Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

It wouldn't shock me if this does the worst out of the 3 films. In general theres some Star Wars fatigue, I think a lot of fans won't be seeing this twice like other films, feels like there has been less marketing for it, and there's also The Mandalorian out there for some people to wet their Star Wars appetite. I think there will be tons of factors as to why this film won't do as well. Should be interesting.
The worst out of the 3 is still pretty damn good.

It all depends how the next week goes. I was talking with my roommate about going to the movies next week and we both agreed to wait on TROS till it's available online. There’s a lot of Star Wars fatigue. Now if it underperforms to Disney’s exceptions after the holiday week then it’s time to panic in Burbank.

The worst out of the 3 is still pretty damn good.
Oh absolutely, its still going to make a billion lol. In no way are any of these films a box office failure. Wish is good, because I do want another trilogy someday (separate from the Skywalker, praying for Knights of The Old Republic) so I'm happy they're doing well.

Oh absolutely, its still going to make a billion lol. In no way are any of these films a box office failure. Wish is good, because I do want another trilogy someday (separate from the Skywalker, praying for Knights of The Old Republic) so I'm happy they're doing well.
Kennedy has said they don’t want to do anymore “trilogies” as they are limiting. They want original stories and will organically grow the story and take it as far as it calls for.

For me it was basically 3 hours of retcon exposition screamed at me between action sequences. It felt like they were trying to cram two movies into one with the manic pacing. Rather than letting character moments breathe, a side character would just come along with a bit of information to point them towards the next action sequence. The main villain story line was out of left field and raised a lot more question than it answered. I had fun though.

Kennedy has said they don’t want to do anymore “trilogies” as they are limiting. They want original stories and will organically grow the story and take it as far as it calls for.
Okay thats fair, but same thing. Give me Knights Of The Republic still haha. Glad they may be learning some things though. I don't really believe a trilogy is very limiting though, thats 3 films to tell a story. I see their point however.

Okay thats fair, but same thing. Give me Knights Of The Republic still haha. Glad they may be learning some things though. I don't really believe a trilogy is very limiting though, thats 3 films to tell a story. I see their point however.
But you don’t always want to commit to 3 films right out of the gate. Maybe it ends up being a trilogy, maybe not. If a movie flops, you don’t make two sequels.

But you don’t always want to commit to 3 films right out of the gate. Maybe it ends up being a trilogy, maybe not. If a movie flops, you don’t make two sequels.
Well, Solo kinda set up a sequel lol. So it does show they're learning a bit. I guess I'm fine with that. Just make good movies. Im really hoping The Mandalorian makes me feel more "Star Wars" because this trilogy has zapped it a tiny bit for me. Could be because I've been more down lately in general but idk. Hopefully Baby Yoda can help with that.

Well, Solo kinda set up a sequel lol. So it does show they're learning a bit. I guess I'm fine with that. Just make good movies. Im really hoping The Mandalorian makes me feel more "Star Wars" because this trilogy has zapped it a tiny bit for me. Could be because I've been more down lately in general but idk. Hopefully Baby Yoda can help with that.
The Mandalorian feels like the most authentic “Star Wars” thing Disney has done imo.

I’ll take that bet. It’ll be over $1B within 2-3 weeks.
Hmmm. TLJ earned $1.3 bil total. That had a $45 mil domestic opening. TROS only opened with $5 mil less. When you factor in the resentment from the fan base, more than likely less repeat viewings, I think $800-$900 mil will probably be the final total gross. We’ll see.

I'm still trying to think what was the point of the new trilogy from a story perspective. Obviously, the easy answer is "Cuz monayyyyy!".

At least with the prequels, as crappy as a lot of it was, there was a common thread that tied it all together. Same with OT.

Maybe I'm missing it?

Hmmm. TLJ earned $1.3 bil total. That had a $45 mil domestic opening. TROS only opened with $5 mil less. When you factor in the resentment from the fan base, more than likely less repeat viewings, I think $800-$900 mil will probably be the final total gross. We’ll see.

Oh, it'll make it past a billion. It probably won't sniff higher BO numbers, which as crazy as it sounds, is the problem.

I'm still trying to think what was the point of the new trilogy from a story perspective. Obviously, the easy answer is "Cuz monayyyyy!".

At least with the prequels, as crappy as a lot of it was, there was a common thread that tied it all together. Same with OT.

Maybe I'm missing it?

Oh, it'll make it past a billion. It probably won't sniff higher BO numbers, which as crazy as it sounds, is the problem.
This is my main problem after last evening. I said in an earlier post I don't even feel any of the Disney films are re-watchable anymore honestly cause they just do not connect together well. Thats why I believe the prequels are better. Theres clear intention from the start, pieces of the story that build and build over time, reaching an ultimate conclusion. I guess Rise reached a conclusion, but from the other 2 films I feel they just don't connect. Watching the 3 of these in a row certainly do not flow well. I feel the story only connects because of the characters, not because of the story itself, if that makes sense?

Okay thats really good to hear. Maybe ill watch that this weekend. Planning to soon.
It ends next Friday so I’d just wait and binge.

Maybe I'm missing it?

Oh, it'll make it a billion. It probably won't sniff higher BO numbers, which as crazy as it sounds, is the problem.
Yeah, I’m having that problem too. Nothing flows and even with the closed storylines Rian did, there was still stuff to work with.

Instead, they chose to make a fan fiction movie that undoes a lot of important things from TLJ.
Kylo shouldn’t have been redeemable after all he’s done. But the people want Reylo so they’re gonna get it! I don’t think I was supposed to have this reaction, but I burst out laughing when they kissed. Truly something out of a fairy tale.

Last edited:
79910694_2617285225055637_8961833963324702720_o.jpg

This is what a comic book artist and huge Star Wars fan in the Netherlands thought about the movie (and this is the general consensus here).

Last edited:
It ends next Friday so I’d just wait and binge.

Yeah, I’m having that problem too. Nothing flows and even with the closed storylines Rian did, there was still stuff to work with.

Instead, they chose to make a fan fiction movie that undoes a lot of important things from TLJ.
Kylo shouldn’t have been redeemable after all he’s done. But the people want Reylo so they’re gonna get it! I don’t think I was supposed to have this reaction, but I burst out laughing when they kissed. Truly something out of a fairy tale.
I felt the same way and literally put my hands up like "WTF!" when they kissed, then as processing the fact they may just go live off together and start their own Jedi or be the new leaders of the Jedi, then, he just, died and vanished. It was so unsatisfying. I was fine with his redemption because he's always gone back and forth sorta in the last few movies, and only an actor like Adam Driver can have a complete tonal shift like he did in the 2nd half/3rd act of Rise of Skywalker. But ya, that kiss is even more LOL to me since he just died immediately after. Felt like such a waste.

The “kiss,” though narratively ham fisted, was still earned. It ties into the idea of “Ben” and “Kylo” being different people, and Rey’s comment about taking Ben’s hand.

Ben’s death also makes perfect sense. It’s presented in such a clunky way (like almost everything in the film), though, that ruins the impact. It’s literally “a life for a life.” Force healing, as Rey describes it, is transferring the healer’s life into another. When Kylo gets to her, Rey’s dead. Ben transfers ALL of his life into Rey to bring her back.

So, just like Vader’s “redemption” is wrapped up in his sacrifice, Ben’s is too. The specifics just aren’t presented in any clear way.