Super Nintendo World - Hollywood (General Discussion) | Page 256 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World - Hollywood (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I’m not digging at the movies capability of being a success, I just have a difficult time thinking it will come close to cracking that. $800 Mil is my prediction

Reactions: Eckert
I mean......Mario Land seems to be at the hype levels I predicted and think many on here just have a Bis On Nintendo.

Nintendo is already huge and million of new players young and old just picked up the Switch because of Covid....that with the fact that GE like stupid simple films (the internet makes you think they want something new...nope just fun and simple) so I could be wrong but I think its going to join the billion dollar movie club

Okay I think we all realize why Universal went with an interactive based, not racing ride. We get it, they get it. There are justifiable and logistical reasons.

This doesn’t help the perception problem however.

You can justify and have good reasons for all choices, but if it doesn’t resonate with the GP (which the jury is still out, the majority of the GP has not experienced yet, so we need proper data first), then the reasons don’t matter.

The key markers here, which I will be watching for is:

- Does the GP have fun and want to get on again?
- Does the ride give the GP what they expected or wanted? Does it fulfill its promise and live up to the Mario Kart brand?

Okay and if they had made a ride that went faster but just had you racing each other, people would then complain that it's not like the game because they weren't able to shoot shells at other racers.
Honestly, just pure racing with the power-ups just being represented as special effects on the ride would had actually been more close to Mario Kart than spamming shells. The ride actually already does this, as besides the shells, all the other power-ups are used as special effects throughout.

What the ride currently is at the moment is almost nothing like Mario Kart (though I do love the premise and wish they went further with it).

50cc is slow, but its not THAT slow.

Honestly though, I still stand my ground (even after riding it a couple of times) that Mario Kart as an IP was a conceptually flawed pick for the E-ticket dark ride. Yes, Mario Kart was the very first thing people thought of when the Nintendo and Universal collaboration was announced waaay back in 2015. But I just dont think it works on a conceptual level in its current form.

Technical marvel? Holy moly YES.

But was it a right choice for Mario Kart?

I've never felt so conflicted on a ride before. This tech is amazing, but it would have worked sooooooooooo much better for a Luigi's Mansion dark ride.

Like they HAVE to revist this tech with Luigi's Mansion. You just cant pass up an opportunity like that. It was tailored made for it.

Everyone gets a vaccum and help Luigi suck up some ghosts and rescue Mario from King Boo.

You could give the AR goggles a canonical reason as to why they exist. Theyd be ghost goggles invented by E.Gad, which allow you to see the ghosts as they interact with physical props. Luigi would be represented via physical animatronics and screens.

Last edited:
Well, I hope people dislike this ride wont clog up the Q, let people like me who enjoy it walk on then. Lol

Like put your money where you mouth is, I went on Web slingers didn't like it an wont go on it unless its a walk on now....so do the same if you are truly unhappy with the ride

You have the right to your own thoughts but the mental gymnastics some of you are pulling to dislike the ride is just funny to me. I've been on the ride 6 times and its fun....thats it. Its very detailed colorful and the interactive stuff is great after the first go.

I grew up with Mario Kart, my dad and I played the N64 games with my brother for hourssssss on end and hope we get to ride it with him one day because I think he will love it to. So as a HUGE MK fan I have to disagree with it needing to be a thrill
(also I;ll laugh so hard when the DK ride comes out and many are like its a cool ride and thrilling but is it themed enough...because some people will never be happy)

Well, I hope people dislike this ride wont clog up the Q, let people like me who enjoy it walk on then. Lol

Like put your money where you mouth is, I went on Web slingers didn't like it an wont go on it unless its a walk on now....so do the same if you are truly unhappy with the ride

You have the right to your own thoughts but the mental gymnastics some of you are pulling to dislike the ride is just funny to me. I've been on the ride 6 times and its fun....thats it. Its very detailed colorful and the interactive stuff is great after the first go.

