Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Surprise, J.J. Abrams Was Actually Involved With Star Wars: The Last Jedi

What J.J. Abrams Thinks About The Last Jedi, According To Rian Johnson

JJ Abrams Addresses Taking Over 'Star Wars' After Rian Johnson

Johnson absolutely did not approach TLJ in a bubble. He did have some input from JJ and JJ himself said that nothing was "derailed" story wise overall. Maybe some specific story elements might have been changed with JJ, but this picture of this mad director sitting all alone typing out the story beats to TLJ to try to explode what was set in TFA is just simply not true.

Edit: and I guess to keep on topic, I am super excited for Rise of Skywalker. Trailer looked great to me. Can't wait.

Reactions: RevFreako

Johnson absolutely did not approach TLJ in a bubble. He did have some input from JJ and JJ himself said that nothing was "derailed" story wise overall. Maybe some specific story elements might have been changed with JJ, but this picture of this mad director sitting all alone typing out the story beats to TLJ to try to explode what was set in TFA is just simply not true.

Yep. JJ basically stayed quiet and let Rian take all the heat for TLJ backlash like he had nothing to do with it.
That was a douchey move.

Reactions: Lucky Planet

Edit: and I guess to keep on topic, I am super excited for Rise of Skywalker. Trailer looked great to me. Can't wait.

*ahem*

Abrams recently admitted that if he had been the one to direct Episode VIII, he would have done things differently (what specifically, we don't know).

Although the two directors had deep conversations about the second chapter in the Sequel Trilogy, that doesn’t mean that they totally agreed on every point or that J.J. Abrams was a fan of everything Rian Johnson did. Ultimately it was Rian Johnson’s film, and at his BFI talk, Johnson also said that he wanted to make a movie that stood on its own and succeeded on its own merits, while also taking the trilogy into account.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
This board has been nothing but negative since galaxy edge opened. Several people on here want Disney to fail. It’s childish nonsense.

Pre sales are already ahead of Last Jedi.
I’m willing to bet all those folks that have “sworn off” Star Wars will still end up buying a ticket.

the new movie/tv show/ and theme park ride are almost guaranteed to spark new interest in the franchise. You can’t call the franchise “dead” because of your personal opinion. No one cares about your opinion.

I’ll still go and see it after it’s been out for a week or two. I’m not as excited for this movie as I was for the force awaken or even revenge of the sith when it was assumed that would be the final movie.

I don’t think the Star Wars franchise is dead though. But Disney was too aggressive with their plan to release a new movie a year. That over Saturation has dented the of the Franchise.

I realized that, which is why I wrote

All I'm trying to say is that the last jedi wasn't some mad man's sole vision. There was a plan for everything. Again, JJ would have made different choices, but the overall arc had been established.

It was originally 3 different visions, which was ultimately the point of myself and @Andysol. JJ came back in Sept 2017, so his ideas to finish the trilogy wouldn't have impacted TLJ at that point. Who knows how different Ep 9 Trevorrow's version is/would've been.

The same article you linked also included this tidbit: " The starting point was The Force Awakens script, which is quite a big, expansive, wonderful starting point. In that way, we are drawing directly from his work. But from that point forward it was a blank canvas."

There is a general arc that I'm sure Disney wants them to hit certain specific beats - but it seems ultimately up to the each person on how to get there.

Either way, we'll have a better idea of this discussion after Ep. 9 and see if anything is "retcon'd"

I do also want to point out a lot of these statements are lip service. Don't forget when you work for the mouse you are limited in saying negative things without retribution (see Edward Norton).

Also want to point out that you should look who owns Atom and wonder whats the agenda behind their statement of such high presales yet the main ticketing site Fandango which usually reports presales often has said nothing. (fun fact, Atom is owned by Disney)

Last edited:
I suppose I should finally get around to watching part 8... the last few times I've been in a "Star Wars mood", I have just rewatched Rogue One. Oops.

The fact that Disney thought it wise to use multiple directors for a trilogy is the definition of idiocy.

What did they expect would happen? What a moronic decision.

The same success the original trilogy had with multiple directors? :shrug:

That same “visionary” created Jar Jar.

The series was dead way before Disney bought it. Lucas killed it himself.

Um, how does it not counter your argument when the original trilogy also used different directors, just like this one? Thats quite literally the same thing, and a perfect counter argument.

The real hero behind the original star wars movies was Lucas' ex wife, Marcia Lucas.

Shes the reason the original movies worked so well, she helped edit them. Shes the one that helped Lucas the most with fixing the scripts.
Most people forget she worked on the movies, but both the prequels and these new movies are missing that one person behind the project fixing things up.

The prequels are the way they are because George was left alone to do what he did
But the original scripts of the original movies had cringey weird things that Marcia helped fix.
Now Disney was making these movies without having a Kevin Feige figure controlling everything, JJ was definitely not in control of the Franchise, and Rian did not care for the trilogy as a whole.
The original movies could have turned out much different if Marcia wasnt involved.
The prequels literally prove this.

I like how people are suggesting we want Galaxy's Edge to fail. Do people not realize all the cool things Disney could do with their power and money to provide a living land that isn't constrained by the new trilogy and actually reflects what people loved about the movies?

I'm looking forward to Rise because other than Palpatine this looks to be its own thing and its sets and planets already look better than anything we saw in TLJ.

Cats might be the worst show I have ever seen considering how much money it made.

I like how people are suggesting we want Galaxy's Edge to fail. Do people not realize all the cool things Disney could do with their power and money to provide a living land that isn't constrained by the new trilogy and actually reflects what people loved about the movies?

I'm looking forward to Rise because other than Palpatine this looks to be its own thing and its sets and planets already look better than anything we saw in TLJ.

I more think Disney is in need of a reality check. As I have said there is just a limit of how much you can charge before people stop coming no matter how much you spend on a land. Budgets are out of control, execs get shuffled when it isn't packed at insane prices, yet they claim high prices are a response to crowds being to big to handle, yet they cheap out on staff/paying more people to manage crowds better. They cheap out on having the parks open later and more extra magic hours.

They built a brand on service, good value considering the whole package,and encouraging vacation loyalty along with the high quality rides. As a fan I just think its a poor long term business model to piss off your biggest fans because the only way you are getting increased profits quarter to quarter is increased prices because you already discouraged new people from coming/increasing your capacity enough over many years. Investors will almost always move their money elsewhere after pumping the stock if things start to go south long term.

I don't want the land to fail but something has to give.

Last edited:
It’s part of a package in a broadway series I pay for. That in itself is inherently expensive but it’s 7 shows and Cats is one of em so I’m going for it, we shall see how it goes lol.
Oh yea the Chicago package is like absurdly cheap that one of my friends gets. They will also be subjected to cats.

"Living land" is one of the keys....ie: entertainment, lots of familiar streetmosphere characters, and Williams music.

Reactions: chris.g