Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

There are rumors (Again, RUMORS) going around that they are re-shooting over 2/3 of the ENTIRE MOVIE

Those "rumors" are absolutely incorrect. As someone who works in the film industry (specifically on large blockbuster type films such as this), I can confidently tell you that if they were actually re-shooting 2/3 of the film, then it would not be releasing in December. That would be impossible, unless they were going to have half of the film be released with incomplete VFX.

There must be something wrong with me. I didn't care much for Force Awakens or Rogue One, but enjoyed Last Jedi and (especially) Solo. Regardless, I'm still driving up I-4 for Orlando's 4DX to see this.

I’ve liked all the New films. Some more than others, but I enjoyed them all on some level. The online “back lash” has been real interesting to me. I guess I just don’t share the passion or the expectations of others.

To fill my hat in, besides Solo and Battlefront; I've liked all that's come out story wise in SW since the acquisition. And I'm very much excited about what's coming out in the next two months, with Fallen Order; Mandalorian; and Rise of Skywalker.

To point my opinion, the trailer dosen't have as much merit, but I am excited to see this film as it'll end a tradition me and my mother have: to see every "new" mainline SW film in a theater on the opening Friday morning. It's moments like those, to where I can truly be happy and content. Even if the film eventually sours or bitters on me, the initial impact helps me out to point as two perspectives for two people.

Other than Solo, all these films have crossed $1 billion at the box office. For you guys to say this franchise is dead is utterly laughable

Star Wars is heavily reliant on US and Europe. So count out Asia and South America. (remember TLJ on made 20 million in China and even less in Korea). Japan did okay.

Just as a reminder Solo broke presales as well.
‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ Fandango Presales Double ‘Black Panther’ – Variety

And then what happened? It flopped.

Star Wars isn't dead but it currently is in a very vulnerable position.

Other than Solo, all these films have crossed $1 billion at the box office. For you guys to say this franchise is dead is utterly laughable

This board has been nothing but negative since galaxy edge opened. Several people on here want Disney to fail. It’s childish nonsense.

Pre sales are already ahead of Last Jedi.
I’m willing to bet all those folks that have “sworn off” Star Wars will still end up buying a ticket.

the new movie/tv show/ and theme park ride are almost guaranteed to spark new interest in the franchise. You can’t call the franchise “dead” because of your personal opinion. No one cares about your opinion.

Star Wars is heavily reliant on US and Europe. So count out Asia and South America. (remember TLJ on made 20 million in China and even less in Korea). Japan did okay.

black panther didn’t become a huge release until after it was released.
i agree that presales aren’t full indicators of a films overall success, but it’s a poor comparison.

I don't disagree its more vulnerable than it was when TFA came out, but I don't think Solo is a good indicator for TROS. Compeltlety different films. Solo was a crap spin off from the main franchise while TROS is concluding the entire Star Wars saga. Now the films may be of the same quality but I think they're going to appeal to different and more broad crowds. Just my opinion. The first 2 in this trilogy made over a billion, I'm expecting this one to be close to if not reach a billion.

This board has been nothing but negative since galaxy edge opened. Several people on here want Disney to fail. It’s childish nonsense.

Pre sales are already ahead of Last Jedi.
I’m willing to bet all those folks that have “sworn off” Star Wars will still end up buying a ticket.

the new movie/tv show/ and theme park ride are almost guaranteed to spark new interest in the franchise. You can’t call the franchise “dead” because of your personal opinion. No one cares about your opinion.

Honestly, people are more than allowed to hate TLJ and never see Star Wars again, but the last Jedi made over a billion. People need to get off their high horse thinking their opinion of not liking something means "The franchise is dying!!!"

That same “visionary” created Jar Jar.

The series was dead way before Disney bought it. Lucas killed it himself.

I never said Lucas didn’t ruin it. All I said was that using multiple directors for the new trilogy, when they clearly didn’t have a cohesive vision, was a bad move.

Something no one has made a good argument against. But there’s been lots of “oh, like the first trilogy”, which doesn’t counter my argument one bit.

I guess hyperbole and whataboutisms are what pass for a good argument nowadays.

I never said Lucas didn’t ruin it. All I said was that using multiple directors for the new trilogy, when they clearly didn’t have a cohesive vision, was a bad move.

Something no one has made a good argument against. But there’s been lots of “oh, like the first trilogy”, which doesn’t counter my argument one bit.

I guess hyperbole and whataboutisms are what pass for a good argument nowadays.
Um, how does it not counter your argument when the original trilogy also used different directors, just like this one? Thats quite literally the same thing, and a perfect counter argument.

Um, how does it not counter your argument when the original trilogy also used different directors, just like this one? Thats quite literally the same thing, and a perfect counter argument.

I think what @Andysol is trying to say is that while the original trilogy had different directors, it was still following the story and ideas that Lucas wanted to tell. The new trilogy seems to be, at least at this point, 2 different visions from 2 different directors with a general idea of where to go from the Mouse House.

I think what @Andysol is trying to say is that while the original trilogy had different directors, it was still following the story and ideas that Lucas wanted to tell. The new trilogy seems to be, at least at this point, 2 different visions from 2 different directors with a general idea of where to go from the Mouse House.
Ah, I got it. This makes it a little more understanding for sure. Not even disrespect to Johnson but I do wish JJ stayed on for this entire trilogy. Ah well.

That's exactly the problem. Because Disney rushed this trilogy, JJ did what he could to setup story ideas in TFA without a driving force like Lucas overseeing the coherency between the 3 movies. Instead, Kennedy just gave full creative control to Johnson, letting him write the script entirely on his own. This was a fatal flaw that I hope the entire film industry learns from in the future.

Star Wars isn't dead (it somehow survived the awful prequels) but it has been damaged, TLJ divided the fan base.
I really hope this movie puts it back on track, but I don't feel any need to see this in theatres. No one I know is really talking about it which is quite different to TFA/Rogue 1 & TLJ.

Pre sales don't really tell us that much, opening weekends are becoming a bigger and bigger slice of a movies total ticket sales. It's just the changing nature of the business.

Wasn't Galaxys Edge a sell out before opening? That turned out well! ;)