Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | Page 40 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Saw it yesterday. I thought it was a good ending. Probably top 3 or 4 in the series. Certainly some flaws but overall a great movie. I left the theater thinking why is everyone bashing it? I guess my pedestrian view of films makes me some kind of GP mouth breather. So be it I liked it a lot.

It's fine. Fine. But didn't really make me feel much beyond Leia dying.

But like, the point I’m trying to make is, he didn’t need Snoke OR Palpatine to make a competent film. He just felt like he needed to because his whole shtick is remaking better movies.

Well, the movie needed a bad guy to fight against, Kylo was not it. Well, maybe they could have made Kylo the ultimate bad guy, but either way this franchise needed an antagonist just because thats how star wars goes.

Whether it was Kylo or Snoke or Palpatine, the trilogy should have had an antagonist for all 3 movies, just because of the type of story these movies tell,
And this franchise is full of dozens of villains (from video games to the cartoon etc) they should have thought this thru when rian took out snoke, if he was gonna do that, they should have made Rian introduce Palpatine in the last jedi

Reactions: KreepyKarpy
After watching TRoS, I still can't really find myself treating this trilogy as a true continuation of the saga. It doesn't really flow right when you look at it as a whole and I wish they had everything under control from the start.

To me, the "Rise of the Resistance" (ha.) in the final battle is the only part of this trilogy that outshines what came before it. Some bits of fan service worked for me, some didn't. (I hate how they made Luke's force ghost look way too blue. He could've easily been a hologram if I didn't know better).

I think the one thing that bothers me with this installment's place in the franchise is how the Prequels (despite my overall stance on it) made it such a big deal that Anakin would be the one to destroy the Sith & how much it relied on how the Original Trilogy would play out and -- most importantly -- end. I'm not angry about it, I'm just very very confused. The only way the Sequel Trilogy will work for me is to ignore what the Prequels built up and just have my head-canon be "ANH -> ESB -> RotJ -> TFA -> TLJ -> TRoS". But if I want the Prequels to work, I'd need to remove the Sequels from my head-canon and have it only be "TPM -> AotC -> RotS -> ANH -> ESB -> RotJ". (Yeah, half of me used this one paragraph as an excuse to color-code; it's ugly, I know; but the point is that both of these timelines flow better in my head than having it all be under one timeline).

I really can't settle with this. I want to love the Star Wars franchise in its entirety since Star Wars has been such a big part in my childhood, but my brain just can't satisfy itself with the overall progression without having constant overloads of confusion.

EDIT (3:17 AM): I've settled with having Star Wars in two separate timelines. I am now satisfied for the most part and also I need sleep.
I need sleep.
Ḯ̴̝ ̶̣̬̋n̴̗̍e̴̻̦̅e̸̯̼̔͌d̴̬̓ ̵̼͇̽s̷̟̫͂̈ḻ̵́ẽ̴̮̥͐e̴̗͊̊p̵̳͗͒.̴̤̤̅

oh, also, MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!

Last edited:
I saw the movie twice and it’s a fun ride, but it’s clear between Carrie and other TLJ things, they didn’t have a trilogy long plan. They wanted each movie to be a product of the writer/directors taking care of each film as we have them.

Marvel is more focused on the larger narrative and it shows.

I still love the galaxy and I’d love to see more in it but I think the franchise goes best when it opens in new directions like Rogue One and Mandalorian rather than continue the original narrative.

Also, this:A2B1540E-4EF8-4131-8655-2D332C94DC5A.jpeg

I miss the days before Force Awakens came out.

Back when everyone was excited about where the trilogy was headed and the only annoying controversy that tore the fandom apart was whether or not Kylo Ren was actually Luke Skywalker.

And you also had people photoshopping stuff like this:

78dd8cc3aec04670d9f39a7266d4fbfa96808bb6_hq.jpg

(This is so uncomfortable to look at).

Last edited:
Reactions: belloq87
I miss the days before Force Awakens came out.

