Studio Tour | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Studio Tour

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Couple of things for you all (yes I am an insider):

1. Fast and Furious is closed because the current producers went on a tour did not want their brand associated with the animation and it will not be back.

2. The new 3d F&F will be begin construction this Fall on the site of the Mummy's Tomb which will be demolished to make way - new F&F to open Summer 2014.
3. Spartacus Square sets have been condemned as a hazard and will likely be demolished soon. Just too old and rotted to be saved.

4. Also on the demolition list of phase 2 Phoenix Project will be the six points sets and Denver Street, once again too old and rotted.
5. Look for the Plane crash to go to make way for another soundstage.

More to come.  

1. Fast and Furious is closed because the current producers went on a tour did not want their brand associated with the animation and it will not be back.
Welcome Trammer! Thanks for taking the time to join us.

About your first point - we've heard this before from other sources. Are they planning to replace Fast and Furious with a new attraction, or will they simply rebrand the existing mechanics?

As for the tomb, Spartacus Square, Six Points and Denver - I'm sad to see those go. The tomb has been an element of the tour for decades, and I'm really not sure what they could do with the space that doesn't involve 3D animation. Nonetheless, I'm excited for what's to come if this comes to fruition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Allen The Actor
Wowzers. What do you mean when you say you're an insider? Haha
That's never a good question to ask, bud ;)

2. The new 3d F&F will be begin construction this Fall on the site of the Mummy's Tomb which will be demolished to make way - new F&F to open Summer 2014.

3. Spartacus Square sets have been condemned as a hazard and will likely be demolished soon. Just too old and rotted to be saved.

4. Also on the demolition list of phase 2 Phoenix Project will be the six points sets and Denver Street, once again too old and rotted.

5. Look for the Plane crash to go to make way for another soundstage.

More to come.
Welcome! You're obviously an insider since you used the proper term used for the tram "ride segments": animations :)

I'm glad to see the current F&F go. Never liked it, and I'm not surprised the current producers hated it. Kinda surprised that any executive ever thought it was a good idea.

However, I'm disappointed that a nee F&F will apparently replace the Spinning Tunnel. As Jon has said, it's been at Universal forever and has been such a staple on the tour with such a cool physical/optical illusion.

What will replace the current F&F location? Is there not enough room to enclose the current F&F "soundstage" and build up and make it taller and indoors? Or is that too impractical for a new 3D attraction?

As for the new one being 3D, can't say I'm surprised....at all. We've all speculated that. Will give the guests an even better incentive to hold on to their Kong 3D glasses. I'm so tired of 3D at USH but can't say i'm surprised. If it's indeed opening next year, that'll be TWO 3D attractions in one year. But hey, anything is better than the current F&F. I guess it WOULD be cool for the tram to race around with some race cars in 3D on both side. But ill miss the tunnel.

As for the demolition of Six Points Texas, I've heard that for quite some time. I was hoping that it's not true considering we already lost most of Denver street. Hopefully we'll get a new western street.

I hope we'll also get a new Roman set as well. The current one is in terrible condition. Sad that we're losing a piece of history but I'm open to something new.

As for a new soundstage going where the WotW plane crash is, I'm curious if this will be a strictly studio soundstage or another tour animation as well?

Welcome Trammer! Thanks for joining and for the info!

I'd be so sad to see those pieces of universal history go...namely six points and the square. But for once I think I can let go without whining forever afterwards! =P

A separate note - and as a preface I'm not mad, but this request goes for everyone:

Do NOT ask anyone who seems like an insider anything about their position or say anything publicly on the forums about their status. Please.

Reactions: Trammer
I never knew there was a phase 2 to the Pheonix Project. I am a bit confused why the project wants to get rid of the Crash site. It is a spectacular scene, and one of the only crash site sets ever. I see that the neighbors up on the hill want peace during HHN.

As spectacular as the WotW set is, it makes me uncomfortable. Like, it's one of those things where you can't look away even if it looks weird. It's very...grand and detailed....but uncomfortable. I think they kept it around for this long to justify Spielberg's price tag for buying and tearing up the plane :p haha

Fun fact in case anyone didn't know: a few times, other aircrafts reported seeing what looks like a 747 that crashed in a neighborhood. The back tail fin still had some signage from the original plane sponsor/brand company, which Universal painted over with grey paint after freaking out other planes in the sky.

I'm all for the removal of the set if it means that we could maybe get a soundstage in place of it for a tram attraction. And it wouldn't bother the neighbors!

On a side note, I always still thought that F&F deserved to be BTTF's replacement. Felt so natural, too. I don't like the movies, but it would have been very cool to virtually race along and to get ourselves into a race car.

But I'm sure it also had to do with merchandise. Simpson's has more merchandise opportunities over F&F.

May the Schwartz be with you.

I cant speak for all but I'm sure most of us always expected Six points and Denver st to go, Westerns have not been relevant in a very long time. Yes you have one good one every decade but this area could be put to way better use. The tunnel I have heard slight possible rumors but had nothing solid, will be very sad to see this icon of Universal Studios gone. WOW set I have to say was my favorite part of the tour for years after it was installed on the lot, the scope of the area is so grand and well done that it gave me chills every time we stopped by. It will be sad to see this also leave the backlot(as it was one thing on the backlot the felt real and raw) but I understand that this area will be better put to use for sound-stages that will not bother neighbors so much.

Question to all: what other full sets could USH build that could replace current old sets?

EX) Jungle sets, More Colonial type streets ect.....

So does this mean that Fast and Furious is closed for good?
From what Ive heard since its closing over a month ago is yes it is closed for good. This area may be still used for something different but IDK if USH has currently planned anything. In the EP their is shown to be some kind of new attraction right were Universal picture cars are at but no conformation on any theme. Im thinking maybe they create a building to house the cars so they are not damaged by the elements. I think that would be cool to drive through a building with picture cars.

From what Ive heard since its closing over a month ago is yes it is closed for good. This area may be still used for something different but IDK if USH has currently planned anything. In the EP their is shown to be some kind of new attraction right were Universal picture cars are at but no conformation on any theme. Im thinking maybe they create a building to house the cars so they are not damaged by the elements. I think that would be cool to drive through a building with picture cars.
And also have cool lighting features.. Ooo

I've always wanted a high quality dedicated space for the picture cars. Not have them outside and on damn sand....beyond the DeLorean (and even that, only recently), Universal hasn't had that much respect for its picture cars. It'd be cool to drive through a "picture cars attraction" and have little segments from different movies featuring the different cars. A sort of "great movie ride" from Disney but focused on cars!