I grew up with Mario Kart, my dad and I played the N64 games with my brother for hourssssss on end and hope we get to ride it with him one day because I think he will love it to. So as a HUGE MK fan I have to disagree with it needing to be a thrill
(also I;ll laugh so hard when the DK ride comes out and many are like its a cool ride and thrilling but is it themed enough...because some people will never be happy)

Dude, please, please stop. We get it. You love the ride. Other people are allowed to not like it or be disappointed by it or simply just talk about what it could've been. Diminishing others' opinions by mocking them as going through "mental gymnastics" is messed up. We all know you're a Nintendo fan. And that's awesome. It really is. I'm not knocking that at all! It's really cool that you love SNW. But not everyone is going to - or has to - have the same perspective on the land, the ride, and Nintendo as you do, but it perpetually feels as though you constantly want everyone to agree with you, and that anyone who doesn't is wrong, or an idiot, and anytime someone points that out, you seem to respond with blanket statement mockery about the umbrella "everyone." Like, we all want to engage in constructive discourse, but repeating the same commentary over and over ad nauseam isn't the way to contribute to that.

Edit: Sorry @Brian G., you commented right as I was typing this up and didn't see your response! I didn't mean to derail this thread further, so forgive me.

I’ve always maintained that the issue is not that they didn’t build a fast ride, the issue is they used an IP that has specific expectations.

All they needed to do was build a Mario Adventure attraction. Base it off Odyssey. Base it off Mario 64. Base it off all the above and go through various eras.

Create some fun interactive bits with coins, throw Cappy at baddies. Give us full AA’s of the characters, especially Bowser.

This is exactly how I feel.

With modern technology, the only way you can maybe create a satisfactory MK ride is something like Tron--and at least in FL, we already have more than enough launched coasters.

I feel like a reverse RSR would have worked too - start off as a high speed race, get halted after being “hit” by a shell, and finish the race with the current system - while trying to beat Bowser.

Worth noting that while MK was in development for Japan Mr. Miyamamoto-San also wanted a high speed thrill ride and more features for the MK attraction, where Uni had to step in from the perspective of an attraction designer to balance those needs.

Okay I think we all realize why Universal went with an interactive based, not racing ride. We get it, they get it. There are justifiable and logistical reasons.

This doesn’t help the perception problem however.

You can justify and have good reasons for all choices, but if it doesn’t resonate with the GP (which the jury is still out, the majority of the GP has not experienced yet, so we need proper data first), then the reasons don’t matter.

The key markers here, which I will be watching for is:

- Does the GP have fun and want to get on again?
- Does the ride give the GP what they expected or wanted? Does it fulfill its promise and live up to the Mario Kart brand?

I think perception is overhyped and short lived. Sure, there will be some disappointment initially, but that’s because the GP has no idea what to expect. Their metrics will shift over time once they recognize what it is. An initial poor experience in MK is not enough to stop going to Universal (unless you’re in the small minority who are visiting the park for the first time only because of Mario.)

I think perception is overhyped and short lived. Sure, there will be some disappointment initially, but that’s because the GP has no idea what to expect. Their metrics will shift over time once they recognize what it is. An initial poor experience in MK is not enough to stop going to Universal (unless you’re in the small minority who are visiting the park for the first time only because of Mario.)
???

Who ever said this?

???

Who ever said this?

It was the sentiment of a lot of Harry Potter fans at first who had claimed they had never stepped foot in the parks and only made a beeline to Potter, spent all their time (and money, thankfully) there, and then exited. Not sure if there are Mario fans as rabid but I already know people visiting USH for Mario who otherwise had never visited.

Reactions: Nico
???

Who ever said this?

I said it. It appears you agree. To me it makes the whole perception conversation irrelevant. Universal doesn’t care if some people believe the ride isn’t what they would have made. Universal cares about guest spend and attendance. Yes scores are important, but I believe they are reflections of initial perception, and thus short lived. Now if 5 years from now, MK is pulling in Supercharged scores, then I’ll eat my hat. Im sure Universal knows they can’t make everyone happy.

Reactions: Mad Dog and chris.g