Back when everyone was excited about where the trilogy was headed and the only annoying controversy that tore the fandom apart was whether or not Kylo Ren was actually Luke Skywalker.

And you also had people photoshopping stuff like this:

78dd8cc3aec04670d9f39a7266d4fbfa96808bb6_hq.jpg

(This is so uncomfortable to look at).

this poster legit hurts to look at, i remember this....
i was super excited for the speculation of Boyega as a jedi...

Reactions: KreepyKarpy
So feelings about the film aside and lower opening weekend, it's actually performing very well with a pace that is quickly catching up to The Last Jedi. Remember TLJ had a huge 76% drop in week 2 and went from a $220M opening to barely $70M in week 2. So far Monday and Tuesday have outpaced what TLJ did in it's comparable days and it's projected to have a better hold, somewhere around $85-$105M for an expected <50% drop. Box Office Pro even thinks that TROS could catch up to (if not exceed) TLJ's box office performance by the end of the weekend, despite opening $43M less.

Audiences do seem to be enjoying the film if the RT audience score is any indication and TLJ was incredibly front-loaded. There's also no real competition out there this year as Jumanji isn't really performing as well this time around as it did in 2017. With that said and taken into account, i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this film will actually finish with a higher domestic (key word) box office. Worldwide I think it may end up a little lower, however.

Well I saw it yesterday. It’s a legitimately incompetently made film. Edited poorly, dramatized poorly, and the script is prequel-level bad. Only good thing about it are the new leads are just still so charismatic that it skates by well enough.

Whether it was Kylo or Snoke or Palpatine, the trilogy should have had an antagonist for all 3 movies

we didn’t have any idea the Emperor would actually be the big bad of the OT until Jedi

Well I saw it yesterday. It’s a legitimately incompetently made film. Edited poorly, dramatized poorly, and the script is prequel-level bad. Only good thing about it are the new leads are just still so charismatic that it skates by well enough.

we didn’t have any idea the Emperor would actually be the big bad of the OT until Jedi
Yes, but they didn’t have 8 movies before him to explain him. This film did.

Reactions: snayberry
Of note, TROS just posted the #1 non-opening Thursday box office of all-time, beating out TFA by $3.5M and TLJ by almost $8M.

The movie will have almost entirely caught up to the pace of TLJ after today and should start outpacing it by tomorrow.

Reactions: MrBlonde
Think he's saying that his story was wrapped i. Ot + pt and shoehorning him into this one was cheap?
Thank you. JS is arguing that Palp was thrown in at RoTJ, but they were only working with that trilogy at the time so it worked much much better. You now have 8 films in total, 6 where a Palpatine is technically involved and dead at the end of the 6th. It doesn’t work as well here and is not the same thing

Reactions: Lucky Planet
Also, the Emperor does appear in Empire, just not in person, and it’s not too far in if I’m remembering correctly. He’s also name-dropped in A New Hope, but that’s more to flesh out the Galaxy, and we know that Vader’s not running the whole Empire just by how he answers to Tarkin.

The problem with making the Emperor the puppet master of Snoke and the First Order (beyond it being out of nowhere) is that Snoke and the First Order make a lot of rookie mistakes in TFA and TLJ, which makes plenty of sense for a cult that worships an overturned tyrannical government and blindly seeks to recreate it, but not so much for the guy who masterminded the tyrannical government in the first place.

I just got back from watching it. It's a fine movie. Better than Force Awakens, but not as good as Last Jedi IMO. On its own, it's a decent film, but really underwhelming as a finale for both a trilogy and especially for a nine-film saga. The final battle feels exactly the same as the ones in I-VIII and lacks the "last stand" we saw in finales earlier this year with Avengers: Endgame and Game of Thrones.

And Hux being a spy was completely stupid and came out of nowhere. I get that he wants to take over as Supreme Leader, but surely there are better ways of going about it than sabotaging your allies while at war? Isn't Kylo Ren supposed to be great at reading people's minds? How the hell did he not pick up on that?

Reactions: Livetaswim06