Back, that's where I think a lot of his choices came from..., but in a separate trilogy, he wouldn't have to worry about that.
I definitely agree about JJ.

The thing is fans don't really know what they want. JJ gave them a safe, soft reboot and he got ripped apart by hardcore fans for it being too similar to A New Hope (although still an enjoyable watch). On the other hand, Rian comes in here and really shakes things up from the norm, and fans again complain, but this time because things are too different.

It seems as though fans enjoyed TFA better than TLJ so far and that's because, as much as fans say they want something different, what they really want deep down inside is more of the same. That's what's kept the MCU popular for so long.

I loved the movie despite its flaws.

But it feels like Johnson wanted to focus on luke, rey, and kylo and he was forced to use Finn. I would have just kept him in the coma until 9. But I loved how it felt different. The gritty and intimate feelings of a lot of it was fresh.

I came out of the theater enjoying it, but DANG there are some big issues.

Snoke apparently means nothing? All that hype in TFA for literally nothing. Luke's light-saber also teased for being hugely significant, also apparently means nothing now. Rose's character was so forced it was completely unnecessary. They made Finn so likable in TFA then they poop on him and his chemistry with Rey with this meaningless mission with meaningless partner.

Reactions: SeventyOne