Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Just got out. I thought it was great. So happy I can still enjoy Star Wars movies unlike a very vocal lot of you.
Wasn’t nearly as “over nostalgic” as many said it was. Was it perfect, no, but it was extremely entertaining. Not even close to the “worst in the series”.Those folks have no hope in life. I honestly feel sorry for them.
Has there even been any fighting since the movie’s release...? I’ve disagreed with some users and we’ve had totally peaceful discussions trying to figure out why the other feels that way. We’re all just expressing our takes in here.

My girlfriend and best friend like this movie. I’ve had very lengthy discussions about the film with them both and neither side was trying to persuade the other.

I absolutely have no interest in forcing someone to hate something they enjoy. I also don’t see a reason to not discuss the movie either lol. I’ll share my issues with the film all day long, but I’m glad people such as yourself enjoyed it! That’s great and there’s literally nothing wrong with that. Not everything is a weird pissing contest. People have different tastes in entertainment. It doesn’t mean they have “no hope in life” lmao. No ones calling for someone’s head. Some of us just feel mistakes were made. You won’t find me starting a petition or something because it didn’t work for me

With over 26,000 audience reviews, the Audience RT score is at 86% still. I personally don't understand how it's so high, but glad people are liking the film. With the reactions i've heard it certainly doesn't feel like 86% is accurate though. Maybe i'll enjoy it more upon second viewing.

Has there even been any fighting since the movie’s release...? I’ve disagreed with some users and we’ve had totally peaceful discussions trying to figure out why the other feels that way. We’re all just expressing our takes in here.

My girlfriend and best friend like this movie. I’ve had very lengthy discussions about the film with them both and neither side was trying to persuade the other.

I absolutely have no interest in forcing someone to hate something they enjoy. I also don’t see a reason to not discuss the movie either lol. I’ll share my issues with the film all day long, but I’m glad people such as yourself enjoyed it! That’s great and there’s literally nothing wrong with that. Not everything is a weird pissing contest. People have different tastes in entertainment. It doesn’t mean they have “no hope in life” lmao. No ones calling for someone’s head. Some of us just feel mistakes were made. You won’t find me starting a petition or something because it didn’t work for me
A lot of the problems for me aren't even RoS specific. It's that with the trilogy now complete, it makes me actually like TFA and TLJ (both films I enjoyed) less because the trilogy as a whole doesn't flow well nor does it make sense at points.

It is funny to me that the best film this year was directed by Rian after all the hate he got for Ep. 8. I enjoyed Knives Out WAY more than Ep. 9.

If you ever have a chance to wander Rian Johnson's Vimeo account from 10-15 years ago where he posted his college shorts. They're some of the most imaginative, well told stories I've ever seen. He's a fantastic director and EP 8 had some of the best "Star Warsy" moments in this entire series, like he understands the force better than JJ or Kathleen. I think his own stand-alone trilogy would be one of the best, as long as it was entirely his and remained stand-alone.

That article doesn’t have any reliable reporting, until you hear it from a trade publication then this is all just speculation. We’ve known Kennedy’s tenure with Lucasfilm only extends until 2021 I believe and I don’t think anyone expects her to be sticking around longer than that

You're right. WeGotThisCovered is notoriously click-baity posting fake rumors about anything that'll drive traffic. They've been doing it for years. The reason media outlets write so much negative stuff is because negativity drives traffic. It's been like that for years and these websites care more for the bottom line and appealing to their niche than they do actual reporting.

With over 26,000 audience reviews, the Audience RT score is at 86% still. I personally don't understand how it's so high, but glad people are liking the film. With the reactions i've heard it certainly doesn't feel like 86% is accurate though. Maybe i'll enjoy it more upon second viewing.

A lot of the problems for me aren't even RoS specific. It's that with the trilogy now complete, it makes me actually like TFA and TLJ (both films I enjoyed) less because the trilogy as a whole doesn't flow well nor does it make sense at points.

Literally all of my friends that have seen it loved it. Some have already seen it twice.
I’m going to do my best not to get bogged
Down in all the discussion that pretty much ruined Last Jedi for everyone. The criticism for this trilogy has been nonstop since the Force Awakens released. Im over it. I just don’t get the tremendous hate that fans hold in their heart.

Literally all of my friends that have seen it loved it. Some have already seen it twice.
I’m going to do my best not to get bogged
Down in all the discussion that pretty much ruined Last Jedi for everyone. The criticism for this trilogy has been nonstop since the Force Awakens released. Im over it. I just don’t get the tremendous hate that fans hold in their heart.

