Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Visually it’s jaw dropping but with no real connection to the characters, I’ll be waiting for this to come out on home video unless it releases to universal acclaim.

To me this is perfect Palpatine, doing everything in the shadows with no one knowing it was him or that he even alive, the prequel movies showed this with him manipulating everything in plain sight but still hidden.

i think the idea is that 3p0 has been in every Star Wars film and this will officially be his last. So when he’s saying that he’s actually speaking to the audience. At least I think that’s the purpose.
I see nothing wrong with that either, 40+ years of this character deserves a proper goodbye. Plus Chewie and R2 were right there guys. Also may have just been a general saying in the trailer to get it in peoples heads this is the final star wars movie

Wife bought our opening night tickets last night. 3D showing.

In exchange, I’m dragging her to see Cats.
The Cats stage play is touring in Boston in early January. I figured catch it there first, then check out the movie while its still in theaters. Should be interesting haha

The problem to me, someone who enjoyed both TFA and TLJ, is that Palpatine's place in this story feels very out of nowhere and unearned and to be honest... i'm not even sure what the story actually IS right now. Rian closed everything up. I guess one respect maybe that was a positive for JJ as he had a clean slate for this movie?

It seems pretty clear to me that J.J.'s ideas -- particularly relating to Kylo Ren's ultimate arc -- are contingent upon there being a "bigger bad" above him. Since Johnson axed Snoke, Abrams scrambled and contrived a way to get the Emperor back in there to occupy the basic story function that Snoke otherwise would have had he not died.

Put another way, I think Johnson beat Abrams to the punch in terms of the Kylo/Snoke resolution, only he didn't take it as far as I expect Abrams will.

In doing so, Abrams will run the risk of opening himself up to more "You're just ripping off the Original Trilogy!" criticisms if it's not handled well.

It seems pretty clear to me that J.J.'s ideas -- particularly relating to Kylo Ren's ultimate arc -- are contingent upon there being a "bigger bad" above him. Since Johnson axed Snoke, Abrams scrambled and contrived a way to get the Emperor back in there to occupy the basic story function that Snoke otherwise would have had he not died.

Put another way, I think Johnson beat Abrams to the punch in terms of the Kylo/Snoke resolution, only he didn't take it as far as I expect Abrams will.

In doing so, Abrams will run the risk of opening himself up to more "You're just ripping off the Original Trilogy!" criticisms if it's not handled well.
Probably the best theory I've heard on this honestly. Snoke based of TFA was expected to have much more a big prescience in this trilogy, then Kylo just killed him. Hoping we hear a little more backstory in this one on Snoke but this makes complete sense to me.

I'm pretty sure I remember them hyping the Force Awakens as the start of a New set of films/characters. It's now been downgraded (for now) as a continuation and conclusion to the entire SW "skywalker" saga. Which is a REALLY arrogant card to play. I really hope they can pull it off.

Probably the best theory I've heard on this honestly. Snoke based of TFA was expected to have much more a big prescience in this trilogy, then Kylo just killed him. Hoping we hear a little more backstory in this one on Snoke but this makes complete sense to me.
I seriously doubt it. There are rumors (Again, RUMORS) going around that they are re-shooting over 2/3 of the ENTIRE MOVIE after Disney demanded that the film try to appease everybody after JJ's statement that it will "not please everybody". I want to stress it's a rumor, but being the final trailer is still a bit vague showing a lot of already "locked" elements and clips from past movies, I wouldn't put it past them. If even the people making the dang movie don't even have an idea what the film is going to be, why would they care about this?

I seriously doubt it. There are rumors (Again, RUMORS) going around that they are re-shooting over 2/3 of the ENTIRE MOVIE after Disney demanded that the film try to appease everybody after JJ's statement that it will "not please everybody". I want to stress it's a rumor, but being the final trailer is still a bit vague showing a lot of already "locked" elements and clips from past movies, I wouldn't put it past them. If even the people making the dang movie don't even have an idea what the film is going to be, why would they care about this?
Well if that rumor is true then they likely don’t care about this haha. I know they didn’t plan these films further out (mistake) so it would not shock me if they didn’t. I wasn’t even aware of JJs comments but I’m trying to stay mostly spoiler free and go in with an open mind. Solo and TLJ took my Star Wars love out a little bit the trailer last night was good imo. I might be a sucker for nostalgia but after TLJ I’m not too against it depending on how well it’s done.

There must be something wrong with me. I didn't care much for Force Awakens or Rogue One, but enjoyed Last Jedi and (especially) Solo. Regardless, I'm still driving up I-4 for Orlando's 4DX to see this.

The fact that Disney thought it wise to use multiple directors for a trilogy is the definition of idiocy.

What did they expect would happen? What a moronic decision.

There must be something wrong with me. I didn't care much for Force Awakens or Rogue One, but enjoyed Last Jedi and (especially) Solo. Regardless, I'm still driving up I-4 for Orlando's 4DX to see this.
Lol there’s nothing wrong with you it’s just a difference in taste