Could you potentially explain the love you have for it in your heart? We've had a very full discussion on the issues we've found with this movie. If you have such an issue with people not liking it, the least you could do is contribute to the conversation by explaining the good you saw in it instead of just attacking everyone left and right as if a simple dislike of a movie makes them the most hateful person alive lol.

I said it before, but I'm not even a big Star Wars fan or anything. I was raised on the prequels which I enjoyed as a child, but no longer do. I never got heavily into the original trilogy. I adored TFA and TLJ and thought that this may be the Star Wars trilogy for me and now that I feel like they missed the mark, that's not the case unfortunately. No loss, no harm. Just a little disappointing. It's not some massive conspiracy to hate the franchise. I've given them my money twice already within the first three days of opening simply to give it another fair swing even. It's not like I'm suddenly burning my BB-8 socks and Star Wars t-shirt because this missed the mark for me :lol:

I loved the evolution of force Skype and the ability to transfer objects. I loved Rey pulling the transport ship before blowing it up. I thought Poe and Finn had great chemistry. I loved the Emperor shooting down the fleet with his lightning. Babu Frick. This film finally let c3PO back in on the action, Lando was very charismatic, the costumes were on point. Rey’s new lightsaber was awesome. I was elated to see Leia using a lightsaber on screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we talk about the ship on a rock for a second!

You mean to tell me a ship was just sitting up there for years, not locked, where anyone could take it. And it's still there and just starts up with no problems. Conveniently at the moment and place we needed a ship.

Can we talk about the ship on a rock for a second!

You mean to tell me a ship was just sitting up there for years, not locked, where anyone could take it. And it's still there and just starts up with no problems. Conveniently at the moment and place we needed a ship.

Huh? If you’re talking about...

the X-wing on Ach-To, that was shown in TLJ in the water. It’s how Luke got there.

I loved the evolution of force Skype and the ability to transfer objects. I loved Rey pulling the transport ship before blowing it up. I thought Poe and Finn had great chemistry. I loved the Emperor shooting down the fleet with his lightning. Babu Frick. This film finally let c3PO back in on the action, Lando was very charismatic, the costumes were on point. Rey’s new lightsaber was awesome. I was elated to see Leia using a lightsaber on screen.

lol force skype

I'm really shocked that people are disliking this more than the prequel trilogy which I find totally unwatchable. It may have had an overiding story from ep 1 to 3 but everything else about it was awful!

ROS was great fun, but I agree with all the views about the planning and execution of this trilogy. IMO Kathleen and anyone else in a similar power position needs to go, they have proved they are not capable of handling a cohesive story arc (or even coming up with one)
I like the prequels :) I’m watching Revenge of the Sith right now :) It is very sad though.

okay i saw it, and besides personal feelings....

i am still truly, truly shocked and baffled that Disney bought star wars and then decided to make a trilogy without a clear outline and without hiring a director to do all 3 movies.
how does that even happen?
seriously, how does that even happen with a 4 billion mega franchise? so much money on the line and the reputation of the biggest sci fi franchise in history?

Hate the prequels as much as you want, I know how terrible they were written and directed, I understand. I fully get how terrible they were made. but At Least George Lucas had a clear outline and a clear story line that he wanted to tell from episode 1 to episode 3.
yes i Know those movies are bad, im not trying to deny that.... But at least George had a 3 part story arc that began and finished.
as bad as people think they were, you could follow the 3 part arc, and characters grow from each movie to the next.

Im not even trying to talk about the quality of the Disney trilogy.... but how could they just let JJ do one movie and go away while a second director comes to do something new without thinking about the next on,
and then the third movie has to fix the connection between all movies? how is that even possible?

im not even trying to say anything negative about the directors or the movies, but it is very clear there was no outline and the movies weren't planned out.... the movies dont follow each other coherently.
things are made up on one movie and things are ignored in another one, character arcs are set up only to be abandoned, the third movie introduces new characters that were never spoken about before, characters and motivations that were set up in the first 2 movies are not followed in the third....

im not even hating, im not even attacking, but im just flabbergasted......... i cannot remember the last time a trilogy or a franchise was this disjointed... i honestly cant think of another, a lot of trilogies and franchises have good or bad movies in between, but i cant remember a trilogy this disjointed.